Friday, November 21, 2014
Well ... the good news is it's another week staying under 150. The bad news is that I'm up again. It's funny how quickly your perspective can change. I just updated my WeeklyWeighIns page - a simple listing of the once a week weight, which is a different look than this weekly check-in. I remember back in mid-September, for my WWI#61 I was THRILLED to see 147.6. Absolutely ecstatic about it! Now? Not nearly as happy about it, having had several lower scale readings the past few weeks. But ... as I mentioned up top, I did stay under 150, which is my main goal.
Last weekend wasn't great. I was running low on energy starting Thursday night, so my Friday, Saturday and Sunday weren't wonderful ... but that's not unusual for my weekends. My Mondays are generally pretty great, but not as much this week. I got in the activity, but also went overboard on the eating. I had great days Tuesday and Thursday, Wednesday was pretty good too (Hubby's birthday). But I was eating a bit more overall. It IS TOM time this week as well ...
NUMBERS: Up 1.7 from last week (ouch!). Average is also up (1.98 there, ouch again). My eating wasn't as bad as I thought ... I averaged an intake of 2114. My activity averaged at 2973. It all equaled out to a deficit of 4000. So not sure WHY I'm up so much.
I'll keep at it and hopefully we'll drop a bit again ... enough that I'm not afraid of popping over 150 with a bad day. Next week though? It's going to be challenging! I mean ... it's THANKSGIVING on Thursday. It also means the kids out of school (which means sleeping in and a disruption of my schedule). I'm also on deck to make dinner for 40+ teenage boys on Monday (apparently all parents are required to "volunteer" to do this as a pre-game activity). I'll be watching my son in his first basketball game on Tuesday. We have friends coming in from out of town to spend the day on Wednesday ... and did I mention Thanksgiving? I'm NOT going out shopping on Friday, but I don't know if the Zumba classes are still going, as that's pretty much a holiday too ...
I'm a little nervous about next week.
Maybe I'll be too nervous/busy to eat?
Link-up with ...
Tuesday, November 18, 2014
Oops ... I didn't get a post up yesterday. Usually I do! Monday is my MOTIVATED day. The return to routine, back to the structure of the schedule. I do SO much better Mon-Thursday. Weekends? I'm "weak" ... exercise and eating suffer. I don't know that I really relax, but I don't hold myself to the same standard. It's the weekend ...
Yesterday, I was a little nervous to step on the scale. I'd bumped up a bit even for my Friday weigh-in. Up a little more Saturday morning. Up a little more on Sunday. Would I be able to stay on my "under 150" trend? I did. 148.9 Monday morning. But as I didn't get my post up yesterday, I also didn't keep my calories in check (had the folks over for "Grandparents and Games" night, with pizza and ice cream). Even though I got in quite a bit of exercise during the day... I was up to 149.6 this morning. So if I want to stay in my happy 145-150 range, I'd better shape up! No relaxing!
This past WEAKend wasn't great as far as food/fitness. The decline actually started Thursday night. I went to Zumba in the evening (after hitting a class in the morning too). Usually this is a good thing. One final push before the official Friday morning weigh-in. But last Thursday? I felt off. A little light-headed. I was COLD (instead of sweaty and hot). My heart rate dropped ... and I didn't care. I finished the class, but didn't get great numbers. I thought maybe I hadn't eaten enough, so I did eat more when I got home.
Friday morning weight was up a bit. I went to Zumba and felt pretty good. Not my usual bouncy self, but nothing like last night. I got in my hour of elliptical spread throughout the day, but I took it pretty easy.
Saturday was fairly low-key. I slept in. The hubs and I hit a matinee at Hale Theater. This is more high class than the Desert Star theater which we also frequent (and which I really do love). I actually performed at Hale Theater myself years ago when they first moved to Utah ... before they turned professional.
The show was "Catch Me If You Can" which you may recall as a movie starring Tom Hanks and Leonardo Dicaprio some years ago. I really enjoyed the movie, and I also read the book and really liked it. I enjoyed the play too. It was a musical, a bit too much dancing. I like dancing ... admire it as I can't do it myself. It was just a little overpowering on such a small stage (it's theater in the round). It really must be quite a workout for those dancers every single performance! It would be interesting to strap a heart rate monitor and Fitbit on them and get their stats! *Ü*
Unlike Desert Star, it isn't a dinner theater ... so I didn't go completely overboard on popcorn, cheesy bread & drinks. But they do sell concessions, and Hubs bought me a GREAT BIG chocolate chip cookie.
#3 had a basketball game Saturday evening. I did my usual pacing around before and during the game and got in 7000+ steps. Not really active steps, but steps none the less. Better than just sitting. I don't like just sitting. I just hope I don't look too weird walking around. Everyone should be watching the game anyway, right? Pretty easy win for the boys, the final game of this season ... but the next season is just around the corner (and I'll have three boys playing then, #3 playing in two leagues, so double the games and practices for him).
On Sunday I made the traditional Sunday Circles breakfast. This week I DID NOT EAT A WAFFLE. Every week I tell myself I can make them but not eat them ... but I always end up eating one. I didn't this week. I missed it a bit, but you know ... it was ok. I still snuck some bacon and hash browns, but I actually kept calories in check. I made baked ziti for the boys for dinner ... I don't eat that myself, so no temptation there. I actually LOVE making dinners I don't like. It's very helpful in controlling my eating!
I didn't even have any "anxiety child" excuses yesterday! #4 went to school ... maybe not happily, but willingly, with no tears. Unheard of for a Monday morning lately! He really struggles going back to school after spending the weekend in his home happy place. I think distraction is a key with him. We were very busy in the morning finding homophones (those words that sound the same, but are spelled differently and have different meanings). It was fun and it kept his mind occupied I think. On that note ...
I need to make sure my WEEKends aren't WEAKends!
Linking up with MIMM (a day late and a couple pounds over!)
Sunday, November 16, 2014
A look back at my Zumba classes this week.
Five different classes. Several different instructors.
Stacking up the Stats.
- Monday with Southziders ... I wasn't sure I was going to get a Monday class, as Southziders were going to do a bit for Fox News instead of our class. That ended up not happening, so class was back on (although due to the confusion it was smaller than usual). But I was so happy to have class, it's how I like to start my week! Good numbers today!
- Tuesdays with Marian's Class... I actually made it on time today! We had a fairly full class today. Happy to have more people coming. I missed my shadow (#4, who I left at school sobbing this morning). Was it only a week ago he came with me? Feels like forever (as we try to figure out what to do about his anxiety issues). Good numbers ... SO close to 500/7000 on the Fitbit!
- Wednesday with MZL ... We did get a little extra time today which does help push the stats up. I was happy to make it on time today... I've been bringing my Zumba stuff with me as I drop the kids off at school (and have to peel away from #4). I used to make a quick trip back home but that hasn't been happening of late. It was a very good class today. Started strong, and kept moving the entire time until the cool down. I didn't have water, and I think I needed it today!
- Thursday with Caludia & Co ... coming straight from the school I'm one of the first ones here (I didn't even have to walk the child to class today! He got out of the car himself!) but there are often a few things to do to get ready, like opening the overflow and closing the curtain to the chapel. Claudia, Marian, Kristy and Nina were the instructors today. Nina even did "Solider Boy" which I had requested. Several new songs though. I am getting better at picking up steps.
- Thursday with Marian ... evening class. I was a little late as I had to grab #3 from the middle school and drop him at the high school (going from one basketball practice to the next). I was NOT feeling 100% though. I'm not sure what was up with me. I felt lightheaded and chilled (usually Zumba makes me hot!). My heart rate dropped and I didn't really even have the energy to care. There were only four of us there, and that might have affected the energy a bit too. I did finish the class. I think maybe I hadn't eaten enough ...
- Friday with Heather ... the gym is freezing when we enter, but we soon warm things up. There were SO many kids today! Around 12 adults, and twice as many children playing on the stage. It's a little distracting ... and maybe more so when they all disappear (I wonder what they are doing then?) A few new faces I hadn't seen before. Missing T who hurt her knee on Wednesday. Some sound issues, a short in the system. Hope it gets fixed! :)
Took a break from Zumba Saturday and Sunday ... back at it tomorrow!
Friday, November 14, 2014
I wasn't sure how this week would go. It was a birthday week, with ensuing celebrations. We went out to dinner on Saturday for my mom's birthday. Out to dinner again (with cake after) on Monday for my birthday. I was really surprised when I didn't have more of a bump up after all that. My Thursday morning weigh-in was right on track, so I thought I was good. I had a good day on Thursday too, kept calories fairly in check, got in a lot of cardio (two Zumba sessions). I was surprised when weight was up a bit for my official weigh-in.
NUMBERS: Weight was up 1.1 from last week. My average weight was down (just a tiny bit, -.56 to 146.01). My eating intake was up, 2314. My exercise average was 3056, so still pretty good. It evened out to a deficit for the week of -3199. That didn't show on the scale, but oh well. Another solid week under 150, I count that as a win. I love being in the 140's after SO long stuck in the 150s!
Alas, no Friday Five again this week, but I'll join my weekly check-in link-ups:
Tuesday, November 11, 2014
Yesterday was my birthday. In addition to going out to dinner and having family over for cake, Hubs got me some red roses, and wrote up a nice tribute on Facebook for our friends and family to see. He said ...
Did you know:
- This girl WILL NOT eat pizza. PERIOD.
- She does not like when I try on her bras (I know...TMI)
- She has attended/videoed/cheered on more of our boys' sporting events than me by a ratio of 30:1 (and that's probably conservative)
- One year we were needing a new family vehicle and I needed a new work vehicle...almost without hesitating she said: No, I think you should get a new truck. (true love, right?)
- Favorite restaurant: TIE - Red Robin and Texas Roadhouse
- Favorite color: gray (get it? wink wink)
- MIGHT have an acute anxiety for driving
- She is a walking infomercial for FitBit
- Zumba, anyone?
- A voracious reader! The length of the list of books she's read boggles my mind
- She is the consummate caregiver. She might actually enjoy when I'm under the weather because it's then that she can "take care" of me. And, yes, I'm guilty of milking my illness from time to time because I know how good I have it.
- She is the mother to 5 boys who simply don't know how good they have it. Someday they'll get it.
Here's to you, babe. Happy birthday! Love you
Wasn't that sweet? But this post isn't about my birthday, but rather about bullet #10. I'm a reader! I've been happy to combine this love with my love of staying active, by "reading and riding". I'm a convert to digital books, and my Ipad and/or Kindle fit perfectly on the stationary bike. Unlike a regular book, where turning the pages and trying to keep them open can be an issue, digital books are so user friendly. The lighting in the gym isn't great, but that's ok, as digital books have a backlight.
Another wonderful thing about digital books is the ability to borrow them so easily. I love my library! It's pretty close by, but it was still a bit of a pain to have to go in and check out the books, and return them by the due dates. Borrowing books makes it a snap. I can make a wishlist, see which ones are available immediately. Those that are already checked out, I can put on hold. When it is my turn to check them out, I simply click and download. Returning is just as easy ... or do nothing and they simply "go back" when they are due. No late fees. I've been borrowing a LOT of books from my library lately!
As I opened up my Kindle app the other day, I noticed all the white "covers". Those are books that "expired" and went back into rotation at the library. It's fine ... I was done with all of them! In the past, I did like to own books, and reread my favorites. But now? There are SO many out there and they are so easy to obtain, I don't know that I'll ever read a book twice again! Also ... some of the selections are for the kids (I'm not reading Zombie Goldfish or Big Nate myself ... although I do often read the kids books just to keep apprised of what they are reading).
Speaking of the Kindle ... that is my favorite way to read my digital books. Not ON the Kindle mind you, although I do have one. I prefer the Kindle app on my Iphone. I know it's small, but it's perfect for reading on the go or in bed. I recall reading book 5 in the Harry Potter series while pregnant with #4. That book was SO heavy! I'd rest it on my big belly and the baby would kick at it - I think it was too heavy for him too! My phone is so light, and it has a light (so I don't need a lamp) and I always have it with me anyway.
We did invest in Amazon Prime ... in addition to the free 2-day shipping and the streamable shows, our Prime membership allows us access to the Kindle Lending Library. Once a month, I can borrow a book (on the Kindle, it doesn't work on the app unfortunately). So in addition to my library borrowing, I grab one from Amazon every month too. Many are available there that aren't at the local library (many indie authors and such ... not all are winners, but it's still a nice option to have).
Just as the television is a motivator for the elliptical and treadmill time, my books are a great motivator for me to hit the bike. As I've started up monthly posts about What I've Been Watching, I thought I'd check in each month or so with a quick spotlight on what I've been reading. I have touched on the topic a few times before in the blog (books) but I figured maybe I'd make it a regular feature (as my friend Runaway Bridal Planner does on her blog). I always like to look back on what I've read ... so I'll put it here and you can peek too! So if you're interested, check back on the second Tuesday of next month!
Are you a book buyer, or book borrower?
Monday, November 10, 2014
My Polar greeted me this morning. Yup. It's my birthday. It was actually 6:30 in the morning when I picked it up ... I never got around to changing its clock during daylight savings last weekend. I'm not sure that I will.
I actually had a pretty good Monday morning weigh-in (147.1). Yes, it's up from Friday's official weekly weigh-in, but not as bad as last Monday. We are going out to a birthday dinner tonight, and then having some cake, so I'm not sure about tomorrow!
It was a pretty good weekend though ...
- Friday, the elementary kids were out of school. I still hit my Zumba class, but went on a bit of a Halloween candy binge. I didn't get in quite as many steps as usual, as I spent much of the day making a quilt for Hubs (his birthday is coming up quick too). Friday was my mom's birthday. The siblings were getting together, but Hubs and I weren't able to make it.
- Saturday ... started the day cheering on #3 at his basketball game. Lately, I've been trying to walk around during the games. I usually get in 4000-6000 steps. There wasn't really a good walking spot, but there were bleachers. I had a section to myself (so I wouldn't bug anyone) and I did a little "step up, step down" during the game. I got in 4000+ steps and actually worked up a pretty good sweat!
Saturday evening, I had made plans to take Mom out to dinner. My sister, my brother and his wife joined us. We went to a nice Chinese restaurant, and then back to the folks house to play games.
- Sunday was busy. We had the primary program at our church. #4 was NOT very happy about participating. Hubs mom (Maga) came out to see the boys. Then we had to rush to my brother's church, where they were blessing their baby. We went to their house after to socialize ... and eat too many cookies!
The little boys and Maga ...
I did get in elliptical each day, and tried to combat the calories. With the candy, dinner out and cookies, I'm pretty happy I am where I am this Monday morning. I SHOULD have eaten better today ... banked some calories for Texas Roadhouse and some cake. Alas ... oh well, it's only my birthday once a year, right?
Linking up with Marvelous in my Monday ... how was your weekend?
Sunday, November 9, 2014
Weekly re-cap and stacked stats.
A variety of different Zumba classes and instructors.
How do they compare?
Another week of Zumba ... I got six classes in. Not a Saturday class, but double duty on Thursday. This past week, my eleven year old son attended two classes with me. I thought he did pretty good! Here is the rundown ...
- Monday at Southziders ... It was a really rough morning with #4, I wasn't sure if I would be able to get my heart into Zumba, but it was nice to have the release. I was a little late (having to stay at the school for a while with my anxiety child), missed most of the first number. Glad it still went over an hour. Nice to have Nina and her bouncy energy back! They had me do Hava Nagila. There were a couple "arm" songs that look deceptively easy, but really bring the burn! Ouch!
- Tuesday with Marian ... I was late again. I just can't quite get the kids off and get to class. Mornings have been especially rough lately with anxiety child. In fact said child accompanied me to Zumba today. I told him he had to join in and I wanted him to get 6000 steps (he was just shy of it). I thought he did pretty good for his first time! I did a couple of numbers (Steph and Suzanne, who sometimes help out weren't there today).
- Wednesday with MZL ... Class was longer than an hour, I was late (more anxiety child issues!) Good class, although I missed a few favorite numbers. I guess I should put in requests (they do take them!)
- Thursday Morning with Claudia&Co...Good to get back to this class after missing a couple weeks for school functions! Just Claudia and Marian for most of the time, with Nina coming in at the end. Got my "Cha Cha Swing" on. I was actually early today, coming straight from dropping off the kids at school (and #4 went without too much issue today).
- Thursday Evening with Marian ... I was free this evening, so I hit Zumba, bringing along #4 again. He gave out after 40 minutes. We were a little late, so we didn't get in the full hour. Good numbers for the time I was there. Trying to figure out if the carpet makes it "harder" driving the heart rate up?
- Friday with Heather ... the elementary was out today, and I wondered leaving the boys as long as it would take to get across town to this class. But it's hard to miss, and the boys said they would be fine. Heather had been under the weather and had sick kids, so this was her first full day back in a bit. I miss the A/C in the building ... the churches turn it off for winter I guess. It was really cool when we first got into the gym, but we heated it up quick enough.
Nice to get back to five different classes. All the instructors have their own style. Different crowds, different methods. SO many different songs! I wonder how the instructors choose the ones to fill the hour?
Friday, November 7, 2014
Since I've been blogging about my weight loss for over a year now, I haven't missed an official Friday weigh-in post! Of course I didn't miss the weigh-in, but I didn't get around to blogging! I figured better late than never ... AND I'll backdate this post to Friday too! It's the OCD in me.
My weight was up just a bit. Up .7 from last week's weigh-in. My average was up .41. But you know, it's all good. I'm staying in the 145-150 range, after months of being stuck at 150-155. Monday morning was the high, as usual after a weekend (the Halloween weekend no less). I was pretty good on Monday, but we did end up with an impromptu dinner, so I didn't get my usual drop Tuesday morning. I kept working all week, and did manage to get a decent official weigh-in for Friday.
It's actually been a pretty stressful week. Anxiety Child (#4) has really been struggling. You can read more about the day to day stuff in my daily doings. Despite it all, I still got in my exercise. I think it actually keeps me sane! I just got in one weight workout, but got in my hour of elliptical every day (I got "Nashville" season 1 from the library and am trying to get through all five disks in a week, as they are due back), plus a lot of reading and riding and "hikes" on my treadmill (at an incline). Zumba Mon-Fri, with a double dose on Thursday.
NUMBERS: Even with Halloween and a family trip to Red Robin, I kept calories in check. They averaged out at 1979 per day (under 2000 is my goal). I stayed active, getting in some big step days. My average calorie burn was 3111 (I try for 3000). Crunching the ins and outs, my numbers show a deficit for the week of -7523. My weight doesn't reflect that (that would be almost a two pound loss) but I'm happy to see that number anyway. For months, I seemed to usually end up with a deficit, but it was always rather small.
I'm completely happy with my week, even though I didn't get a loss. At this point I'd be fine maintaining ... although I'm not moving into maintenance mode (as I managed to barely maintain while actively trying to lose still). Some challenges this upcoming week ... birthdays! Which means cake and dinner's out. Check in next week to see how it all goes.
Tuesday, November 4, 2014
Time for another TV Talk Tuesday.
What are YOU watching?
Because I don't watch any "live" television, I don't see the commercials and I'm not really in the know about the new seasons. I do "like" The Walking Dead on Facebook, and had been aware that the new season was starting up last month. I mentioned to my mom I didn't know if I should start watching my other regulars ... Grey's Anatomy, The Good Wife, Scandal, when they started up. My mother surprised me by saying "Oh, they've started!" I was completely unaware!
Over the past several months, I've really only watched using Netflix or Amazon Prime. My PlayOn application is nice, but just requires a bit more work. But with NEW stuff, PlayOn is my gateway. I can record the episodes as soon as the networks post them (usually the morning after they aired, although ABC has a week delay). I can then stream the shows to my home gym and watch them while working out.
A WONDERFUL new feature PlayOn/PlayLater just introduced is "ad skipper" ... it automatically jumps over the ads. I LOVE it! I can't stand commercials, even if I could manually fast forward through them.
So ... I haven't watched Netflix or Amazon Prime in the past few weeks, but have now gone back to Play On and watching shows that have recently aired. I post here often that I like Mondays. I like the return to the routine. This time of year, there is also motivation ala TV series! *Ü* The Walking Dead, The Good Wife, and Downton Abby have new episodes posted Monday morning. I usually don't get to them all on Monday, but it is motivation for me to get back to my gym so I can see them before I hear any spoilers!
Grey's Anatomy and Scandal are on Thursday nights ... so I grab those episodes on Friday, and hopefully that gives me a little motivation to workout over the weekend.
I do enjoy "The Voice" ... I really like the blind auditions and the battle rounds. After that, I lose a little interest. But I like at least having a basic knowledge of the competitors, so I can follow the conversation. A few seasons ago, my boys really got into the show. They would root for certain singers, vote, and buy some songs on Itunes. It was a fun family affair. I asked the boys if they were interested in this season and they said no. I recorded a few of the first episodes, and turned them on while I cleaned up the kitchen. That was all it took to get the boys hooked again. I haven't been able to keep up with how quickly the boys watch the episodes, so I've just seen a little hear and there. I'll try to catch up down in my gym when I can (but the other shows usually take precedence).
Anythings else new ... I'm really not interested in. I'll just wait!
I can barely keep up with this list as is!
What are YOU watching?
Monday, November 3, 2014
We've had such wonderful weather this October. We couldn't have asked for anything nicer than Halloween! It was 72° ... a perfect night to be walking around the neighborhood trick-or-treating. The hubs set up the projector and play "It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown" as he handed out candy, with the help of #1 and #3 (#2 ... Mr. Social was out with friends as usual). I supervised the two little ones as they gathered candy from around the neighborhood. I got a little over 6000 steps, we headed back home after about an hour.
The boys then do their annual "sort" ... separating out their favorites (Kit Kats top the list) and donating anything peanut/peanut butter to me or the older boys (#5 is allergic, #4 just doesn't like peanut butter). I did indulge in a little candy.
Saturday #1 went out and bought donuts. DONUTS. I can't resist donuts! Then hubs suggested a day date to the mall. We walked around, checked out "The Container Store" and grabbed a pretzel. Calories in were not great on Saturday. I did get my hour of elliptical in, and walked during #3's basketball game (got 6000+ steps).
Sunday I got in my hour of elliptical. In addition to the usual temptation of our weekly "Sunday Circles" breakfast, #1 had made sugar cookies yesterday and there were extras. I decorated some of the "turkey cookies" (pictured in my CandyCorn post a couple weeks ago) and of course ate one too.
So this Monday morning, weight was NOT the lowest Monday weigh-in (after the low on Friday) but I did manage to squeak in under 150 still. But got to get back at it to lose the weekend weight gain! Back to the schedule of school and such. It was a long weekend (the kids had Friday off with the end of the quarter). Any weekend is hard for Anxiety Child, and a long weekend makes it even worse. Yesterday and today were BAD. I'm not sure what we are going to do. #2 is starting driver's ed before school, which means we need to get him to school earlier (and means a separate trip for me) ... at least with the Daylight Savings time change, it's a little easier. We'll see how it impacts my mornings.
Linking up with MIMM.