Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Working Out While Under the Weather

In the wee hours of the morning yesterday (about 3 am), I woke up with a tickle in my throat. It was annoying enough that I got up and ate something, just trying to "scratch the itch" but that didn't work. I tried to get back to sleep. That didn't happen. 

It wasn't a great day. I could feel my throat was swollen, not really sore (yet) but irritated. A dry cough. Just feeling off. #1 texted he wasn't feeling well and he came home from school and crashed. We were hacking it up.

Breathing in cold air always irritates my throat to a painful degree, even when I'm not feeling sick. When I'm outside during the winter, I have to have a scarf around my nose and mouth to warm the air a little before I inhale.  When I am feeling sick, I incorporate this (can I call this a Tip&Trick?) into my workouts as well. It is quite cool down in my basement gym... about 60°.  That's not a medical mask, it's actually a ear-warmer headband. I pull it down over my nose/mouth and breath through it and it helps. I really don't know if I'd be able to workout without it when my throat is irritated. Another benefit of a home gym *Ü* ... no one sees me (unless I post a picture on my blog!)

I still managed to get in five (20min) sessions on my elliptical yesterday. It takes more than a cold to keep me down. I did dial it down and kept it pretty easy, but it was better to be moving than just sitting around thinking about my throat. I've been chewing gum and sucking on hard candies to help soothe it as well. My eating has been affected ... and that's not a bad thing. Kept calories at 1300 yesterday. I did make some chicken soup, but nothing really tastes good. A hot shower at the end of the day helped a ton. I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to sleep last night, but I did ok.

Still definitely feeling it today, so I'll probably be taking it easy again. Moving if I feel up to it, resting if I don't. Maybe some elliptical, bike or walking ... no Jillian or jogging.

Even with little exercise, my calorie cutback did seem to show up on the scale.
My lowest weight in years.
So close to breaking into the 140s ...
Linking up with Weigh-In Wednesday.

How does sickness affect your exercise/eating?




7 comments:

  1. Girl, I'm telling you, you can do way less than 2000 calories a day!

    Sorry you aren't feeling good; don't be afraid to dial back the exercise; best thing for your body right now, besides water, is REST. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job on working out even when sick! That takes dedication!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it weird that exercising actually makes it pass faster and makes me feel better?? I breathe out of my mouth so if I had a throat issue then It may be a problem, but if my nose is stuffy I am good to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm rarely sick, but I don't exercise at all when I'm sick. I just rest up while reading weightlifting and yoga instructional books during my exercise hours. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read somewhere that as long as your cold symptoms are above your neck and you're not running a fever, it's fine to work out. Maybe just not as vigorously as before. So good for you on keeping it up. I hope you feel better soon.

    That photo of you is charmingly goofy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really listen to my body and if I am just too wiped out to exercise I don't, or just take a slow walk for a few minutes. I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Working out when you are sick is the worst!
    Hope you are feeling better :/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...