Monday, March 31, 2014

What a Crock

I've enjoyed being a part of the Motivation Monday team these past few months. Having a specific  theme can be a bit daunting, as I haven't always felt like I had something to say about a particular topic. But it's been a nice writing challenge. This week, the theme is "Healthy Crock Pot Recipes" ... now if you know me at all, you are aware that while I've jumped on the fitness bandwagon, I'm still not there on anything food related. I do have a couple of crocks, and I use them fairly often. I'm just not sure if it's for anything particularly "healthy" ...

The main thing I use crock pots for is to cook meat. It's slow but simple. Throw in a roast, or beef chunks and then just wait until they are done. Tender and juicy. We love to just eat a plain beef roast, or turn it into french dip. I'll drain the beef chunks and turn that into simple stroganoff (add a can of cream of chicken soup, a can of cream of mushroom soup, and some cooked noodles ... done. Told you it was simple.)

I'll put in some pork (a shoulder roast and some ribs) along with a can of root beer and let it cook until the meat falls apart. Drain, discard all the fatty stuff and any bones,  shred the meat and add some barbeque sauce. Pulled pork sandwiches.

Stick a turkey breast in the bigger crock pot and let it cook all day.

Crock pots are great for keep soups warm too. I make a chicken noodle, chicken veggie, and a chicken and wild rice soup, and I'll stick them on the counter in the crock pot to serve.

A word of warning ... do not try to melt chocolate in a crock pot. We have a chocolate fountain,  and we were wondering if the low setting on the crock might work to prep the chocolate for the fountain. We tried it ... it was a disaster! Burned chocolate smells terrible and it looked even worse. Stick to a double boiler for chocolate (although there was caramel served in a crock pot at a scout activity, and that seemed to work ok).

What do you use your crock pot to create?
This link up is open for several more days, so create a crock post and share it!

Join with the Motivation Monday team
Tiffany/Morgan/Wendy/Alisha/Betty
JenB/Brandi/Jen/Gwen /Theresa


1 comment:

  1. Chocolate smells so wonderful it's hard to believe it can smell that bad when it burns, but it does.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...