Monday, April 14, 2014

Challenge Yourself

It's Monday. I like Mondays! Back to the routine after the weekend. My boys are back. They had a bit of a hard time getting up  early this morning after their week of vacation, and they are still on New York time.  It's a short week though... Spring Break and the Easter weekend.

I visited the pages from the link-up last week. One of those links introduced me to Jasime at FleurtyandFit. She posted about attending a Kangaroo Jump class ... a what?

I've never heard of this before. Have you? Now admittedly, I'm not really a social exerciser. I don't go to the gym, and I've never attended an actual class. I've heard of spin, and body pump, and zumba ... but Kangaroo Jumps? What other unique exercise activities are out there? Jasmine and her friend did a lot ... a Rocky Balboa workout, and outdoor Zumba. If you didn't go visit her blog last week, check her out!
As I continued to browse blogs this weekend, I stumbled upon a recent challenge. The 1800minute Challenge. I'm a little late coming into this challenge, as it officially started April 1 and runs through the end of May. If you break up 1800minutes into those two months, it's a little more than 30minutes a day. If you've been reading my blog you know that's not a problem for me. So even though this doesn't really "challenge" me ... I signed up. You can too!

That is one of my failings ... the challenges that would actually be a CHALLENGE, I don't sign up for. I tend to gravitate toward the programs that simply reinforce what I would be doing anyway.  Like PACT, which I reviewed last week. The fitness and food logging is easy for me, but the veggie pact WOULD actually be a challenge. I've been debating trying that ... starting small, say five fruits/veggies for the week. Hmmmm, still debating ...
In one of the other programs I am participating in,  I'm getting close to my payout! I generally just link my Fitbit and other devices  (Fitbit/MFP/Facebook & Instagram) and forget about it. But as I get close to a payout, I do get a little antsy and start checking in more, and maybe actually do some additional activities that I would usually, just to earn a few more points. 

You can read about my experience with Achievemint, and I plan on doing another update soon. It's been a positive experience and I've had additional payouts *Ü*

Well ... back to classes. While I have never taken a class at a gym, I have attended Zumba at my local church. That lead to me find a couple other church classes. On Wendy's recent blog post, she referenced Zumba.com.  I checked it out and found another class nearby... and I'm going to try it today. That IS actually challenging myself, as trying new things is out of my comfort zone.

How do you feel about different classes and challenges? 
Do you seek them out? 
Do they motivate you?
Take this blogging challenge and link-up with the Motivation Monday team!







8 comments:

  1. This is a great post! You should really try the Kangoo Jumps class! It's so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I actually googled it and I couldn't see anything in my area ... I did look!

      Delete
  2. That class sounds interesting!

    I'm only good at challenges that involve instagram. Anything else I totally slack on LOL. Thanks for stopping by my blog this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have just started to Instagram ... but I'm not very consistent, so an Instagram challenge WOULD be very challenging for me! I can actually get Achievemint points for a fitness Instagram post.

      Delete
  3. I love challenges- especially when I can see on social media how everyone else is doing too- really keeps me motivated! I also like the classes but I haaate spending $ on them so I usually end up doing youtube workouts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... your name there does indicate you are the frugal sort :)

      I have a hard time spending money on classes too. That was one of the major motivators to get me to try the Zumba class at the church. It was free. I knew that so many people paid for Zumba, and here was a convenient option at no charge, event though it wasn't something I was comfortable with, the frugal part of me almost HAD to do it ... and I ended up loving it! I have yet to pay for a Zumba class, but at this point, I just might!

      Delete
  4. I like achievemint because I doubt have to think about it!!

    I thought I wasn't a social exerciser until I tried Zumba. Who knew! Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first couple Zumba classes I would think "at home, I could adjust this step, I could have my fan on" ... and I tried Zumba Wii at home a couple of time. I've found I NEED to social aspect of Zumba to keep going for an entire hour. I have started chatting more with a couple of the other ladies. One gal, knowing I have my Fitbit and HRM always comes to check on my stats :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...