Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Trying Something New

I'm quite notorious for staying in my comfort zone. I find something I like and I stick with it. Generally, I don't change things up until change is forced upon me. A few weeks ago, I mentioned I had grabbed some DVDs from my local library (Library Love). This was an attempt to TRY something new ... without making any real commitments (borrowing before buying).

First off, as I'm attending Zumba three times a week already, I didn't find the time to try the HipHopAbs DVD for more cardio (as I'm getting my elliptical and bike in each day as well). That one went back to the library unwatched, but I hope to give it a try at some point in the future. 

I have a weight workout on my schedule Mon/Wed/Fri, and while I am attached to my personal full body weight workout, I have shaken it up at times with a DVD. I've tried Jillian's 30 Day Shred, Ripped in 30 and No More Trouble Zones. I've given a few YouTube videos a go as well. I grabbed the DVDs pictured above and did give the other three a TRY ... I admit up front, I probably didn't give them as much of a try (a second or third attempt) as I should have. I know I don't like many workouts the first time around...but I was under a bit of a time crunch with due dates looming.
  • Jillian's Hard Body: If you look at the reviews on Amazon, you'll see two camps. Those who really like it, and others who ... didn't like it. I fell into the latter group. Many people mention the DJ ... I didn't care for the DJ. But for me, I just feel like Jillian is trying too hard to be innovative and different and she creates new routines. So many of the moves were compound moves, and were just moving so fast and difficult for me to follow. Rather than doing a situp, then rolling over and doing a superman ... I would rather do several situps, then do the supermans. I admit ... I just wasn't enjoying this enough to even continue all the way through. I turned it off and figure I'll just stick with 30DS or NMTZ. 
  • The Biggest Loser:  As I watched The Biggest Loser for the first time this past season, it was interesting for me to see Bob and Dolvett in action. I liked these fine, a mix of cardio and strength. I liked the regular people in the background, and the variations. The 15minute segments didn't quite work for me, as they would do a little warm-up ... I'm always already warmed up when I start one of these routines, I just want to get to it. The 15 minute program was too short, and I know you can combine the workouts, but it just lacked continuity for me that way. Right now, I think I'm getting in quite a bit of cardio on my own, so when I'm thinking "strength training" I'm looking more for straight strength training, without the cardio bursts. I may revisit this DVD at some point.
  • Jackie Xtreme Timesaver Training: I liked this workout. One 30minute strength routine. I wore my heart rate monitor and many of the moves, while not cardio, did keep my heart rate elevated.  I liked that. Here, the moves were done for one minute. Let me tell you, at times ... that was a LONG minute. I did have to stop and catch my breath and shake out my muscles a few times.  There wasn't really any dedicated ab work. I need ab work, but I don't really like ab work ... I didn't mind it being missing that much. I am debating buying this DVD to add to my rotation, but even though the $8 price tag isn't high, compared to Jillians 30DS, where you get three workouts for the same price ... Still thinking about it. I also thought I'd check out her Power Circuit which has good reviews before I buy (my library also has it). One thing I noticed ... while she's wearing skimpy little shorts there on the cover, in the video she has on big, baggy boy shorts. For some reason, this was a bit distracting.
Have YOU tried any of these DVDs?
What did you think?

While I was at the library, I grabbed a few MORE magazines. Why? I still have magazines up the wazoo (Mucho Magazines) and current subscriptions with new issues coming every month. Yet, seeing these past issues and wondering if I should add yet another subscription (again ... why? I have a magazine subscription problem) I thought I should check out this magazine aimed at us .... ahem, "older" women.

More magazine is a little more ... articley. There aren't really any of the big bold shout outs, or little tidbit features (like the BS Meter in Self Magazine which caused such an uproar recently). No real exercise routines, or big food features. Each issue does have a feature spotlighting women in their 30s, 40s, 50s. I'm not big into fashion, so these didn't grab me much. I liked some of the articles, others didn't appeal.  That's what makes a library perfect though ... checking something out without having to pay (unless you return it late).

Do you subscribe to magazines?
Which ones do you like?

I mentioned in my Monday post, I was going to try a new Zumba class. I had found the class locator there on Zumba.com and found a Monday morning class. Unfortunately, when I went to check it out, no one was there. I sent a few emails, checking on that class and some others that might fit into my routine and NONE of the classes I was interested in were still going. So ... that "class locator" on Zumba.com isn't very effective if it isn't kept up to date. I DID try though ...

Linking up with Workout Wednesday and Fit Foodie Runs.

7 comments:

  1. I did do the Hip Hop Abs and it was good. My workout with my coach is more challenging. I have let my magazine subscriptions subside. I just don't have time to read them. When I try to hubby feels ignored. But I should check out the library to check this stuff out and save some money. Thanks for this post - inspiring me to go to the library. LOL! #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that you stepped out of your comfort zone AND that you did it for free! Thanks for sharing the idea and your thoughts on the DVDs! #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always checking out workout DVDs from the library. The magazines don't interest me too much so I haven't looked at their collection for years. Not sure if you can really check them out or if you can only read them at a branch...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just thinking last night (during zumba) that I need to pull out my step aerobics dvd's...and that brought up memories of other dvd's that I have.......I really do have no excuse!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm huge fan for the magazine Shape and my favorite DVD is Leslie Sasone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just did a workout on found on Prevention Magazine's website. I don't buy mags anymore but my twin does and is always showing me a new workout or recipe. I usually don't do DVD workouts. Visiting from the #wowlinkup.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...