Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Stacked Stats (Fitbit Comparisons)

  
I was pretty motivated on Monday. I got in several sessions on the elliptical, an hour of Zumba, jogged a mile on the treadmill, did my weight workout, and finished the day with 30minutes on the stationary bike (trying to stay awake until 10:00, the curfew for Mr. Social, my #2 son). I was pretty happy with my numbers ...

But speaking of #2 ... he totally beat me!
Here are his Fitbit stats ... he started the day doing a little jogging with the cross-country team at the high school. He then hung out with his buddies playing a little basketball before the actual basketball clinic started (at 10:00). That ran until 1:00, when I picked him up (and friends) and took them over to the rec center, where they played some more basketball ... he did slow down in the evening.

Just a little over a week ago, I posted A Fitbit Farewell, as #2 had lost his Fitbit. At one point, he looked down and still had the little silicone case attached to his shorts, but no little Fitbit One in it. I figured it wouldn't hurt to contact Fitbit Customer Service and ask if they would do anything ... I'd heard stories of them replacing lost, or even washed Fitbits. Happily, they did! And see ... I'm so happy we have it back, or I couldn't have made this comparison between our Monday.

We actually do have a Fitbit Flex just laying around. It was purchased for #1, who after wearing it for a few months decided he didn't like wearing anything on his wrist. You might ask why I didn't just give the old Flex to #2 when he lost his ... but basketball players aren't allowed to wear anything on their wrist. But it did get me thinking about the Flex.  I charged it up and strapped it on myself! Of course not replacing my One ... just in addition. I thought it might be an interesting comparison to see how similar the stats would be (it was still linked to my son's account, so it was based on the assumption that I was an 18-year old male who happily does weigh a bit more than I do). 

Fitbit One

Fitbit Flex

The calorie estimate does rely on your personal information quite a bit (sex, age, height, weight) so I wasn't surprised to see a pretty big difference there. So unfair ... these teenage boys are probably benefiting from a more active metabolism and a little extra height/weight. The distance too, that is based on stride length (although I don't know that either my son or I had ever taken the time to actually measure and input our individual stats). 

I was a little surprised at how large the step difference was (almost 3000 steps). My Omron pedometer had read 24700 for the day and 131 aerobic minutes (just thought I'd throw in a third step estimate for you!). Some of that could be attributed to my elliptical sessions ... there are times during my workouts where instead of gripping the moving arms, I grab the middle (stationary) arms. I'm betting the Flex didn't register those steps as well (or at all). 

 Fitbit One

Fitbit Flex

... and I did it a second day too *Ü* and again, almost a 3000 step difference (2838 if you wanted to know but didn't want to do the math). My Omron said 28200 ...  again, I did do an hour of elliptical both days, at times NOT moving my arms.  So less steps/active minutes and distance ... but higher calories (the 18-year old boy account). It is interesting to see the almost identical spikes in the activity graph, but still seeing slight differences.

One thing that was interesting, was my 30-minute bike ride in the evening (the yellow spike).  I take off my Fitbit One and slip it in my sock, as otherwise it just doesn't register much. I went ahead and did that with the Flex  ... and my Omron. As usual, my original reading on the One had an elevated calorie count. I'm not sure why it wants to give me 300+ calories for only 2100 "steps" registered during the ride, but it does. I always go in and enter it manually, only crediting myself with 100-200 calories, changing it from a big green spike to a smaller yellow one. The Flex however, did come in at a 175 calorie estimate, so I didn't adjust it. Although neither device is MEANT to be worn on the sock/shoe, apparently they calculate calories a little differently (the step count was very similar). 

In addition to comparing the actual stats ... I was able to experience the Flex and compare comfort and convenience to the One. I still very much prefer the One. I don't particularly like anything on my wrist. I really missed being able to see the actual numbers without logging onto the computer, and I do like my sleep and stair stats. That being said ...

Um ... THAT did NOT happen!

My "floors" readings have been really wonky of late! I know that changes in the barometric pressure can affect the stair count, but I had several days in a row with hugely elevated readings. 175 was the best one though!

I've gotten to where I'm not putting much stock in the stair count, even this past Mondays (the first image, 39 stairs for the day) is a little high. 20 or so floors? That's probably my norm, as I'm up and down to the basement in our home each day. 

I did bid (and buy) a Fitbit Zip on Ebay ($28) ... I'm going to try it with #1 ONE more time! I'm wondering if Hubs might be willing to try it again too. I don't think either of them will give me a run for my money like #2, but it is just fun to see and compare the numbers.

Linking up with Workout Wednesday and the HumpDay Blog Hop.

8 comments:

  1. I'm so tempted to get a Fitbit! I've heard nothing but great things about them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously I am a fan :) ... but seriously, I'm addicted to my Fitbit Feedback. A brand new One or Flex is a bit of an investment, but I saw lot of decent prices on Ebay as I was picking one up for my son (it just came in the mail today, I'll set it up and give it to him and HOPE he doesn't lose this one! He just gets the cheaper Zip this time!)

      Delete
  2. Great comparison of the different devices! I have a Flex but it stopped holding charge. This inspired me to submit a support case to Fitbit so we'll see what happens. Thanks for sharing! #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely contact them, it never hurts to see. I really didn't think they would offer to replace my sons, especially once I realized we were past a year (I did still have the receipt) but they did! My mom's was being wonky and they replaced hers too. If you think about it, come back and let me know (or post about it on your blog :)

      Delete
  3. Very interesting on the comparison, odd that the results would be so different for the same activity.
    I love the Fitbit One, and although I am sure it's not completely accurate, it is close I have counted out 100 steps and then checked to see if it recorded them correct and if I am walking at a normal pace it is pretty spot on. When I run there is a slight difference if I compare the distance to the garmin, but it's not off by more than a 10th of a mile so it's still pretty close.
    That is awesome they replaced this for you, very very cool of the company!
    Also, I don't pay too much attention to my stairs either, if I walk up hill a mile out of my neighborhood, it registers some of those steps as stairs. In fact a 3 mile walk actually adds 25 flights of stairs if I take the hilly route, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. My middle son has a FitBit now and just loves it. I had never really looked at them. I loved reading your blog post and seeing how they work. I don't know if I can spend the money on one soon, but maybe a future purchase. I can see how it would motivate you to increase your activity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaahh the beauty of youth. But you are getting it in and that is what counts! My husband ditched his fitbit. #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete
  6. I told my husband to put his Fitbit on his cycling pants the next time he biked. It only registered 10,000 steps when we knew it was much more. He did at 30 mile bike ride that day. Visiting from the #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...