Thursday, September 4, 2014

Busy Day!

I had a  nice productive day yesterday! Ok ... so I never got around to doing my Workout Wednesday blog post, but I sure did get in the steps!  Just over 38,000! If I hadn't hit 40K once, and already earned that Fitbit badge, I would have pushed to hit it today. I still had plenty of energy at the end of the day. I didn't even feel like I had worked out all day, I just kept busy!

I'm liking the new school schedule. It's shifted just a bit from last year. I leave with the bigger boys about 15 minutes earlier than that year, and leave with the little boys 15 minutes later. To get in a full 20min session on the elliptical before the first carpool, I need to get up a bit earlier than last year. Up at 6:00, hit the elliptical by 6:20, make sure the boys are up as I finish up, make lunches and we're off. Then I have an hour before the elementary carpool. Enough time for breakfast, lunch prep and usually another 20min session on the elliptical if the boys don't need me. 

After the kids are at school, I go to Zumba. I had been hitting one class twice (Mon&Wed), but with the schedule shifts, I think I'll go back to MZL on Wednesday. It's close, and starts a little earlier, so I'm done and ready to get onto other things. It's fun seeing the variety of instructors, styles and steps attending five different Zumba classes during the week.

I'm such a homebody, if I get back home, I usually stay home. So if I have errands, I try to hit them on the way home from Zumba, while I'm already out. Shopping isn't "exercise" but it is walking around. I hit Sears (spending some Fitstudio points) and then did some grocery shopping. Putting the groceries away does involve quite a bit of walking and lifting, and often includes several sets of stairs.

I used to get 100 minutes of elliptical most days ... five 20 minute sessions. I'm afraid after years of doing the same thing, I don't get as big a burn as my machine (or Fitbit) says. Lately I've been limiting my elliptical to an hour, and then trying to add some variety (treadmill, bike). Yesterday I did my final 20minutes elliptical and got in some treadmill time.

I've felt a little guilty spending so much "me" time ... sometimes the house isn't as clean as it could be, or I don't get a nice dinner on the table (but all the different schedules make that really hard too). Today I put on some music while I cleaned up the kitchen, vacuumed, did the dishes, folded laundry, even cleaned a couple toilets. After afternoon pickups, I mowed the lawn. I love the smell of fresh cut grass. Sports practices were starting soon, so I made an early dinner for the kids (chicken and rice), and stuck in a lasagna for the hubs (who wouldn't be home until later).

Time for practice! I dropped #2 off at the high school for basketball practice. Back home to grab #5 for soccer practice at 6:30. #4 came along, as he wanted to play on the school playground and "get some steps in" (his words!) He ended up playing basketball on one of the far courts, so I walked back and forth between my two boys. trying to keep an eye on both of them. All three of us got in quite a few steps during that hour.  Dropped the munchkins home. Normally 7:30-8:00 is badminton time with #4 ... unless it's a cloudy day, that's the only time the sun won't shine into our eyes. Unfortunately today I needed to take #3 to his basketball practice (8:00-10:00). I told #4 to recruit Daddy into badminton duty tonight (which he did *Ü*) and it was off to practice and a small parent meeting. At least I was picking up #2 at the same time/location. 

I had plenty of steps for the day, but if I laid on the bed to read ... I would fall asleep before the 10:00 pickup (which IS past my bedtime). So a little after 9:00 at night, I went down to my gym and hit the stationary bike, getting my reading and riding in.  40 minutes. 10 miles.

I remember the night I did hit 40K. I'd had a big day then too. I'd come home from a basketball game, one with a track above, so I'd jogged while my son played. It was about 9:00 at night and I was so tired, but I was at around 38000 steps and wanted to earn that 40K Fitbit badge. I went down and hit the elliptical, stopping the moment the numbers turned.  Today ... I actually didn't feel tired at all! I didn't even feel like I'd spent the day "exercising" ... I was just active all day. It was nice to get stuff done and feel productive. Well ... other than getting a blog post done. That didn't happen.

As far as eating ... I kept calories in check too! Big win. *Ü*

I must say, I'm loving being back on a schedule. Being a SAHM with kids in school, I am completely spoiled and I know it. I have a few hours of "me" time everyday ... and I love that. I feel like I have the exercise down (although I know I need to shake it up more too), but I would like to do better at keeping the house clean and getting dinners done more regularly. 

Which comes first for you ... workouts or housework?

Linking up with Workout Wednesday (which actually had a theme of "What's In Your Gym Bag" which I didn't follow today, but I have posted about that previously here). Linking up with Fitness Blondie and Running With Spoons as well.


7 comments:

  1. Wow, i can't believe you hit 38,000 steps!! That's super active! If my flex shows 20,000 in day I'm well chuffed and feel sooo tired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I added my hour of Zumba Mon-Fri mornings (6000-7000 steps) I usually hit my goal of 22,000. I find myself more tired on days I don't get my workouts in :)

      Delete
  2. so nearly 3 hours of exercise every/most days? That sounds exhausting. But if it works for you... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two hours most Mon-Fri, and a little extra if I get around to it. As I don't work, I consider exercise my part time job. I actually have trouble sitting for a lengthy period of time, I NEED to get up and move. 10 minutes here, 20minutes there ... I hardly call it exercise anymore, it's just being active :)

      Delete
  3. Wow that's a lot of steps! Nice! #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oy I have to get the housework done or I will just irritate myself because it isn't done. SERIOUSLY. It's bad. 38K steps? WOW!!! And yes, you have to change things up because the body gets used to the same routine and will adapt and burn less calories over time because it has figured out how to conserve. #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a SAHM but I do have a chunk of time I could get things done but I'm busy marketing my blog LOL. I guess we have to put ourselves on a schedule and stick with it. #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...