Monday, September 29, 2014

Rainy Days and Mondays

Rainy days and Mondays always get me down ... are you familiar with that song by The Carpenters? Now personally, I LOVE Mondays. I'm always ready to get back to the routine, back to better eating and exercise after the weekend. But my #4 son, he really struggles. He is a homebody (like his mommy) and after a couple days in the comfort of home, it's really hard for him to go back to school. Once we get past Monday, he's usually ok again ... until next Monday.

In addition to his generalized anxiety, he has a weather phobia. We're not sure where it came from, but we've been struggling with it for a few years now. Wind, rain, thunder and lightening ... he has a hard time handling it. This past weekend was a challenge!

He'd been invited to a birthday party on Saturday ... storms were forecast. He really wanted to go, but I wasn't sure if he'd be able to overcome his anxieties to do so. The party got changed to Friday evening, which I originally thought was a good thing (weather wise) but Friday night turned out to be crazy with rain, thunder and lightening. 

The hubs and I were actually going out to a movie. I didn't want to discuss the possible incoming storm with #4 (as the anticipatory anxiety is often even worse than the actual event, he hadn't checked the weather report to notice the possibility) but I did bring it up with his brothers, who I was leaving in charge. I told them not to force him to go if he was anxious, but try to encourage him. I told them to be prepared to go get him if it got bad (the party was just a couple of houses away) and refreshed where what to do (he has a couple "safe spots" in the house, rooms away from windows, with tv/video game distractions). My older boys rolled their eyes ... but I like to cover things just in case.

As we exited the movie ... what a storm! I was anxious to get home and check on #4. He had gone to the party. He had needed to come home from the party. The storm passed pretty quick, and he actually went back to the party (thank heavens for accommodating hosts aware of his issues!) That night, the storm returned with a fury! For over an hour around 4:00 in the morning it was constant flashes and thunder that rocked the house. #4 managed to sleep through it amazingly enough!

Saturday was rainy too ... #5's soccer game was cancelled (although there were still some teams playing on the soggy fields). More rain Sunday ... no thunder and lightening until the evening. Poor #4 had to retreat to his bedroom because there are just too many windows out in the family room and kitchen. 

He was actually ok this morning. Last week was a miserable Monday morning, and there were no weather worries that day. He doesn't check the forecast as much as he used to, so I don't know if he is aware that thunderstorms are forecast for later in the day. Fingers crossed they don't hit while he's at school.

The cooler, rainy weather did impact me over the weekend. In addition to feeling anxiety over my son's anxiety, it just made me want to jump back in bed and snuggle under the covers.  There was a neighborhood 5k race Saturday morning, but I just couldn't pull myself out of bed. I did take a nap Saturday afternoon ... unheard of for me! It was a soup and warm breadsticks kind of day. We even pulled out the hot chocolate maker! Sometimes the cooler weather can motivate me to move ... just to warm up. But not this weekend! Linking up with MIMM.

Very happy to have a Monday Morning where #4 didn't have a melt down. It's hard not to let those emotions affect me. It can be hard to get into my Zumba class when I'm feeling emotionally off. Sometimes Zumba is enough to snap me out of it too, though. I still go!

...and it's time for me to head out! Zumba, here I come!

Link up with the Motivational Monday team.




2 comments:

  1. sounds like he might have to move to southern California for college/adult life. ;)

    Sorry he goes through all that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've actually been loving all of the rain we have been getting, this is so not Utah. I don't ever remember a time in my life we have had so much rain in such a short amount of time. That thunder storm over the weekend was awesome though, I just had to get up to watch the lightening.
    We did get a beautiful morning though, perfect running weather I thought:) Love seeing everyone's grass and tree's so green:)
    Hope the storms stay away until your little one is back home so he doesn't have to deal with any anxiety issues while at school today!
    Hope you enjoyed your Zumba clas!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...