Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Polar Problems, Weigh-inWednesday and a 35K Day

I'm a little tired today. I had a 35k day yesterday ... and that included a 40 min weight session that barely registered any actual steps. I started the day early, as #2 had to get to school early. I got the other kids off, then hit Zumba. Tuesdays, Zumba starts at 8:45, and it's right in my neighborhood. So I'm home by 10:00, often with 10K already. Then I hit the elliptical a few times, mowed the front lawn, did weights. After collecting kids after school, there was a 6:00 basketball game. No sitting for me ... I walk around a bit during the game while I catch video highlights. Then I still went to an evening Zumba class ... not because I felt like I needed any more activity, but because I just enjoy it!  I actually got some housework and laundry done during the day, as well as a couple blog posts up (alas, this isn't my only blog). 

I must admit ... I'm feeling it a bit today. Whether it was all the activity, or simply the weight workout (and DOMS), there is some stiffness and soreness in the body. Not that it stopped me from hitting my Zumba class this morning (and some elliptical and bike, gotta get it in as there are TWO basketball games to video this evening). 

As I headed out the door to Zumba, I happened to look down and realize, I didn't have the watch part of my PolarFT4 on. Duh! I did that last week. A heart rate monitor generally has three pieces ... the watch, the strap, and the transmitter, which attaches to the strap, which you wrap around your chest. You need all three parts for a HRM to work.

Not that my HRM has been working lately! I've been having POLAR PROBLEMS! The issue above is user-error, but the other stuff ... Polar, I'm not particularly pleased! My HRM seems to work almost flawlessly for about six months, but then, even with washing the strap, replacing the batteries, even using an electrode gel, I'm getting skewed readings. A big fact ZERO. Then suddenly a heart rate of 200, when I know I'm nowhere near there.

I mean, at this point, I do have my ChargeHR. 
I bought it because of the problems I was having with the Polar ... but even with it, I'd still use the Polar, because I wanted to see how close the readings were. They have been pretty close. Ironically, after buying the ChargeHR the Polar started working better than it had been in a bit. I wondered if somehow the Polar KNEW it was going to be replaced and was making a last ditch effort to show it's worth! ;)  Because electronics are alive ... (sometimes it seems that way though, doesn't it?)

I do like that the Polar display is ON during a workout. To see my heart rate on the ChargeHR, I have to press a couple of buttons. That isn't that easy as I'm bouncing around in Zumba class. My HRM readings aren't only something I'm interested in after, seeing how I did ... it's motivating to see the stats during class, so see that I'm getting it up there, or not, and knowing I need to push it some more.

But the issues mentioned above aren't the only Polar problems I had. It supposedly has a "comfort strap" ... and a little portion that flips to cover the connection to protect your skin. Still, I would have discomfort with the strap, and downright pain at one point. I finally checked it out a little closer, and it had actually broken the skin. Ouch!

I was able to cover up this traumatic injury with a band-aid, and also switch the strap so the connection was on the other side (of course then this just started happening over there).  Fitness struggles are SO hard, aren't they?

One other "problem" ... which is a good problem, and also a fixable problem (I just have to look at the instructions and see how to change some things) is that in some of my recent Zumba exercise, my "in zone" numbers have been low. It's because my heart rate has actually been TOO high. Now users can adjust this range to their own specifications, so I just need to figure out how to do that. Rather than a specific "in zone" reading, with a high limit, I'd rather move the upper end, so I can get a better accounting of all my minutes above a certain range, no upper limit (as I really don't ever have to worry that I'm dangerously high, I just don't do that! I struggle enough getting my heart rate up!)

I've had a couple wardrobe malfunctions as well, when the strap would suddenly come undone while dancing ... a couple times while I was up front leading of course too! But even with all these issues, I continue to plug along with my Polar.

Have you had any Polar Problems? 
Linking up with Workout Wednesday

I also thought I'd do a quick Weigh-In Wednesday mention. I usually don't actually do it on Wednesday, as Friday is my official weigh in. But as I mentioned in my Monday post, I was up FOUR pounds over the weekend. 155.6 to 159.6. Well, after being good on Monday, and my big day yesterday, I am down to 155.8 anyway. Hopefully I can lose a little big more so I can log a loss for Friday. Check back then!


10 comments:

  1. Heck YES for 35,000 steps! I need a good solid day like that most days I'm over 10K but I live for the crazy 30K plus days! Awesome job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weekends are notorious for weight gain. It's mostly water weight for me. You're doing awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My weekends are AWFUL! I just can't keep up the motivation! At least with my daily weigh-ins, I'm very familiar with how quick things can go up and down so I don't get too discouraged until I see a definite pattern over time. Always plugging away!

      Delete
  3. Excellent job, Jen! It's not easy to increase your number of steps if you're not used to it or not following your diet. I personally found a bunch of helpful advices in this free fast diet guide, so I hope I'll catch up with you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I'm SO picky with my eating, I've never seen any diet guide that is even possible for me :( I know even with my limitations, I COULD eat a lot better with simple logic, I am just missing the willpower.

      Delete
  4. I have the SAME problem with my FT4. I sent it back to them (paying $6.99 to ship it UPS) and they claim nothing was wrong with it! I haven't even bothered putting it on after receiving it back since I was so frustrated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't - I figured if I tried to send it in for warranty it would work for them! I'm glad I invested in the ChargeHR, even though I still do use my Polar. I used to get SO distracted and unmotivated during a workout when the Polar was being naughty, now ... I just take what I can get, sometimes keeping the data, sometimes throwing it out, still using it and just hoping for the best! :) Hopefully the ChargeHR keeps going strong so I don't have to try out a third model!

      Delete
  5. I have the FT4 too and get annoyed with it also. It will record the first 15-20 minutes of my workout and then lose the signal and refuse to get it again. Washing more diligently helped for a bit but it still will sometimes randomly poop out on me. My heart rate is generally too high so I bought it to keep an eye on it and hopefully get in shape enough that it starts coming down. Good to know that the Charge HR is pretty accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl let me find out Polar is beating you up. I have never had any of the issues you reported so not sure what is going on here and I wash my strap and all that regularly. I am so sorry to see you are having these problems. #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have any gadgets but I'm not surprised by your problems with your Polar device. They do make great heart rate monitors but the other stuff, I don't know. #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...