I had plans ... New Years resolutions and all that. I was going to get back on the weight-loss wagon. Back to IMF and counting calories. Upping the exercise, setting a 10k a day goal. Things don't always go according to plan.
January started off okay. It was really hard to get back into the fasting. Back in Fall2020, it just clicked, and it was easy. Stuck with it with success for about six months. I think I just got too flexible with the fasting, taking weekends off, then an evening here and there. I also NEED to keep up with the calorie counting, as even with limited hours, they add up.
Then there was the accident.
It was Sunday, January 23 in the evening. Normal day. I'd done my exercise, hadn't really fasted, eating late (around 7:00). I hadn't logged my calories for the day, but I'd eaten plenty. We don't know exactly what happened ... I was feeling a bit off while I was doing some kitchen cleanup. My son heard a thud and when he came to investigate, I was on the ground, unconscious and bleeding. I guess I passed out, so fast that I didn't have time to control the fall at all (no ladylike faint for me!) and hit my head. He said I was shaking, like a seizure. I bit my tongue, blood there too. The rest of the family was home as he called for help, and I woke up in an ambulance on the way to the hospital (but not before throwing up on the entryway rug). In the ER, the nausea was unrelenting, the world kept spinning. A CT scan and EKG didn't show anything alarming, no brain bleed, so that was good (my MIL had a fall a few years ago that did result in TBI). I got a few staples in my head. It took a few nausea medications, and a few hours, before I felt like I could move, but I did just want to be home in my bed.
There went my 10k a day step goal. And everything else ...
I was down and out for several days, just managing to get in a shower, eat a little. Lots of sleeping. I gradually started trying a few more things. Back to baking my sourdough, doing a few things around the house. After a couple weeks, I attempted my first walk on the treadmill. My first day back to Zumba was February 14 ♥ then I added in some elliptical, and even a weight workout. Still had some spinny moments here and there, going from a vertical to a horizontal position would (still) bring on one slow spin (so NO crunches for me). Mostly back to normal for March (an off day there on the 6th, missed my 10k, felt sick, had to lay down much of the day) and even added in pickleball as another activity.
Active minutes generally mirror steps ...
... as for food and fasting ...
Even before the accident, I wasn't doing great. Having a hard time controlling my calories, not able to keep up a full fast. After the accident, I didn't dare fast, watching for any/all signs of dizziness, and not wanting low blood sugar to possibly add to that. Some emotional eating during this time too. I was pretty much eating whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted... and the scale reflected that. Back to fasting and calorie counting in March. Now controlling calories ... that's another story.
... and sleep
... interesting to see my sleep right after the accident. Mucho sleep. Had a few days shortly afterward where I couldn't sleep, then things normalized. The accident timed pretty much perfectly with my youngest son getting his driver's license. Monday, January 24 was the first day he was going to drive himself to school, saving me the 5:30 wake-up call. None of the family did school/work that Monday (we'd just arrived home from the hospital around 6:00 am), but my mornings would have adjusted anyway, accident or no, which not only affects my sleep, but also exercise (as I now rarely get in early exercise like I did with a 5:30 rising time).
I stuck it on its own blog post.
My ears did give me some issues after the accident, but I still got plenty of audiobooks in!
All are rated and reviews on my GoodReads (shEreader)
... and finally, the family.
My monthly collages, with recaps of everything on the Family Blog.








No comments:
Post a Comment