Monday, April 1, 2024

What I Was Watching ~ Q1 2024

 

Five series/seasons watched downstairs while walking, seven series upstairs with Hubs ... our "together time" wind down watch in the evenings. We'd been waiting for the third season of The Morning Show to drop in its entirety, and I was looking forward to Lessons in Chemistry. I was able to snag a "Three Months AppleTV+ free" with a recent Best Buy purchase. Definitely binged on the Apple offerings. 
  • The Morning Show S3 ... we'd actually started this last quarter, finished it up here.
  • Severance S1 ... I'd watched this on my own (downstairs) a while back but thought Hubs should get in on it. I didn't mind watching it again.
  • Slow Horses S1 ... liked this fine. Our Apple subscription was up and I didn't like it enough to continue paying just to watch more.
  • Billions S1 ... on Amazon, very dark! Maybe we'll watch more seasons? 
  • True Detective/Night Country ... I actually wish they didn't say this "True Detective" was a series, when they really aren't related at all. This reminded me of Fortitude (another mystery in the arctic). While it hooked me at the start, it went off the rails, I didn't like it in the end.
  • Reacher S1 ... boy he's big! Reminded me a bit of Banshee. Just okay for me. Not sure if we'll continue on with further seasons. 
  • Jury Duty ... this was my suggestion. I'd been interested in it a while back when it was on "freevee" but that had commercials. I can't do commercial breaks. Then it was adopted into Amazon Prime (ironically then Prime added commercials, but you can pay an additional $3 a month for ad-free).  Hubs laughed SO hard at times during this one!
  • Lessons in Chemistry ... I'd read the book long enough ago that I didn't remember too many details (and therefore wasn't thinking "wait that was different than the book!") ... really liked it!
  • HiJack ... this started strong ... and then just became more and more unbelievable, until I had to push to finish and was left not liking it at all. 
  • Five Days at Memorial ... I thought this was excellent. I know it's based on a book, and now I'm debating reading it. This presented all sides well in my opinion, made you feel for everyone involved. Tough decisions, horrible situation. This will definitely stick in my memory.
  • Monarch ... I'd watched most of the "monster" movies, although I don't remember them much. I didn't end up caring for this much, had to push to finish. 
  • Silo ... I'd read the book ages ago and really liked it. I'm not sure why this adaptation didn't grab me, but it didn't. Had to push to finish. 

I alternate between movies and shorter shows downstairs, and we do that upstairs too ... 
I got in 12 movies while walking, and three movies upstairs with Hubs. 

  • Reacher: As Hubs and I had watched the Amazon series version (which I know people like the casting better, as he is big as described in the books) ... I figured I'd give the movies a try. I haven't read the books, so didn't have preconcieved notions of what Reacher "should" be like. I liked the movie. Enough to watch the second ...
  • Reacher/Never Go Back: I liked this one too.
  • Mission Impossible/Dead Reckoning: I actually spaced this one out with a few different movies in between, as Reacher and Hunt are similar (lots of action and such) beyond both being played by Cruise. I liked this. 
  • Lone Survivor: Well the title is a bit of a spoiler, isn't it!? That, and we get a peek at the "end" right at the start, so not only do we know only one survives, but we know who it is. Still, pretty good. Sad.
  • FinestKind: Gritty and dark, decent. 
  • Safe House: Basic action flick, I liked it.
  • Joy Ride: Super crude, kind of funny. 
  • The Family Plan: Super silly, over the top, but enjoyable enough. 
  • Captain Phillips: This kept my attention more than I would have thought. Liked it a lot.
  • The Whale: Super sad ... impactful.
  • Speak: I was re-reading the book for book club. I thought they did a good job with the movie.
  • Past Lives: Just okay.
  • No Hard Feelings: Hubs had watched this and liked it, so I gave it a go. Crude and crazy, I don't think I liked it as much as he did ;) 
  • The Equalizer 3: I liked the first, I think the second ... third one struck out for me though.
  • Killers of the Flower Moon: I'd read the book, it was interesting enough. The movie dragged for me.
  • Barbie: Finally got around to watching this. Cute enough. 
That's what I was watching...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...