Monday, July 1, 2024

What I Was Watching ~ Q2 2024


Got in quite a few movies during the second quarter of 2024 ...  Half with Hubs upstairs (left side, checked out some Oscar nominees), and the rest (right side) in the gym while walking. We also saw Come From Away as a live play production (then I watched the filmed Broadway version myself) ...

  • LongShot: This was cute, had been recommended by son #3.
  • Unfrosted: We were Seinfeld fans, and this was all about the 80s ... we grew up in those years. Silly, but fun and nostalgic. 
  • Air: We liked this a lot. I remember we started it on a Monday night and I thought for sure we'd be breaking it into to showings (because ... sleep) but ended up watching it all in one night. 
  • Oppenheimer: Interesting.
  • Poor Things: Um ... that was so weird.
  • The Holdovers: Just okay
  • American Fiction: Just okay.
  • The Beekeeper: Bad ... so bad. I was honestly trying to keep from laughing out loud at how ridiculous is was and kept waiting for Hubs to shake his head and turn it off. Unfortunately he didn't ... we finished it. Oye.
  • Encanto: I'd seen this myself, we watched it together. I think I liked it more than Hubs.
  • The Banker: Interesting, based on a true story.
  • Chowchilla: A documentary-ish production, with interviews (the kids now grown), actual pictures and footage, and recreations. I hadn't heard of this happening. I would have just been six at the time.
  • Zodiac: Another "based on a true story" Hollywood-ized.
  • Free State of Jones: Whatever service I was watching this on pulled it early. I went to finish up the final 20min or so at 10:00 at night, and it was gone. I actually didn't care much. But then it popped up on another platform, so I was able to finish (not that night, but a few days later). 
  • The Departed: Several Matt Dameon movies this month! Another one #3 had watched.
  • A Simple Favor: Um, dumb ...
  • Mr & Mrs Smith: I have to admit how things have gone between the real life actors affects my enjoyment of the film somewhat. 
  • The Storied Life of AJ Fikry: I'd read the book. It had been long enough that I didn't really remember it to make comparisons. Just not sure how much story there is here ...
  • Leave The World Behind: I haven't read the book ... and don't think I will. Just blah. I liked "Done Look Up" but this, just blah. 
  • Come From Away: I'd really enjoyed the play, and was pleased to find a filmed version on Apple TV. It was pretty much identical to the production we'd seen, several of the same actors in fact. I loved having subtitles and closeups and angles not seen when in the audience. Upped my appreciation a lot!
... onto some series. Nine shows. Ten seasons.

(bottom row was watched with Hubs)

  • Daisy Jones and the Six: I'd read the book, liked it. The series dragged for me though. Had a "How I Met Your Mother" feel that honestly I hadn't really remembered from the book ... more memorable in the mini-series (at least for me). Interesting how they'd have to come up with actual songs for the show (not the book). 
  • Masters of the Air: I'd started watching this, then given up on it ... then came back and pushed to finish just to have closure. Didn't like the leads for some reason. Sorry ...
  • Calls: Very different production. Some big names/voices, but no faces. Just talking, and some simply imagery. Short "episodes" felt very "Twilight Zone" and yet then they were all tied together.
  • All The Light We Cannot See: Read the book for June bookclub. Liked the tv adaptation fine (they switched up the ending some). I have to say that Mark Ruffalo in Poor Things ruined Mark Ruffalo in this one (both with a French accent). 
  • Bridgerton S3: Back to Bridgerton. Quite a bit of buzz this season over a "larger" actress/character getting the guy and having sexy screen time.
  • Queen Charlotte: As I enjoyed Bridgerton more than I thought, I added this one. Liked it.
  • The Gentlemen: The original movie had just been okay for me (actually had to try it twice before finishing). Hubs and #3 really like it. The series was more a prequel. Some super strange. Very dark. 
  • Resident Alien S1 & S2: Very quirky, but a nice shift from some of the darker shows.
  • 3 Body Problem: I like Sci-Fi ... this was quite complex and Hubs lost interest. I finished up watching down in the gym. 
It's just interesting to have a recap and record.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...