Thursday, June 29, 2023

What I Was Watching ~ Q2 2023

The top/left six shows/series were watching while working out. Ally and Boston Legal were a night-time watch if I couldn't sleep, and the bottom row (+ Ted Lasso and a rewatch of Shrinking) were watched with Hubs. We got into a routine of an episode before bed. I really enjoy that little connection. You can see that we got a subscription to AppleTV (had to for Ted Lasso) then made the most of our three month trial with a new Roku. We did cancel at the end of the quarter.

My gym time was down a little this quarter ... I had another incident in April (it's been determined as an unexplained seizure. It landed me in the ER again) and then something (vertigo?) in May that had me down for a solid week.


  • Dear Edward: I'd read the book not long before and had been a bit confused at the preview, as it seemed so different (Connie  Britton's character doesn't even exist in the book, featured foremost in the series). It was really different, but still could almost run parallel. The book revealed so much more about several people on the flight, whereas the series featured those people left-behind by the ones who died. The group therapy and friendships formed there reminded me of another book ... The Measure. I ended up really liking the TV series though. 
  • The Shining Girls: Another book to series adaptation. Again, the main premise was the same, with a LOT changed. Again, I liked the series through. Very confusing (in both book and TV, but there's some "time travel" and that's always a bit mind bending). 
  • The Last Thing He Told Me: Also based on a book, but I haven't read this one ... and don't think I have a desire to after watching the series. It was just ok. I figured things out long before the characters did. 
  • Silo: Based on the book "Wool" which I have read, but it's been many years. I really liked the books, I had a hard time getting into the series. 
  • Schmigadoon: I'd loved the first season. Here, the couple attempts to return, but it's changed to Schmicago, much darker. The female character mentioned that she'd been in the mood for the fun and fluff of Schmigadoon, and I felt the same way. It was still decent, but not the same.
  • Shrinking: I love Harrison Ford, and I majored in Psychology in college ... I loved this series, and was happy when Hubs was willing to give it a go. I was more than happy to rewatch it. 
  • Ted Lasso: I'd watched the first season in the gym a couple years ago, and did a rewatch with Hubs, then moved to season 2. We had to re-subscribe to AppleTV for the third and final season. Loved it. 
  • Schitt's Creek: We'd watched the first couple of seasons last quarter, and went through the final three seasons this quarter. Learned to love this family. Sad to have it end. 
  • Succession: Do NOT love this family ... felt a little obligated to watch the final season. Hubs was so sure that the death was a hoax. A bit glad to have this done and behind us. No likeable characters!
  • 1923: A Yellowstone prequel ... had the same narrator from the 1883 for a bit, but all new characters (decedents) and stories. It was a bit spread out (from Montana to Africa) and I thought it was a single season like 1883. Nope, really nothing at all resolved, everything left up in the air for another season. I wish I'd realized that going into it. 
  • Party Down (S3): We'd watched the first couple seasons last quarter, and then there was this third season done years later. A little funny to see the time shift, but not a favorite. We finished though.
  • Barry (S1, S2): This had good reviews and kept us entertained.
  • Ally (S5): I'm a little surprised I enjoyed this series again so much, 20 years later. I did though, I loved it all.
  • Boston Legal: Just got through a few episodes (1-5) ... I've turned to books more for my night wind down.


Movies


  • Luck: As we had AppleTV, I was watching anything that interested me. This had caught my eye and was cute enough. Some familiar voices ...
  • 80 for Brady: I'd seen the previews for this when it was in theaters and it looked cute. I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. It was pretty predictable and silly.
  • A Man Called Otto: I would have been willing to see this in theaters, but didn't get around to it. I'd read the book and liked it. I thought the movie was a great adaptation.
  • Gold: A random recommendation on a FB group brought this one to my attention. I hadn't heard of it before, even with its big name stars. It was good. 
  • Dungeons and Dragons: This was cuter than I expected - but it had good reviews or I probably wouldn't have given it a go. 
  • Extraction and Extraction 2: I felt a little like I was missing something as the first one started, wondered if I'd started the sequel by mistake. Was there something before. Both of this were action packed and super violent. 

That's movies and TV from the second quarter of the year ...
What are YOU watching?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...