Tuesday, October 28, 2025

Ups and Downs Over the Years



As I reflect on the past 20 years ... there have been a lot of ups and downs. In life and on the scale. During the early married life and five children, I wasn't tracking, but weight went up over the years. Our last child was born in December 2005, and mid-2006 is when my official weight-loss journey started. It's interesting to see the scale shifts laid out across a timeline. 




My high was around 175/180 (other than pregnancy) That's where I was when I started recording my first data points (weight, steps, calorie counting). I lost almost 50 pounds and hit goal weight/135. The next few years had little ups and downs, and honestly, as long as I stayed under 150, I felt pretty good.  During this time I stayed active, mostly elliptical and treadmill (some weights) in our home gym, lots of walks with the littles in the stroller, even some soccer meet-ups. Some climbs, corrections, but by the end of 2012 ... back up.  It's the eating ...




I recommitted in 2013 ... back to tracking calories in MFP.  In 2014, I added Zumba. Starting just once a week at my local church, then adding more classes until I was going Mon-Friday, with some evening/weekend classes too. Still using the treadmill/elliptical/weights in the home gym. Some early success, then up/down/up/down, with the down never really where I wanted (under 150).  I was pretty much at my high/180 (the end of 2019 had been tough, with a death in the family, a car crash, broken bones, depression/anxiety issues) when Covid hit ... and that cancelled my Zumba classes and affected motivation. Up even more ... the dreaded 200.

Snoring was actually the impetus I needed ... I'd been on the receiving end and suffered through a partner's snores at times through the years. Hubs has enough trouble sleeping, so this stressed me out a lot. This round, I added in IMF (Intermittent Fasting) as well as calorie counting and tried to up the activity/exercise. I think IMF helped, just "turning off" for a time, not allowing mindless eating. I was also uber busy with #5's basketball and helping #4 with school.  I'd just turned 50.

I almost got to goal ... and then started putting the weight back on (yes, I got lax in my calorie counting and fasting windows. And I started making sourdough...) About as quickly as it came off, it was back on again. 



As 2022 started up ... New Year and all that, time to recommit. Then I had a seizure. We didn't know what had happened, but I hit my head as I went down. Ambulance/ER and then recovery. I was okay, but my activity never quite got back to where I had been. Still getting in the quantity, but not the quality (walking slowed, less intensity/adjusted moves at Zumba).  Hubs had great success in weight loss during 2022 (and while he's had some small ups and downs, he's stayed very fit and trim).  Pickleball was an added activity ... with the family when weather permitted, and with a ladies group on Thursday mornings. 

I got a bit back into my groove ... for some reason, despite holidays/birthdays, I seem to do better during the colder months: Oct/Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb ... seriously, maybe something to do with Daylight Savings? Then in April of 2023 ... another seizure/ambulance/ER. Both times I cracked my head, requiring stitches/staples. 

At the end of 2024 ... another dip, thanks to a return to MFP and IMF. Sometimes, it just clicks. I could control my appetite. I even did some 24+ hour fasts, which I'd never been successful at before. But like the other "v" cycles ... the down was followed by an up. Starving all the time, couldn't even keep an 18-hour fast, and a 24-hour seemed unimaginable. Constant cravings. Not wanting to track my failures (giving up attempting IMP and MFP). 

And here we are. Again. Labwork from a recent doctor visit showed a high A1C, cholesterol ... not really surprising. It's the eating. If it weren't for my activity level, it would likely be worse. Considering trying the GLP-1 medications out there, it sure seems to be working for so many. I could SO use the help with the eating issues. I had let my thyroid medication lapse, so I'm back on that and as this is my cyclic "good time" we'll see how I do the next few months on my own, then ... we'll see. Reading up and getting acquainted with the options and requirements.  I'd so love to see the 150s or below, and stay there!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...