Monday, August 31, 2020

August 2020

I love my library ... 12 of the books I read were digital checkouts. Some I'd had on hold, others were just available. I pulled one book from my Kindle cloud, and then requested three books from Audiobook Boom. I have to admit, I struggle sometimes with the reviews ... I didn't love two of the books, they were just okay. I feel guilty giving a bad or so/so review when I've been gifted the book. 

I'd really liked "The Girl of Fire and Thorns" trilogy. I read it a while ago, and saw that a 4th book "The Empire of Dreams" had come out. I hadn't really heard anything about it. Looking closer, I saw that it was a continuation, but more of spin-off. It featured Red, from "The Bitter Kingdom" ... and I must admit, I hadn't really remembered her that much. It wasn't essential to remember really, but I loved slipping back into this fantasy world. There were certain scenes that I thought had to be retold from the third book in the trilogy ... so as I finished up, I checked out "The Bitter Kingdom" (book 3) and re-read it. I'd listened to the audiobook the first go-round, and just read the Kindle copy this time. I really adore this series! I did go with audio for "Empire" and while it was a different narrator, that was expected and acceptable, as the POV was different. This narrator was great too, and I did appreciate that she matched the pronunciation of the various unique names.

... I continued on with the next two books in the Ranger's Apprentice series and liked them. I have the next couple books on hold. The Iron Flower was book 2, and I have the 3rd book in series on hold.  The Curious Case of the Werewolf That Wasn't was a prequel "bitty" book to "The Parasol Protectorate" series which I adored. This one ... not so much. It just didn't have the same feel. Born of Fire was the second book in the Elemental Origins series. It was fine, I didn't like it as much as I had the first book. I do plan on continuing on ... I have the 3rd book in my Kindle cloud. I think I got the first three books on some deal.

Savvy and The Adoration of Jenna Fox were re-reads - books I remember really liking. I'd read both of them the first time, and went with audio for this second shot. Well ... Savvy didn't work out. Now, the narrator was really good, she sounded sweet and young and I'm sure I'd like her ... on a different book. I'd read Savvy YEARS ago, and what had stuck in my head was the "voice" of the MC. She's a little 13-year old, not uneducated, but definitely had an "accent" at least in my head. Something Southern-ish. She just has the most unique way of talking, she HAS to have a unique voice. The narrator tried to characterize some of the others, and I didn't love those voices. I just ended up reverting to the kindle copy for my re-read. I haven't read the rest of the series, but it is on my list now. 

I reviewed all the books on GoodReads.

At home with the family ... we had a couple birthdays, several trips to the lake (Pineview x3 and Bear Lake), renovation (painting/carpet) in the basement, then room rearrange (#3 moved downstairs).  Tons of stuff given away (books, sb supplies, clothes, etc), trips to the thrift store and other stuff to family, friends and neighbors. There were PUPPIES! The dog next door had puppies and we have gone over to play quite a bit. Saw my side of the family a few times. Got a date with Hubs, and the whole family to Tepanyaki. #1 got a work truck. Games, and a bowling trip, haircuts at home. As far as Zumba ... my church building said no more gym use (stopping our Tues/Fri class), but the Monday building hasn't had any issue, and even let us add a Wednesday class. So ... still some exercise. I've been pretty regular on the treadmill still (watched season 3 of Dark, started Manifest), but the elliptical hasn't been happening. I did weights once. Haven't been tracking food. I didn't even calculate an average weight for the month ... it hasn't been good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...