Another year in the books ... my highest yet. I don't set a reading goal per se, I just enjoy books. I do TRY to get in a couple non-fiction each month, switch up genres and topics. Popular and obscure. Various lengths. While I am dominantly audio, I get the ebook also for 95% of my listens. I like having the text for reference, and to see if there's anything (author's notes, discussion questions, pictures, setup) that isn't available or or doesn't translate to audio. I do try to read a little (with my eyes) as well.
45 of my books on Goodreads got a 5* rating from me (fewer on Storygraph, as they allow half/quarter stars). The ratio of ratings looks quite similar to last few years. Mostly 3 and 4*, with a few 2* and at least one 1* ... I'm not afraid to DNF (did not finish) either ... so many books, so little time!
The Storygraph stats are slightly different ... showing 300 books (to GoodReads 307). I guess Goodreads went ahead and put the DNF books (unrated in the chart above) in the total, when Storygraph did not. Honestly, I'm not sure which I feel is "correct" or which I prefer. Storygraph actually indicated I had 10 books that I started but didn't finish.
It's interesting to compare the starts from year to year (I just started Storygraph last year/2023) ... the Mood Map is very similar, the pie charts for fiction/non-fiction, page# and format look almost the same. I like to track WHERE I got the books (library, KU, Audible, etc), and then a few other items.
Some additional Storygraph Stats ...
- Average length of books was 326 pages
- 24 5* reads
- May had the highest average rating (3.91)
- December had the lowest average rating (3.17)
- August had the most pages read (10057)
- New authors ... 196
- 86 books part of a series
- 7 books were re-reads
- 10 books were DNF
Other 2024 book memories ...
- Continued on with two local book clubs, only missed one month
- Had Audible, cancelled Audible, joined again when they had a sale, cancelled again, joined again. Have MORE than enough in my library (in addition to using the actual library) but ... deals! Sales! I don't use the PLUS catalog that often, but I like having access ;)
- Grabbed a KU deal (3 months free), then paid for one month(December).
- Did a few "tandem" reads with Hubs
- Book Notes - as I listen to audio, if there is something ... one of the words I track, a thought I want to highlight/remember, etc ... I'll pull up the NOTES app on my phone and jot it down (if I'm able to stop quickly to do it, not always possible, if I have more time/I'm home, I might pull up the Kindle copy and make the note there instead). I try to remember to check my notes when writing up a review (sometimes also adding the notes into the Kindle copy). But I thought I'd transfer my notes here for reference too, a quick reflective look at the year. 2024BookNotes.
- Added a Little Free Library in front of the house. I HAD switched almost entirely to digital (audio and ebook) but now love shopping library and thrift stores for books. Had to buy some more bookshelves for storage, and love frequenting other LFLs. It's affected how I pick what to read next (if I have a physical copy, it gets moved up my TBR, even if I still go with the audio).
- Room re-arrange at home, so we now have a little book nook/library ... book shelves, a comfy chair and lamp.
I continued to create my "cover collage" each month ... I would share those on Facebook and I created a compilation of them for the family blog (JenBsBooks ~ 2024). Here's a look from Storygraph ... it's fun to just look back over the covers, see which ones I really remember.




No comments:
Post a Comment