Time for another TV Tuesday
Back in 2015, I did a TV Tuesday post titled "Series I've Seen But Never Watched" ... and both Psych and House were on that list. Television shows the boys love, that are often playing in the main family area off the kitchen. Shows I can't help but catch portions and parts of, but I've never sat down (or had them on in my gym) to watch them (and now never will, because I've seen too much). Friday Night Lights IS one that I watched while working out.
These three (along with Friends, The Office and HIMYM) are family favorites. I don't really enjoy rewatching shows (especially when there is SO much stuff out there easily available) but my boys do. Over, and over ... and over. But alas, Netflix's programing is always in flux, and all three (along with HIMYM) were dropped. The boys were so sad!
So I started looking at the DVD sets. I picked up Psych first, in the Fall. The complete series. Then I grabbed House (the complete series) as a Christmas gift for the boys. We'd heard a rumor that Friday Night Lights was returning to Netflix, and #2 was anxiously awaiting it. The date came and ... it was the movie, not the series. Big disappointment. Bought the DVD set. The complete series.
While streaming is super convenient, our Comcast service has put monthly limits on our data ... and we've already gone over it twice. DVDs help cut data streaming, and have the added benefit of still working even if the wifi or internet service is out.
But shortly after each DVD purchase ... I noticed the show appear on Amazon Prime Streaming. At first I didn't tell the kids, but they discovered it themselves soon enough. So it's back to streaming, with our DVD library as a backup. At least DVDs of series seasons often aren't that expensive (I think each season, consisting of several disks/episodes averaged about $10).
I remember ages ago, when Netflix dropped (or lost rights to) Nickelodeon ... Bye bye Blue's Clues and Dora. Suite Life of Zach and Cody. My boys had aged out of most things, so it didn't impact as much as many families with young children. Amazon acquired those shows back in the day as well.
We've had Amazon Prime more for the 2-day shipping than anything else, but their video library has continued to grow, and it is something we use quite a bit now. Especially as they are now streaming the boy's favorite shows. If Netflix lost Friends/The Office ... we may not feel as much of a need to keep it around anymore. We actually have both of those series on DVD too (although not the complete Office seasons), so ...

I have prime for the shipping also...but my brother and his family use my account for the streaming....maybe I should check out the videos too!!
ReplyDelete