Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Netflix and Amazon Originals

Time for another TV Tuesday
Seems like streaming service "originals"  ... while not new, are the "big thing" now. They are generally a little (or a LOT) more MA than network television. This past year, Hubs and I watched some together (so these are "not watched while working out" series), one started up, and only I finished it in the gym, and Mrs. Maisel was on my own while in the gym.

  • House of Cards: We'd been intrigued by this series through the years, but this final season was just odd. Neither Hubs nor I cared for it at all.
  • Ozark: We'd watched the first season shortly after it came out and liked it (ended up with a binge watch of several episodes on a Sunday afternoon), and when season two aired, we got through it pretty quickly. 
  • Jack Ryan: John was Jim, now he's Jack. I think I never really realized he was so tall while on "The Office", but I kept noticing it here. This had a lot of action and I liked it a lot, maybe more than Hubs. Would have been a good workout show (lots of adrenaline).  Hubs really did not care for the leading lady.
  • Yellowstone: So this isn't an Amazon original, but we bought it off Amazon (thanks for the $1 credits when choosing super saver shipping, I had some saved up) based on rave reviews and recommendations. Ummmm ... we hated it! It started off okay. I liked the first episode and it seemed like it was off to a good start. But then ... I just hated all the characters. No one was likeable, the bad luck that some of the characters kept having over and over and over and over again was just too much to take. I was fairly miserable watching it, just this look of distaste on my face. We'd take a break, then give it a try again and end up shaking our heads. I like closure, so after Hubs called it quits, I finished it up downstairs. I think I'm less demanding downstairs, as I'm getting in double duty. Working out while watching, I don't feel like a show is a total waste of time the way I would if I was just laying around watching. Still ...not good. Ended abruptly, so I could have quit earlier, there was still no closure, except to say that I watched the whole first season.
  • The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel: This normally wouldn't be my pick for a workout show. A comedy. Very 1950s. Very Jewish. It IS full length (just under an hour) ... and I ended up loving it! Lots of laughter, some serious stuff too. The characters were very endearing. I'll be looking forward to season 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...