I first discovered The Last Ship back in 2016. It had aired a couple years before that, so I got to watch both Season 1 and Season 2 back to back (TV Tuesday - Is It The End Of The World?). I watched it via Hulu and PlayOn. We had cable with Comcast, I and could have followed up with Season 3 as it aired, but, I figured I'd wait until the season was complete. Sometime after season 3 finished up, I watched it.
It has been a while since I'd thought about "The Last Ship" ... Hulu had offered a deal for $.99 a month for a year, which I took advantage of starting December 2018. I really didn't get around to checking out Hulu much though. I always seemed to have plenty to stream (commercial free) from Netflix and Amazon. But then, I remembered this series. I think it was the end of March, or early April. Season four was available in full, and season five was going to be added April 11. So ... it was time. I must admit, I had to go back and watch some of the final episode there in Season 3 to remind myself what the situation and story was, even though that particular storyline had wrapped up, and a new one was starting up.
Season four was not my favorite. The basic premise was fine. The "red rust" ... the same virus that decimated the human population, was now affecting plant life, which would again put those who had survived at risk again. But, it just got a little over the top, or a lot really. With Chandler meeting up with his old crew at a fighting arena, a madman scientist, constant betrayal, savior seeds. One small eye-rolling incident, when one of the women strips off her camo, and happens to be wearing perfectly white, sexy underwear, enough that she can slip into a pool party without drawing any notice, and happen to be able to attract the attention and seduce the main man there (who was their mark). I know, suspension of disbelief ... but definitely not one of the better seasons in the series.
I finished up Season four just in time to start Season 5 as it hit streaming on Hulu. I can NOT stand commercials, so I recorded the episodes with my PlayOn service (this does double my data per episode, which is a bit of an issue, with Comcast's data caps ... we use a lot of data in our family, and we were very close to going over for April!) I really liked season five. It starts three years after we left our characters in Season four. No dearth of drama. Conflict between countries - not quite as far-fetched as the whole "super seeds" premise from last season. A lot of intense action, beloved characters in crisis, and not everyone makes it out alive (it's amazing how so many have miraculously survived up to this point!) Really moving moments there at the end, I'll admit to some tears. This season finale did end up being the series finale too, and it worked to bring it all to a close.
With a 7.5 rating for the series on IMDB, it has mostly positive reviews. I really liked it. The action and drama kept me coming back to the gym, and gave me adrenaline bursts as I worked out while watching. And, eye candy too. McSteamy and several other gorgeous guys easy on the eyes ;)



No comments:
Post a Comment