Tuesday, July 19, 2016

TV Tuesday - Is It The End of the World?

I'm not sure WHY I like post-apocalyptic stuff ... I'm drawn to it in books, movies and television series. Honestly, I don't think I'm much of a fighter and I'd probably go down in the first wave of a disaster. But the action and adventure make for good adrenaline pumping distractions while I work out!

I just finished up seasons 1 and 2 of The Last Ship. This came out a couple years ago, airing on TNT. It looked like something I'd be interested in, but I generally wait until a series has a season or two under it's belt, and I can stream it continuously (no waiting week to week). This never hit Amazon or Netflix, but it was on Hulu. I went ahead and did a trial, and used my PlayOn service to record all the episodes (as it did take me longer than two weeks to watch). 

In this, a virus has spread across the earth wiping out the population. One navy ship had a scientist out in the Arctic looking for a cure, and this series showcases their struggles in the post-apocolyptic world. There was a lot of action and excitement, and it really kept my interest. I generally get in an hour on my elliptical each day, and I was always anxious to hit the gym so I could watch the next episode. 

As I finished season one (10 episodes), I went right on to season two (13 episodes). Season three has some episodes out, but I think I'll wait until the season is complete (I'm currently recording them all from TNT) and then watch them all back to back. I'll miss my "Last Ship" fix now though!


The show I watched right before The Last Ship was Survivors. In this series, a virus has spread across the earth wiping out the population. Hmmmm, sounds familiar (exactly the same as the premise above, but to be fair, this came out years before The Last Ship).  I really should NOT watch such similar series back to back ... although, really this COULD have been happening at the same time/different country. This is a BBC series, set in England, and the majority of survivors here are naturally immune to the virus ( The Last Ship also has "immunes" who are not characters we care about!)  Each "season" was only six episodes long (there were two) ... it really just felt like one "season" as the next episode picked up right where the last had left off. I quite enjoyed this series! It did have enough of a conclusion that I was satisfied (although I don't think when it ended that was meant to be the end, it was cancelled). This was available on Netflix.


Colony was a post-apocalyptic show set in Los Angeles ... airing on USA. I recorded these with PlayOn as they aired (earlier this year) and then watched all the episodes together. Now I do have to wait for season two ... no virus here. It was aliens! It was interesting and exciting. I wonder if it will hit Netflix or Amazon before the second season starts up again? I don't always catch and record new programs as they air, and then you often can't access them (well, you can usually buy them, but I'm cheap).

I've watched a LOT of post-apocalyptic stuff ...
I really liked Jericho! It was interesting, on the DVD, there was an alternate, open ending for if the series had continued (rather than being cancelled after two seasons). Jeremiah was so dark and gritty (a world where all the adults have died leaving only children to fend for themselves) ... while I usually like to watch episodes back to back, get immersed in the "world" a series creates, I actually felt like I needed to take a break from this show, only watching an episode here or there. I'd caught the first season on DVD borrowed from my library, and the second was available on Amazon Prime. I LOVED Flash Forward. Absolutely intrigued by the idea behind it (at one moment, everyone on earth blacks out for a minute, and has a vision of a themselves at a certain point in the future). I've already talked about Revolution here on the blog, and Falling Skies and Wayward Pines ... so many different ways for the world to end, aren't there? And of course ZOMBIES ... ala The Walking Dead!

1 comment:

  1. I might have to check out some of those series...they sound good!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...