Tuesday, September 10, 2019

TV Tuesday - Originals/Exclusives on Amazon, Hulu & Netflix

It seems like when the streaming services first originated, they were just showcasing series and movies that were already out there. Then, they started producing their own. Some of these originals are as good or better than network TV. I'm all for more choices in what to watch while I work out, although just like any series, they can be hit and miss ...

This week I'll be featuring four of the series that entertained me while I exercised in the last little bit.

  • Killing Eve: This is a BBC production, being shown in the US on Hulu. I'm still on my 1-year $1 a month production. I don't know that I'll continue when it's up, but thought I'd watch some Hulu stuff while I have it (Handmaid's Tale S3 is next on the list too).  I'd heard a lot about Killing Eve, and liked Sandra Oh in Grey's Anatomy. Here ... it was a little (or a lot) over the top. A bit silly even.
  • Hanna: An Amazon original, I was intrigued with the two leads from "The Killing" back together again. This didn't grab me though. I had to take a break and come back to it, and push to finish. I had watched the movie (same premise) a while back. 
  • What If: This had a similar feel to "Damages" from years past, with the older woman "helping" a younger woman in her rise to power, with nefarious reasons behind her assistance. The main guy looked familiar to me ... I had to IMDB it, he was from Glee (no singing here, and he seemed much taller!) I thought it started off strong enough, but turned rather ridiculous. I finished it, but ... it was a push. It was just odd, to have these three barely related storylines (the main couple, the gal's brother and his lover, the friend and her husband). Three relatively normal couples, and they all had such crazy things happen to them (unrelated to each other). What are the odds? I was also a bit irritated when they did a paternity test on a baby in the womb with just the blood from the mother and hair from one of the possible fathers. Ummm ... didn't need the baby's blood? This was a Netflix original, as was ...
  • Dead to Me: After three so-so shows, I came into this one with some trepidation and was pleasantly surprised. A mix of mystery and humor. I loved the mom's nickname for one of the sons "Boop" ... quite the cliffhanger of an ending. Second season?? I'd watch it ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...