I've
read so many stories set in a far-off future. Many are
post-apocalyptic. Others are set in space. This was neither. Just futuristic fun. It's New York, 2118. The book focuses on a group of teens (most living an extravagant day to day life) their relationships, and the
mystery/tragedy set up at the very start in the prologue. "The higher you are, the further you fall" ...
I
think the author did an amazing job of building this world ... in the future, I guess
there was no place to go but UP. So interesting to see the social
structure actually defined as physical levels. The lower stories being
literally looked down upon. I loved all the imaginative tech that is
just there as part of these kid's every day lives. The contacts in their
eyes that can instantly connect them to data, the ear-tennas, the wrist
modules to "flicker" and "ping" each other. So many tiny touches, a
"hovercover" (basically a drone umbrella), packaging that folds itself
up into an origami butterfly to float off to the nearest recycle bin.
Bubbles of beverages (access with a straw), 4D scanning at the clothing
store, marking all your measurements, clothes designed digitally and
then quickly stitched to custom commands. And it all feels so natural,
it all fits and flows, while keeping me interested and entertained.
The story shifts between a few POVs ... I thought even the names fit this futuristic setting. Averey, Atlas, Leda, Eris, Watt, Cord, V, Rylin ... and the characters were very diverse too, many different races. Quite casual talk of girlfriends having girlfriends, not making it a "LGBTQ" thing, just a simple storyline. Sex was pretty casual here in the future too ... teens are still hooking up. Reading other reviews, some are turned off by the relationship between Atlas and Avery, as they are technically siblings, even though not related by blood (he's adopted). I guess that didn't really bother me. I've seen it happen between step-"siblings" IRL. It is not viewed as positive or normal, it's something they are hiding, knowing people would be shocked by it (and those who find out about it are appalled).
The story shifts between a few POVs ... I thought even the names fit this futuristic setting. Averey, Atlas, Leda, Eris, Watt, Cord, V, Rylin ... and the characters were very diverse too, many different races. Quite casual talk of girlfriends having girlfriends, not making it a "LGBTQ" thing, just a simple storyline. Sex was pretty casual here in the future too ... teens are still hooking up. Reading other reviews, some are turned off by the relationship between Atlas and Avery, as they are technically siblings, even though not related by blood (he's adopted). I guess that didn't really bother me. I've seen it happen between step-"siblings" IRL. It is not viewed as positive or normal, it's something they are hiding, knowing people would be shocked by it (and those who find out about it are appalled).
Book One starts with a prologue ... someone has fallen from the top of the tower. It takes quite a while before everything is revealed. In Book Two, there are continued repercussions for those involved. I thought Book Three was a good conclusion. Lots of twists and turns I wasn't expecting. I really wasn't sure how it was going to all wrap up.
I listened to the
audio editions, and the narrator was great. She is very young sounding,
which of course matches the majority of the characters correctly. Good
enunciation, inflection, pacing, voices ... just made the read even more
enjoyable having it read so well.
I'll
remember this series fondly. Interesting characters, ones we weren't
sure if we were supposed to love or hate. Everyone had issues. No one
was perfect ... even Avery (who was created as a "perfect" designer baby). Kudos to the author for her imagination!

No comments:
Post a Comment