Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Movies - Wheelchair Bound

What I'm Watching Wednesday

As I made the move to movies a while back (last Fall, when school started up again), I've been recording what I watched while working out as part of my weekly review. While I give a few thoughts on the shows then, I thought I'd try to do some specific "movie" posts featuring a few of the recent movies that seemed to combine on a similar theme.

I'd had my eye on the movie "Me Before You" for a bit (on AmazonPrime), but I knew it was based on a book, and I wanted to read the book first. I started (and finished) the book last week, and watched the movie Monday. I liked both the book and the movie, but was glad I'd read the book first. From the book blurb and movie preview, I knew going in that one of the main characters was in a wheelchair.

The week I was reading "Me Before You" one of my random movie selections was "The Bone Collector" ... I really didn't know anything about this movie going in, other than I recognized and liked the leads, and that it was a detective/police action/drama. The fact that Denzel Washington's character was in a wheelchair was a surprise to me. I thought it was quite unusual that I happened to be connecting with two different characters that week who were wishing to end their lives. That's not a super common theme.

I couldn't help but also make some comparisons between "Me Before You" and one of the first movies I watched as I started up last Fall ... "The Fundamentals of Caring" on Netflix (also based on a book, alas I did not read it first). Both movies showcased the relationship between a relatively inexperienced caregiver to a wheelchair bound individual. In both movies, the characters grow and change from knowing each other. Both attempt to get out and experience the world ... and both characters in the chair pretend to have a mental disability at the introduction to their new caregiver. Mean! ;)

If you've followed my TV posts, you might recall I am a GOT fan. In "Me Before You"  plays Louisa Clark ... a very UN-Khaleesi type role! Here, she is an underachieving twenty-six year old with a very unique fashion sense!

In "The Fundamentals of Caring" Trevor has a form of muscular dystrophy and has been dealing with the limitations of that  his entire life. In the other two movies, the characters ended up in a chair after accidents which left them paralyzed. While I don't recall the teen Trevor bringing up the option to end his life, that is a dominant desire for the two characters in the other films. Even with the similarities, each movie had its own distinct feel ... "Fundamentals" being a comedy/drama buddy film, "Me Before You" being a romantic drama and "The Bone Collector was a murder mystery.  

So many points to ponder with these movies. "Me Before You" is a popular bookclub read, likely for that reason. So many possible discussions on the right to die and disability. Very strong opinions and ideas, as voiced by characters in the book, and people reviewing these reads and movies. 

Stephen Hawking passed away the same week  I was watching/reading ...
There was so much talk in the news and social media.
A great example of what one can accomplish even with severe physical limitations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...