I've had my eye on the new Motiv ring tracker for a while. Not that I NEED another tracker. I'm still using my FitbitOne (clip-on tracker/torso) and my Fitbit Charge2 on my wrist. I'm already getting double data. Back in December I also wore my son's Alta (trying it out as a torso tracker in a 3rd party clip, just to compare the steps and such "Fitbit One Done? Alta Alternative?") But hey, I'm always interested in what else is out there, and how it stacks up.
So before you order the actual ring, Motiv sends you a sizing set. This not only helps you determine the correct size ... but is also the same size/shape of the actual ring so you can get a feel of what wearing the ring would be like.
I'm NOT a jewelry girl. I wear my wedding ring, and that's about it. When I first ordered the Fitbit Charge, Hubs was sure I wouldn't like having something on my wrist. I don't ... but it's worth it for my Fitbit feedback.
I was a little surprised at how much I did NOT like the feel of the ring on my finger :( At first, I tried it on my right ring finger. It just rubbed me wrong. I then tried it on my pointer finger, but just couldn't get used to it there either (and I was really giving this a try, over 24 hours in each spot. I'd also tried moving my Charge wristband to my right hand, figuring I'd just put both my big black trackers on the same hand, but I had a hard time with the Charge change-up too).
I put aside my ring set for a few days, and did a little additional research, reading reviews and online articles. The reviews have been fairly positive, although admitting that the data wasn't as comprehensive as what I was already getting with my Fitbit. One thing I HAD been looking forward to was the resting heart rate when wearing the ring 24/7. I don't wear my Charge at night. I just can't get comfortable sleeping with something on my wrist (and I still wear my One clipped to my jammies to get my sleep data there). I think my Fitbit feedback on my heart rate comes in higher as it doesn't count my nighttime hours.
Then I tried taking off my wedding ring and wearing the Motiv ring (plastic prototype) ... and as I am accustomed to wearing a ring on that finger, it felt more natural there. I have always taken my wedding ring off for weight workouts (as the dumbbells rub the wrong way with it on), but whereas I feared the Motiv on my right hand would interfere with racquetball or tennis (I am right handed), I don't think it would be an issue (although I do recall taking off my wedding ring for racquetball ... it's been a while since I played).
So ... still thinking. Motiv ... Maybe. There is the price tag. $200. To be upfront and honest, I doubt I'd get any additional motivation from the Motiv. I already have tracking and feedback on my activity. For weight loss, I know it's the eating (still waiting for some magic tracker than can count all my calories consumed. If I do go ahead, I did decide on the ring finger size (7 for me), but the color? I know the rose gold is the one aimed at the female clientle ... yet, you know me, I'm a gray black girl.
Motiv? Maybe ...



No comments:
Post a Comment