Wednesday, December 28, 2022

What I Was Watching ~ Q4

Quarter four ... the last three months of the year. 15 series, 15 movies ... that isn't counting all my Christmas Movies (in their own post). While several of the series were watching upstairs, seven of them were watched while working out, as were all the movies this month. But surprisingly, Hubs was in a watching mood, so SIX series were with him, and Ally McBeal is one I watch when I can't sleep ...

  • AllyMcBeal (S2&3): As mentioned above, my Ally McBeal sessions are when I can't sleep. I've seen the shows before, so I don't need to pay close attention and it's okay if I drift off. I wasn't sure it would stand the test of time, but I'm really enjoying it as much as I did years ago. Hulu. 
  • For All Mankind (S3): For some reason this one was on my mind last quarter, and I thought my viewing of season 2 (which was way back in the first quarter of the year) was more recent, and was season three. I then realized I hadn't seen season three and was excited to watch it. I would have subscribed to Apple+ just for this, but #1 son got a new phone, and a free trial, so he signed in on the gym Roku so I could watch. I REALLY like this show! Another big time jump.
  • Physical (S2): While I had Apple+ I watched the second season. As I'm into Zumba, the dance aerobic aspect is interesting. The show itself is a little dark, not really a "feel good" type. 
  • Dead to Me (S3): This was getting a LOT of buzz. I'd really enjoyed the first two seasons, but it had been a while. I had to watch recaps to remember all that was going on. Nice to have a conclusion (even if the very end is open to interpretation). 
  • Ghosts (S1): Like "The Office" and some other shows, this is one that originated in the UK, and then a US version was made. When I thought to start, I only had access to the UK version, so I went with it. Cute, but not super compelling to keep me coming back to the gym. 
  • BlackBird: Another Apple+ ... and this one kept me coming back. The main bad guy was so weirdly but almost innocently evil. I didn't recognize him from CobraKai!
  • ShiningVale: I didn't care for this ... had to push to finish.
  • From Scratch: Lots of buzz about this one too. I liked it, yes, there were tears.
  • Succession (S2): Watched with Hubs ... had to push to finish. No likeable characters and it was starting to drag some.
  • CobraKai (S5): Perhaps this has run its course? Losing interest in the series.
  • Welcome to Wrexham: I don't know that this would have appealed without some Ted Lasso love. Lots of humor, lots of proFanity. Interesting making a documentary about this, not knowing how it would turn out. Not sure if we'd watch a second season. 
  • House of Dragon (S1): Hubs and I had watched Game of Thrones together back in the day. We waited until all the episodes were out before we started the season. I didn't love it to start, and was a little thrown by the time jump and change in actors, but it ended up holding my interest in the end. Wasn't quite ready for it to be done.
  • Wednesday (S1): Lots of buzz on this one, but I was still surprised when Hubs queued it up, I wouldn't have figured it being one he'd want to watch. We're not really fans of Adams family (have seen a movie or two). This was cute, but we were ready to be done as it wrapped up.
  • White Lotus (S2): The first season was SO weird! This isn't one I would have chosen on my own, but I was willing to watch with Hubs. The intro music is bizarre (Hubs said it was included on a Peloton playlist which really surprised me). Lots of sex and such


  • Oblivion: Saw this on a list of "underappreciated sci-fi movies" and figured I'd give it a watch. Didn't see it on any of our streaming services, so I grabbed the DVD from the library (which Hubs teased me about). Liked it. Noticed it then was on a streaming service, so saw parts again as #3 watched it upstairs one day.
  • Race: This was quite compelling. Interesting story and fun to see "Ted Lasso" coaching track in earlier days ;) 
  • Luckiest Girl Alive: This kept my interest.
  • Extremely Loud and Exceedingly Close: This one seemed a little slow ... but it has stayed with me. I've continued to think about it months later. Tom Hanks and Sandra Bullock are in it, but the main role is the young boy. He reminds me a little of my nephew with some of his quirks and thought direction. The events of 911 are the impetus of everything. I was surprised a mother would let a child wander so much, yet the ending still caught me off guard. Loved it.
  • District 9: This was a rewatch ... I was pretty sure going in that I had seen it before but didn't have a super strong memory of it.
  • Alive: I'd read the book this is based on not long ago and wanted to see how the movie compared. I thought the film was good, although of course as always, left out so much detail that the book provides. 
  • Passengers: I'd seen this one before and really liked it. One of the boys wanted to watch it, not on any streaming services, so we did an Amazon rental. I went ahead and rewatched it in the gym.
  • Perks of Being a Wallflower: I'd heard buzz about this (movie and book) but hadn't seen or read it and thought it was time to remedy that. Liked it, didn't love it. 
  • The Guardian: This movie was mentioned by my son's coach, and I figured I'd give it a look (also a library DVD borrow). Liked it a lot.
  • Promising Young Woman: Sometimes I'll browse the "leaving" sections of the various streaming services to decide what to watch next (although ironically they often leave one service just to show up on another). That's how I selected this movie. Very sad.
  • Lou: Ummm, didn't like this one. I'd actually started watching, then stopped a little way in and switched to the Christmas movies, and then remembered I hadn't finished. Not sure it was worth the time to finish. I was rolling my eyes.
  • Still Alice: I actually started with the book ... but couldn't get into it (author narrating, and it wasn't working for me). Went straight to the movie. Very sad!
  • The Outsiders: I think I've seen this before, read the book, but it's been ages for either. Borrowed the DVD from the library, and the sound was so low, I had to turn the volume up as high as it would go. I then noticed it was streaming on HBO, and the quality (picture and sound) was so much better. I know this is a classic, so many recognizable names in their younger years ... but it felt so dated and over the top to me. 
  • Road to Perdition: Saw this advertised by Netflix on Facebook ... and couldn't find it on Netflix. Had to borrow from the library. Dark and slow and sad. I didn't really care for it.
  • RIPD: Super silly, over the top ... but enjoyable enough for a workout show.
I must admit, my workouts have been more quantity than quality. I've been choosing a simple walk on the treadmill (3.5 mph) over the elliptical, which feels harder, even though it's nice to be able to jump on it quickly (I wear slippers instead of shoes on it).  Walking while watching ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...