I recently finished up the third season of iZombie. I was really sad to have it come to an end. I figure the fourth season is coming soon, but as I wait for it to hit Netflix, the wait will be longer for me. I watched season 1 while doing cardio (elliptical or treadmill). When I started seasons 2. and then 3 ... I switched it to my weight workout show.
When I'm doing my weight/strength training ... I'm not always able to really "watch" or even see the TV. When I'm on my back on the bench doing a chest press, or down on the mat in a plank ... so shows during strength training need to be ones I can keep up with even without dedicated attention. While I like action/drama for cardio (get that adrenaline pumping!) this kooky comedy worked well for weights. The show also needs to be one where I can wait a bit between episodes, as while I try to get in multiple weight workouts, sometimes it's only once a week. iZombie fit the bill nicely.
I first blogged about iZombie back in October of 2016 when I finished up season 1 (Vampires, Werewolves and Zombies Oh My). Everything I said about the show then ... it's cartoonish feel and the silly scenarios still describe the second and third seasons. While it is obviously a comedy, there really are some dramatic and emotional moments. I really like these characters.
While on the topic of zombie comedies, I feel I should mention the new Netflix original "Santa Clarita Diet" which Hubs and I watched together ... for a bit anyway. It got a little too silly and Hubs gave up on it, but I'll finish out the season (only 10 episodes) ... maybe even during weight workouts!
It has similarities to iZombie, with extremely silly situations ... which a bunch of f-bombs and projectile vomiting thrown in.
Just as Liv, from iZombie, is featured creatively cutting up brains and prepping them in fun foods, Sheila grinds up body parts for a protein smoothie. Definite difference between the two shows, in the first, only brains are acceptable to the zombie appetite whereas in the second show, she eats it all. And I mean everything!
While I've really liked Barrymore in many movies (The Wedding Singer, 50 First Dates, Music and Lyrics) I can't quite connect with her character here. Her acting seems stilted, her enunciation off. VERY different character for Olyphant also, who I've only seen in the dark dramas "Deadwood" and "Justified" ... it's strange to see him smile and act so silly!
Well ... speaking of weights, it's time for my strength training workout.
What will I watch?


No comments:
Post a Comment