Movies ... my two older boys jumped on the "MoviePass" deals, going to the theaters to watch several shows a month. I remember many years ago, Hubs and I were going almost weekly. But then, I moved out of the movie routine. I'm a homebody, I admit it. Even with the reserved seating and nice recliners, it just wasn't worth it to face the crowds and the rising costs. Hubs makes the best popcorn here at home, my bed is so much more comfortable, and I can pause if a potty break is needed. It only requires patience, and I was more than willing to wait until movies hit DVD or streaming services.
I saw "Star War: The Force Awakens" in theaters Dec2015 when it first
came out. I'm not really a big Star Wars fan, but it was a family night
out. I didn't see a movie in theaters in 2016 or 2017. I saw two this last year in 2018... "The Greatest Showman" and "Incredibles2"
Other than some shows watched with Hubby before bed, I really only watch TV/Movies while I'm working out. I don't know I use it as an incentive for me to be able to watch what I want, or if I'm just filling the workout time attempting to keep myself entertained while exercising. I've stuck to series for the most part. I like the continuing storylines, hopefully catching my attention and encouraging me to exercise again, to find out what happens next. In the Fall of 2017, I decided to make the move to movies. I had a HUGE backlog to choose from!
One of the first movies I watched was "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" which I really enjoyed. I am a P&P fan. I watched a few more of the "girly" shows (Beauty and Cinderalla remakes, Disney's Moana) caught the next Star Wars, watched big screen versions of several books I've read. Some good. Some NOT. Then I scanned the streaming services we had (with a switch to DirectTV, we had a three month trial of Showtime, Starz and Cinimax. We also had HBO, AmazonPrime and Netflix) to see what movies were there. Sometimes I'd let the "expiration" dates inspire me what to watch, or recommendations from friends family, or just what peaked my interest at the moment.
Generally action/adventure movies were better suited to watching while working out. Ones that could get the adrenaline pumping, make me feel like MY jog or elliptical wasn't nearly as hard as whoever was on screen running or fighting. I did watch some comedy and slower dramas too though. I really enjoyed some shows, and was rolling my eyes at others, just pushing to finish.
2017 films featured above ... 2018 films featured below.
I only made my move to movies in the final third of the year in 2017. I stuck with movies for most of 2018. I wasn't sure if I'd switch back to series for the summer. My gym time tends to decrease during the summer months, off the school schedule. I prefer to start/finish a movie in a single day, and some summer days didn't include 90-120+ minutes in the gym. Looking back, May was with high with 20 movies that month. September slipped to just six, the low for one month during the year.
Some of the movies I watched were quite current, hitting HBO or one of the other streaming services fairly quickly after leaving theaters. Other movies were old ... ones I'd just never gotten around to seeing. Some I'd heard of, seen previews and reviews ... others were ones I wondered if they had even been in theaters. I'd never heard of them. Most were mainstream studio shows, but the last couple years have seen an increase in "originals" from Netflix and Amazon. Some weeks I'd stick with a theme, watching similar shows, or movies with the same actor in them ... other weeks I'd purposely pick movies across a wide variety of topics and genres.
I'd really meant to do monthly movie blog posts ... spotlighting several shows that had a similar theme or something else tying them together (books to movies, addressing aging, sports shows, superhero shows, based on true stories) but I only got a couple of posts completed. Who knows, maybe I'll still get around to such spotlights. And of course during this time, I have still been watching some TV series (as my movies wouldn't wrap up perfectly with my workouts, so sometimes I'd still need some extra TV time to finish up, or on days I knew I didn't have a full "movie" workout in me, like on weekends). But that too is another post.
Which of these movies did you watch and enjoy?



No comments:
Post a Comment