Tuesday, January 15, 2019

TV Tuesday - Six Series

It's been a while since I've done a TV Tuesday post. While my move to movies has cut back on the series I've seen, I still got through a few. Most of these were last summer/fall. I enjoyed them all.  The first three all had a paranormal theme, while the other three were all legal/detective type dramas. All on Netflix, except for The Good Fight, which I watched on a trial of CBS's streaming service (I canceled before I had to pay, as this was really the only series I had been interested in).

  • The Innocents: I really hadn't heard any buzz about this one, but decided to give it a try and it hooked me. It was odd ... I have the captions on all the time anyway, but here there were subtitles for spoken Scandinavian, which happened more than you would have thought going into it. Other than Guy Pierce, I really hadn't seen the other actors in anything else. I often enjoy having fresh faces, no preconceived parts to compare against. The supernatural storyline has to do with a few people who can "shift" ... not into werewolves or other animals, but into the person they have touched. Unique and interesting. I liked it a lot and would watch a sequel, although I'm not sure if one is in the works. There was a cliffhanger ending.
  • Sense8: I'd watched the first season and really liked it. When the second season first came out, and everyone else discovered the series, there was the huge controversy over its cancellation. Again, a cliffhanger ending leaving frustrated fans. I had just not gotten back into it, knowing I wouldn't get a resolution. When Netflix finally came out with an additional "ending" finale, I finally got around to watching it. Very explicit sexually, but I loved the idea of the connection between the characters.
  • The Haunting Of Hill House: I'm not a "horror" fan, but this wasn't horror. It was a supernatural suspense series, and I was hooked. The constant jumping between timelines was a little confusing, and then there were the different perspectives. At times you'd see the same scene from different sets of eyes. I don't think I'd seen Henry Thomas in anything since ET when he was a child, and I laughed out loud when in one of the "past" scenes, the children (Thomas's character's kids) had an ET lunchbox with Elliot on it.  I must admit, I watched several episodes upstairs during a week when I wasn't feeling well and not up to exercising. 
  • The Sinner: Hmmm, I wasn't sure what to think here. It sure started off suddenly, absolutely unexpected. It was a little frustrating trying to piece together the past when she would change her story over and over. With flashbacks, we'd see pieces of the past coming together to explain the actions that seemed unexplainable. Still some odd and explicit stuff. 
  • Seven Seconds: Another dark drama centered around a death, with detectives attempting to uncover what happened. This time, we watching know right off who is to blame and basically what happened and get a peek as other try to cover it up. Not a lot of likeable characters, everyone is flawed, but that's reality. It really kept my interest and was hard hitting emotionally.
  • The Good Fight: I'd loved "The Good Wife" over the years and had been interested in this spin-off, just not interested enough to pay extra for CBS All Access. When a free trial was offered, I decided to give it a try. Diane and Luca from the original series will still the power players, with the gal from "Game of Thrones" stepping in as well. I enjoyed the storylines ... there was even one where Fitbit feedback was evidence in a case (but I'm not sure how true to fact that was, from personal experience only the individual has access to heart rate data. Here they were pointing out that there likely would have been increased HR during a sexual interaction, so since the HR stayed low, nothing happened).  Some reviewers were unhappy with the political leanings. I just watched the first season so far ... maybe I'll try a trial again to watch more.
I like shows that catch my interest, and make me WANT to get back to the gym, just to see what happens next. Storylines that involve me, to much that I forget I'm working out. Ones that get the adrenaline pumped, making exercise easier. All of these fit the bill for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...