Monday, January 13, 2020

JenB's Books in 2019



 I love the Good Reads end of year summary. I almost DOUBLED the amount of books this year. Two reasons. The addition of earbuds (I was listening to audio with my big Bose headphones, but with earbuds, I was listening whenever possible. Driving, cleaning, shopping, mowing the lawn ... I'd roll out of bed and stick one in and be listening while I weighed myself, got dressed and made the bed). The other was Kindle Unlimited. There was a deal at the start of the year; 3 months for $1. I pretty much stuck with just the KU titles that had audio included. Unlike regular Audible or library loans though, they had both, so there were times I would switch from listening to reading, then back again. I canceled KU after those three months, but then there was another promotion, $2 for two months. So I did that. Then there was a "three month free for Prime members" so of course I did that. Then there was another deal ... so while never paying the full $10 a month price, I pretty much had Kindle Unlimited all year. I still had some holds at my library, and my wishlist there is getting longer and longer.

Here's a peek at my ratings. I had quite a few FIVE star reads this year. Many I'll think back on fondly. Several series really deserve their own blog post (I did post about the 1000th Floor, Evermen and Shifting Tides, The Conqueror's Saga and a few more). Lots of four star, three star. Several two star, a couple one star and a couple I didn't finish (and didn't feel I should rate officially).

In addition to Kindle Unlimited and my library, I started reviewing books for Audiobook Boom. Authors, publishers and narrators will offer their books free in exchange for an honest review, similar to Netgalley (which I had done in the past, but I love getting audio for free!) And honestly - if you look at the number of Audio vs Read books for me ... I sometimes feel guilty devoting too much time to "just" reading, whereas with audio, I'm multi-tasking (listening while  driving, watching basketball games live or video highlights, doing laundry, gardening, cleaning, mowing the lawn ...). But even with books I've marked as audio, I often read a good portion if I also had access to the text. Sometimes, when I just preferred to read (before bed), or when I got a distracted during my listening (it happens!) and needed to re-read to review before continuing on. So ... there was more READING than it might appear ;)

So here's a look back at the month to month books for 2019. It's interesting to look back here at the end of the year. To look at some and remember almost everything about the book, to seeing some covers and not really having any recollection to what that one was about (I can always go back to GoodReads to check out my rating and review if I need a refresher). 

20 books in January

17 books in February

17 books in March

15 books in  April

16 books in May

18 books in June

19 books in July

15 books in August

18 books in September

14 books in October

 17 books in November

23 books in December

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...