Tuesday, January 16, 2018

TV Tuesday - Two Up, Two Down


I haven't done a TV Tuesday post in a while ... mostly because I haven't gotten around to blogging anything much beyond my weekly weigh-in (but at least I've kept that consistent). But also, with my move to movies a while back, I just haven't completed many series lately. But reflecting on recent TV ... I watched a couple series seasons down in the gym while working out, and a couple with Hubs upstairs (while lazily laying in bed, occasionally eating popcorn). 

When Stranger Things 2 hit the scene ... I knew I'd need to take a quick break from my movies to start (and finish) the series, as the kids would be watching up in the family room. It's a personal pet peeve of mine, to see spots of shows I'm planning to watch. With just nine episodes, and me in the gym 2+ hours (hour of elliptical, hour walk on the treadmill) Mon-Fri I was able to get through it pretty quick, before I saw any spoilers. I really hadn't been sure I'd like a second season. I wasn't sure where it would go after the first one... but I liked it. I was really sad about Bob. It was interesting to see the further growth of Steve (big changes from when Season 1 started). Familiar face (for me, the kids didn't know him) of Paul Reiser, and trying to figure out if he was a good guy or a bad guy. So, Stranger Things season two was watched shortly after it came out last year. 

With our switch to Direct TV, we were given a three month trial of some of the top cable channels. HBO, Showtime, Starz. While they were free, I watched the first two seasons of Masters of Sex. As the title implies, not only was sex the focus of "the study" for Dr. Masters, but there was a lot of it in the show. But beyond that, it was an interesting storyline based in the 1950s addressing many themes for the times. I would watch an episode here and there (when a movie was shorter than my workouts, or over weekends) and there are a couple more seasons (12 episodes in each). Our trial is up so we no longer have the Showtime channel and I don't care enough to pay to continue on. 

Hubs and I will sometimes watch a series winding down the day before bed, 
with the occasional binge on a Sunday. 

I hadn't really heard anything about the Amazon Original Fortitude. While Dennis Quaid is featured on the image, he doesn't show until season two. It started off simply enough ... a little winter town, where if you are in danger of dying (sickness, etc.) you have to leave, because they can't bury you. Dying in Fortitude isn't allowed ... but then it happens a lot in these two seasons! At first it seemed to be a mystery. Then it just turned weird. Wondered if it was supernatural, but it was explained (if a bit unbelievably). Season 1 (11 episodes) was better than season 2 (10 episodes). I think a 3rd and final season is in the works. I'd probably watch it ...

I'd seen a preview or two of Godless, a Netflix Original. Billed as a "mini-series event" it had seven episodes. I do like that everything is added at one time, no waiting between episodes like network television. Irony again, for this featuring a town without men, there were a lot of men in the picture. Lady Mary (from Downton Abby) in a very different role. This was an old-fashioned western. I didn't like Jeff Daniels as a bad guy ... he played it well, I just generally like to LIKE him ;)

****************

So my title of "two up two down" really refers to where I watched these four shows. The up/down could also indicate a "thumbs up/thumbs down" ... but I'm torn on these. Stranger Things would be a definite thumbs up (would recommend to friends/family) but I'm not sure on the other three. They would be more if the storyline sounds up your alley. If yes, go for it. ;)

Currently down in the gym ... I'm back to movies, with the occasional episode from a series thrown in when needed. Catching up on some Grey's Anatomy and Colony (season 2). Upstairs, Hubs has started watching Veep (we do still have HBO with our AT&T phone plan). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...