Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Recent Reads - Janie Johnson Series

These past several weeks, while I haven't been very productive as far as food and fitness ... I have been reading. I speed through all five books in this Janie Johnson series (six are pictured, but one is just a short add-on ebook). This certainly wasn't the best series I've read, but I did continue on from book to book and read them all, so that does say something for keeping my attention. There were fairly short, aimed more for a YA (female) audience.

I'd had this on my "to read" list after seeing it recommended somewhere. When the series appeared again on a list of books recommended for reluctant readers, I figured I'd give it a try. My local library had all the books (including the small e-book addition) as digital downloads, and all were available. The first book won awards back in 1993, so it isn't fresh off the presses (Janie uses a pay phone at one point ... that dates things!)

The covers make the series appear a bit more sinister than it really is ... much of it was really quite light (as we are in the head of our young protagonist and she's a bit flighty). Just shy of 16 years old, Janie sees the face of a missing little girl on a milk carton and recognizes her younger self. While the author does attempt to explain away several issues, I did feel like it called for a bit of suspension of disbelief. It was a complex situation that makes you consider what is right and wrong. 

As I finished the first book, I felt it was a little "young" ... the voice of Janie grated on me at times. I wasn't sure I would continue, but, as the second book is titled "What Ever Happened to Janie" ... honestly, I did wonder! That book had a fairly nice conclusion, so again, I didn't think I'd continue, but I read the first couple chapters (included at the back of the book) and I was interested enough to continue. The fourth book brought in another dimension to the already sticky situation. "What Janie Saw" was only 32 pages, but it was a pretty important intro to book 5. I really felt like it should have been included as part of that book, not a separate entity. The final offerings (the e-book and book 5) grated on me again ... the "voice" of a new character was extremely unlikeable, enough so that I really couldn't enjoy the read.

I think I probably would have really enjoyed the series if I had read it when I was a teen ... of course it hadn't quite been written yet then! As I peeked at the reviews on Amazon and Good Reads, the ratings seemed all across the board. Some loved it. Some hated it. I liked it ... have you heard of or read this series?

Unfortunately ... I only read a small portion of this while on the stationary bike. I've been a bit of a lazy slug lately! Reading in bed ... can you imagine?

1 comment:

  1. I haven't heard of this series, but sounds interesting. I read a lot of YA fiction.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...