Monday, July 25, 2016

Fitbit Tracking and the Teenager


Ah ... Fitbit Feedback!

I've had a Fitbit for over five years now ... and I'm still addicted and motivated by it's feedback. In the image above, you can see a quick capture of my average summer weekday. I sleep in until about 7:30, then I get in a 20min session on the elliptical. I go to a Zumba class around 9:00 for an hour.  I always try for an hour of elliptical, so there should be two more 20min sessions somewhere in the day, plus whatever other activity I do (bike, walk, etc). Winding down in the evenings. In bed by around 10:00. I'm pretty consistent.

My 17-year old son is leaving on a "pioneer trek" tomorrow. I pulled up his Fitbit account to check the status of his battery (he has the Zip, with a replaceable battery) because I wanted to make sure it was ready to capture his days as he walks and walks and walks. While I had his account up, I just glanced at HIS days ...


 Tuesday, July 19
 Wednesday, July 20

 Thursday, July 21

Other than Tuesday, when he got up to play basketball with his friends fairly early, you can SEE he is a late to bed and LATE to rise boy! With summer in season, he's generally sleeping in until 11:00 in the morning, as he recovers from staying up so late. It's work until 11:30 or so most days, then sometimes some hanging with friends or playing Pokemon Go.  Even with the sleeping in and no official "exercise" ... he is pretty active. He gets enough steps in to stay competitive.

 Other than Mommy, he's got everyone beat this week.


I did have to take a second glance at the Friday stats ...

Friday, July 22

Ummmm.... my child, just WHAT were you doing from 3:30-4:30 in the a.m. to get a green spike like that? He was having a "sleep over" with friends ... and it looks like they were NOT sleeping!  I did ask him for an explanation, and he said "um, dancing?"  Trying to pull an all-nighter and TRYING to stay awake. Hmmm, believable? 

My oldest is on a mission to Mexico right now. He doesn't have access to the internet, so he couldn't sync a Fitbit. He wears a cheap pedometer and writes down the steps and mails them to me. I so WISH a Fitbit worked, so I could SEE his day too. When #2 and #3 were at basketball camp for a week, even when they neglected to check in, their Fitbit's would sync, and I could see (by the spikes) when they had played their games. It made me feel a part of it, even though I wasn't there.

I can't wait to see the steps after trek this week ... there will be no internet access, so I'll have to wait until he gets back on Friday. I'm anticipating a VERY different look to his step graphs for the week. There will be no sleeping in, no staying up late ... and I'm sure NO 3:30 am dancing!

1 comment:

  1. My sons are grown now, but I would have been extremely curious to see what their feedback would have been back in the day. (And probably completely confused/worried/panic-stricken!) Maybe it's a good thing Fitbits weren't around then?

    You have amazing step totals for the week, always inspired by you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...