Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Lois Duncan Died

Every month I write up a "recent reads" post ... or something to do with books anyway. When I heard one of my favorite authors had passed away, I decided to dedicate this month's edition to Lois Duncan. 

I discovered Duncan when I was a teen ... so we're talking 30 years ago! She had written a bunch of paranormal stories, and then some realistic fiction (without the supernatural angle). Looking back on the books I enjoyed, most were published in the 1970s or 1980s.  Duncan continued to write, but by the time I was in high school (the later 80s) I'd moved on, so I'm unfamiliar with her later works. One of them "Gallows Hill" written in 1997 popped up on my library list, so I read it recently, just a couple months ago in March. It wasn't quite the "ahhhhh" that I remembered from my teen years. I wasn't sure if this was because I've grown, or if the later writing just wasn't as much up my alley ... probably a bit of both.

The  book that made me a Lois Duncan fan was "A Gift of Magic" ... in this story, the three children in the family are all blessed with gifts. The oldest daughter has the gift of dance, the son has the gift of music, and the younger daughter ... the gift of magic (esp). The part of the story that impacted my young self the most was a little tidbit in the epilogue. The mother of the kids remarries, to a Tom Duncan. Together they had a little girl. They named her Lois ... and she was born with the gift of storytelling. Ohhhhh! Get it? Lois Duncan ... that's the name of the author! My little self LOVED that!  

Other books of Lois Duncan's I read and enjoyed ...
I have many of these in my personal library, saved from when I was young. Not all the covers match up to what I remember. I've heard that some of the books have been re-edited and updated (adding in cell phones, email, etc. to make them more appealing and applicable to the current generation). 

Have you heard of Lois Duncan?
Did you read any of her works?

1 comment:

  1. Oh my! I read quite a bit of her books way back 30 years (or more) ago!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...