Monday, October 10, 2016

Musical Musings

I love music. When I first started my exercise routine over 10 years ago, I had dozens of different playlists ... one for every mood. I collected songs with a 5mph beat, to pace me when I'd attempt jogging. I'd put music on while I'd clean up the kitchen or drive in the car ...

Over a year ago I did a "Music vs Silence" post ... I had some forced silence (broken radio) during drives, and I was drawn to it. I liked the quiet. As I chauffeured the kids, it prompted some great conversations.

At home, I converted to audiobooks while I worked around the house, or killed time between basketball games (even if there was a track, when previously I might have jogged or walked to music).

But I've missed music ...

With child #4 in middle school, and a school carpool in place ... the silence was a little uncomfortable. So I spent some time in Itunes, prepping a playlist, adding songs I haven't listened to in forever.  I have so much forgotten music! Songs I haven't listened to in years. Sometimes I hear one of my old "jogging" songs, and I feel that urge to try it on the track (although I have resisted said urge, my few treadmill times have still been to the television). 

Of course, with my Zumba Mon-Thursday, I still got in a lot of music this past year. Some songs stay in that "Zumba" zone, but others cross over into my everyday. I'll often stop quickly to Shazam and/or ask the instructor about a song that hits grabs me. One piece, introduced during the cool down/stretching really hit me hard ... It was created to promote a movie/movement really highlighted here in Utah. Operation Underground, "The Abolitionists". I never got around to seeing the movie, but I HAD to look up the song. It's sad and haunting and beautiful ...



... I figured, as I rediscovered some of my music, I'd do some "Musical Monday" posts and share some favorites, old and new, with you too. Play on ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...