Thursday, March 19, 2015

Music vs Silence

I LOVE music. I grew up playing the piano. I sang in high school and college. Music has such a profound power ... motivating you, making memories, affecting mood. In many ways, I think it's almost essential to exercise. To jogging anyway ... I am one that must match my footfalls with the beat. Of course music is mandatory for Zumba! I've posted about my music several times on the blog.

But something interesting has happened lately.

I always listened to music in the car. I can't stand commercials, so I'd generally go with an ipod plugged into the stereo system. Occasionally, we have to do a car swap in the family, and several months ago I ended up driving #1 son's truck for a bit. The sound system doesn't work in the truck. No itunes, no radio. And I actually got used to the silence.

I'm back in my burb now, with a working sound system ... but I'm finding I'm not turning it on. I've learned to enjoy the silence. I'm comfortable with it. It gives me time to think, or just be, without any noise.

I still love music. As far as exercise ... I'm going to continue to play my music (or in my home gym, TV takes the place of music much of the time). I know there are some runners who just run, without music. I've never understood that. HOW? I need that music to drive me (and who am I kidding, I'm not much of  a runner anyway). I know it's actually recommended for safety, to be in tune with the surroundings. But maybe, those runners have discovered the secret of silence. Of listening to their own breathing, their heartbeat, just being ...

In the car, there are times we'll turn on the radio or the ipod playlist, but most of the time now ... I'm driving in silence, and I like it.

Just Thinking Out Loud this Thursday.


1 comment:

  1. We are so fortunate to have such a large variety of music that we can listen to.

    However, silence can be golden and we must try to balance the different sounds that take part in our daily life.

    Balance in everything is key.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...