Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Recent Reads - The Legacy Series

I love it when I simply stumble upon a great series. I read Twilight, but after all the hype, and waiting in-between books, it was a bit of a disappointment. I liked the Hunger Games a lot, but I must admit during the wait for the third book I forgot quite a bit. Divergent ... another YA dystopian I enjoyed, as did much of the world. I really feel like "The Legacy" rates right up there with these more well known trilogies, but so far I haven't heard of anyone else I know personally who has discovered these. I think they certainly deserve a shout out!

Book 1 is available for purchase in paperback, although it's a bit pricey. The Kindle cost is $4.99, but I was lucky enough to snag it for free. Often authors/publishers or Amazon will offer  books for free for a limited time. Sites like Book Bub and Pixal of Ink can help you watch for these ... it's a little hit and miss, in both what is offered, and sometimes the quality of free offerings, but I'll often "buy" a free book a day from these recommendations and spotlights. I just keep them in my Kindle cloud until I'm ready to read. That's what happened here ... I'd "purchased" book 1, and when I needed my next read, it was at the top of my recent purchases, and I decided to give it a try. 

The book is written in first person/present tense. I sometimes struggle with this perspective, unless it's really well written. This was. One TINY thing that would distract me a bit from my reading was all the British spellings of words (civilisation, idolised, sombrely, realised, strategising, apologises, hiccoughs, honoured, centre, etc). I do realize these are accepted English spellings, but they just jump out at my ol' American brain. :) I think I'm much more accepting of it if the setting/characters are British, but here, they were obviously American. 

The first two books in the series were published in 2013, book three came out in January of 2015. Lucky for me, I didn't discover the series until all three books in the trilogy were available. I was so glad I was able to go right from one to the next without having to wait. I DID have to BUY the follow-ups to the first book (they are reasonable, also just $4.99 each, I am just super cheap and feel bad buying books when I have hundreds already waiting in my Kindle cloud.) These seem to be new and unknown, so they aren't available at my library. The second/third book are ONLY available as e-books (which is fine by me, especially as I wanted them IMMEDIATELY, but I know many out there are still prefer physical books).  I read these back to back, one immediately after the other. Sometimes I don't want to do that with a series ... I need a break. But not here.  I really got to know and care about the characters. There is a love triangle, but it's seriously one of the hardest ones I've ever read!(and I mean that in a good way, I could NOT choose either!)

I know you aren't supposed to judge a book by its cover, but we all do a bit don't we? These were simple and stark and I thought they were great. 
I love how consistent the covers are too.  That's a silly pet peeve of mine, when the covers for a series look really different. I like them to flow there in addition to in the written word. 

There aren't many reviews on these (on either Amazon or GoodReads, especially for the third book). I'm just surprised there aren't more people reading these, as I loved them. If you are looking for something to read ... I recommend these! Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...