Monday, March 28, 2016

Meniere's and other Medical Mishaps this March

Last Monday, I was pretty motivated. I got up early and got started on the day. An hour of elliptical, Zumba and weights. I was planning on hitting the bike in the evening, when I got a call from Hubs. Just a quick call. He was having a Meniere's attack. It had come on in a single moment. He'd been stopped at a light, after glancing down he looked up and the world was spinning. He managed to pull over into an empty church parking lot ...

Have you heard of Meniere's Disease? Unless it affects someone close to you, it's not likely you have. It isn't one that makes the news. Meniere's disease is a disorder of the inner ear that causes episodes in which you feel as if you're spinning (vertigo), and you have fluctuating hearing loss with a progressive, ultimately permanent loss of hearing, ringing in the ear (tinnitus), and sometimes a feeling of fullness or pressure in your ear. For Hubs, the hearing loss and tinnitus have been constant for years now. It's just something he's learned to deal with day to day. The attacks on the other hand ... severe vertigo can cause loss of balance, nausea, sweating and vomiting. Usually he can feel an attack coming on, it time to get horizontal. A fan is helpful, and NO movement. He needs to fix is eyes on a single spot in an attempt to stop the spinning. Usually we just have to wait it out (several hours) and then there is definitely a drag for hours, even a day after the spinning stops.

Hubs has gone months, even years without an attack ... then had several close together. Caffeine, salt, stress are all thought to be possible triggers, but we haven't had much luck with lifestyle changes. If you have been following my Day to Day Doings I've mentioned that Hubs has recently (the last month or two) been improving his eating and exercise habits ... which makes it especially discouraging to have an attack happen now, when he has been being good!

I still remember his worst attack, just a day or two before we had baby #3. I was glad it happened before ... not during or in the days after (when he was helping out with the other boys). I remember having to leave a movie theater, as the jittery camera work was starting to set him off. We once had to cancel a weekend getwaway as an attack took over. Overall though, we've been pretty lucky. As bad as it is at times, there are others who have it worse (I joined a Meniere's Group on Facebook, and oh the stories there!). 

Last Monday ... we had the evening free at least, as Hubs sat for four hours in his truck until the attack passed. He was fairly close to home, I did drive out to check on him, bring him some water ... but there's not much else I can do but wait it out with him. Needless to say, I didn't get my session on the bike in, and poor Hubs felt totally gypped of his evening. He did recover enough to work the next day, and do a couple derbies that week, and jog five miles on Saturday. Crossing fingers that the next attack is far, far away!

This March has had a few extra medical issues ... #3 has been in his cast this entire month, he'll be getting it off tomorrow unless there are complications. I had my followup with my doctor this month as well. I'd mentioned in one of my earlier Friday recaps that while going in for a routine IUD removal ... the doctor couldn't find it. There was a bit of stress, I've heard of them "migrating" to other locations in the body, requiring surgery, but we were lucky again, as an ultrasound showed it was still in place and with it as a guide it was able to be located and removed. 

I'm dealing with insurance issues as well ... back in November I took #2 in for a basic sports physical. I see these advertised many locations for $20. We do have insurance, and I went to one on the list, only now, months later, receiving notification that it wasn't covered, and the bill was almost $200! So much fun! Still working on figuring that out.

I'm ready for March, and the medical issues therein, to be done. 
Hoping for an awesome April! 



1 comment:

  1. It has been a rough month! Good luck to Hubs in not having another attack in a long long time!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...