Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Tasty Tuesday - Chocolate Mint Brownies

Time for a Tasty Tuesday Edition 
Chocolate Mint Brownies 
 
Mmmmm ... chocolate mint brownies. Yummy! There are oodles of recipes floating around the web. After trying a few, I just reverted to an old family favorite for the brownie portion, and then played around with the mint and chocolate layers. I must admit ... I still struggle with the ganache.  Half the time, it doesn't turn out. Tips anyone? I still need to research, and practice I guess! I mean, if I HAVE to make more brownies to learn ... a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do, right? A couple of my older boys like these mint brownies, but Hubs and the littles don't care for them ... more for me! The do freeze great. In fact, they really need to be kept refrigerated at least, to keep the mint layer somewhat solid.

For the brownies ... this makes enough for one of those big jelly roll pans with sides. When I'm making these, I make the BIG batch, and then freeze big pieces. You can eat them straight from the freezer, or pull them out and let them soften slightly in the fridge.

3 1/4 cups butter
1 cup cocoa powder
8 eggs
4 cups sugar 
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
3 cups flour

Melt the butter over low heat. Add cocoa and sugar. Allow to cool slightly and add beaten eggs and additional ingredients. Bake in 11x17x1 pan, 350° for 25 minutes. Cool.

For the mint layer ...
1 cup (2 sticks) butter (room temperature)
4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream (more if needed)
2 tsp mint extract
Green food coloring (a few drops)

Use a hand mixer to combine the butter and powdered sugar, adding the cream a little at a time until combined and fluffy. Add more powdered sugar/cream to desired consistency. Add mint/food coloring and mix. Spread over cooled brownies. Refrigerate or freeze the pan to set.

For the ganache ...
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cups heavy cream

Melt chocolate chips, add heated cream and stir until combined and creamy. Spread immediately over mint layer. This step ... ganache can get clumpy and hard. It's tricky! All about getting the perfect temp. Still practicing!


This recipe by Betty Crocker, uses cream cheese in the mint layer (cream cheese and mint? Does that go together?) and uses butter in addition to cream for the chocolate topping. Maybe I'll have to try that and see if I have more consistent success. This recipe from Sally's Baking Addiction only uses butter for the ganache (which can be handy, as I always have butter on hand, but don't always have cream).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...