Thursday, February 12, 2015

"Fitbit Finder" Comes Through Again!

We are a Fitbit Family. The BTLExplorer screen shot above shows all of our devices as we went for a drive. There are seven people in our immediate family, and seven Fitbits (the "unknown device" is #1 sons new Charge). I downloaded the BTLExplorer app a while back when I heard stories of how it had helped people find a lost Fitbit. It was free, so I figured I'd have it on hand just in case. Then I needed to put the app to use (Lost and Found) and was so thankful I'd heard about it!

In addition to my immediate family being fitted with Fitbits, my extended family is too. My parents, brothers, SILs and sister all have one now. Last week, my mother copied me on an email my brother had sent. He was so sad, as he'd lost his Fitbit Flex. He had searched the house to no avail. I emailed him back and told him about this app. Here was a bit of our email exchange ...

  • Me:  You do still have to be somewhat close...15 feet or so, but as Mom said I was able to find mine on a grass soccer field in the dark. It's worth a try.  I've attached a screenshot of the app while my family was in the car ... the One and Flex (with the smallest number) are me and Gray in the front seat of the car, Landon is right behind me (with the Unknown, which has now updated to show it is a Charge). Callahan is in the other second row seat, and the three little boys (two Zips and a One) are in the back. You can see how the numbers are higher when the Fitbit is further away from the phone. If you walked all around your house, hopefully it would pick up the Flex, then you could play "hot and cold" once you've narrowed it down to a room or something. IF it's in the house ... 
  • D: Cool app! I'm using it now, and it says "Flex" under my "Peripherals" but I keep walking around and I can't seem to locate it. My numbers for the Flex are all negative (i.e. -92). I got it down to -60 or so in the garage but still couldn't find it anywhere! I'm scared that the battery is going to die on my Flex and then I'll be really out of luck! I lost it Monday night so the battery should be pretty well gone by now.  
  • Me: I don't know if it's a negative or a dash (-), but regardless, 127 means you are in the same room, as you get closer, the number drops. Around 50-60 and you should be right on top of it. So go back to the garage, it's there somewhere! 
  • D: Oh my gosh - I can't believe it, but that app totally worked. I found it! I went back to the garage and the lowest rating was right by my work shelf. I started rummaging through a box that I don't even remember using this week and there it was! I must have come off while I was working and fallen into this obscure box of random supplies! I wouldn't have found it for years! Thanks Jen! That app saved $99!
Aren't I a handy sister to have around?  It helped me in my "mommy" role too ...

Yesterday, #4 was looking around, and looking guilty! I asked him what was up and he admitted he couldn't find his Fitbit. I grabbed my phone and pulled up the handy dandy BTLExplorer app. I walked all around the house, but no extra One appeared on the screen. I checked the car, but it wasn't there either. I suggested we try going back to the school and retracing his steps. We went back to the elementary, and almost upon getting out of the car ... another One popped up on my app. It WAS here somewhere. I actually don't think we really even needed the app at this point, as it was in plain site there on the sidewalk (it must have fallen off as he and his brother raced to the car after school). If it had been out in the field though, the app would have been essential. It had been SO nice to know it wasn't in the house or the car though, so we didn't even spend any time looking there.

So if YOU have a Fitbit and an Apple product (ipod touch, phone or Ipad, I don't know if it's available for android) I really suggest downloading this app. It's free! play around with it a bit to get an idea of how it works (like my little screen shot at the top of this post). If your Fitbit disappears, maybe this can help you track it back down. 

Late linkup with Workout Wednesday!
 


2 comments:

  1. The FitBit needs a locator button. I know of 3 people who have lost their FitBit. They usually don't replace it and move on to some other form of charting their fitness. #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly I wear mine EVERYWHERE even to bed. The only time I take it off is to go in the shower and when hop out I put it right back on directly after I dry off. I don't think I will be losing it any time soon. I know overboard but I love wearing it plus I am competing with my cousin! #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...