Thursday, August 7, 2014

Food, Fitness and Faith

In the daily struggle for health and happiness, there are so many different beliefs. One person might trust something with all their heart, while another has an opposing view that they are absolutely sure is right. Many discover  "the truth" and want to shout it from the rooftops and share what they have found. People may believe ... but still struggle to commit, because the path is difficult.

Am I talking about religion,  or a food or fitness plan? 
Actually ... all three.
  


It's been interesting for me to note the various schools of thought when it comes to eating and exercise. Something new is introduced, and it gains followers and critics. Praised as "the way" by some, condemned by others. The low-fat revolution.  Zumba. Essential Oils.  There are converts to "Paleo" or "Cross-Fit" with such strong conviction it's almost religious. This is it. The way. The truth.

I've watched with interest as a friend raves about the primal lifestyle. Eating more meat and giving up grains and what a profound difference it has made. Then another friend swears that becoming vegetarian has completely changed his life for the better. As my eating habits leave much to be desired, I look at my friends and I know that they both have healthier habits than I do. Which is better? Is one of them "the true way of eating" that everyone in the world should adopt? What if I choose neither? Can I still survive without my quality of life being too compromised?

So many people rave about yoga ... again, in almost a religious way. More than just an exercise, it's good for the soul. I keep hearing about all the cross-fit converts and its opposition. There is a bit of a fanatic fever from both camps. I haven't really even looked into it, as I'm pretty happy with my current exercise routine. It's good enough for me and where I want to be.

Sorry if I'm rambling. It's been a bit of a tough time this past week or so. There have been some "faith" issues. Struggling with my beliefs and even if I do believe. It's actually not that new. While I was raised in a very religious family, I've just never felt very religious myself,  although I've gone through the motions. While I'm personally ok with my path, I've been ... outed so to speak (not out/out that I should be posting this  but I don't think many people who actually KNOW me even read my blog).  All this... it's sure affected my food  (comfort/stress eating anyone?) and fitness (fetal position feels fine). 


I've seen this quote applied to food, to fitness ... and to faith.
But, "what you want most" isn't the same for everyone, is it?

We don't all have the same goals.

I see parallels between faith(religion) and some of the food and fitness ways of life.  While people do feel very strongly at times about their eating and exercise habits, and these items do absolutely affect your life, there does tend to be a bit of leeway. Even though there is some proselyting and  judgement here and there if you do or don't believe a certain way,  it's pretty obvious that there are many different paths to take. My family hasn't grabbed onto any particular food or fitness fad with religious fever (well, one brother has, gone the raw route). But church? There is ONE way, one truth. The prospect of perhaps following a different path ... the impact, the angst, the expectations, the emotion. It hurts.

There can be more than one "right" way.

As I look at the different food and fitness options out there, I see that one thing may work wonderfully for one person, but not for another. That there is no "one way" for everyone.  I've got eating issues that would make following some of the food plans out there practically impossible. As much as I can see the success others have had, as much as I think it is good, it doesn't work for me. Yoga brings peace and a beautiful body, and I absolutely admire that. It makes me feel awkward and uncomfortable and a bit depressed that I can't seem to feel what others so obviously enjoy.  So I don't do it, and that's ok. I don't feel condemned over these choices.

 Explaining. Pondering. Struggling.






6 comments:

  1. I've made his point on my blog so many times. Don't knock any one method...what works for me won't work for the next person!!!! Great reminder...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen! I'm Julie, and I blog at Grace, Lace,and Iron. I think we have a lot in common. :) I look forward to reading! #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking out loud is very important! It's frustrating when you want something that works for other people to work for you too. I'm sure your comfortable way is out there!! #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned people's goals and achievements can vary like the grains of sand so when I train my clients, I have to make sure I'm helping them reach THEIR goals. #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyone's path is their own path. This applies to food, fitness and YES your Faith. #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your post, babe. Your views mirror my own. Of all the life parallels I've experienced, the Faith / Fitness parallel has been the most stark of all of them. It has cemented in my mind that we are all so different that it is naive of me to assert that there is "one way" for much of anything. Do it your way. Love you

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...