Wednesday, June 11, 2014

FREE Zumba in Utah


 Spotlighting FREE Zumba Classes in Utah.
 (West Jordan, Kearns, Draper, Sandy Areas)

If you are on Facebook, LIKE the Free Zumba in Utah page for updates!
Check out the my monthly Zumba Stats/Reviews posts too.

I still consider myself "new" to Zumba. I only started in January of 2014. Even in my limited experience, I've attended many different classes, at various locations, with a variety of instructors (and yes, these are certified Zumba instructors!) I've been to a few pay classes, but overall, I hit the free ones. Is this because I'm cheap? Well ... yes. But it's also because here in Utah, there seem to be SO many wonderful women  willing to share their time and talent. Monday-Friday, I'm aware of free classes close by, some days I have multiple options. I thought I'd share some of my findings for anyone in my area who might be interested. 

Look at all your options!
*** Updated May2016 ***
CIA stands for Community in Action ... and it's a group on Facebook.  If you are on Facebook, and you like Zumba, I'd recommend you join. It's a good community to follow, and ask questions. 
 
I'll give a quick review of the classes I've attended include a link to Facebook pages (which I have found is the best way to stay in touch and up to date).

  • MZL: This group provides several free classes in different locations. Their Facebook page has  many clips of songs/steps. I've attended their class in West Jordan and Kearns. It's a HUGE group (which is good for just getting lost in the crowd if  you are new). They generally have several instructors on stage, which is nice for seeing variations in the moves. It's loud and crazy and generally a lot of fun.
  • SouthZiders: This group meets in Draper in Mondays/Wednesdays at 9:30. The main instructor is Nina, and she has the moves and a huge smile! A nice big gym and they even open up the nursery room if you need to bring young children along.
  • KIKZ (Kicken It Kearns Zumba): This group meets EARLY Mondays/Wednesdays (at 5:30!) ... I haven't hit one of those classes yet, but they had a Saturday session that I went to, and it was good. Some new numbers, some I was familiar with from my other classes.  Join their Facebook group for updates ...
  • Heather Jones: I discovered this group when I needed (yes needed!) a Friday class. MZL does meet, but the time didn't work out for me. Heather's class starts just a bit later (10:00 on Fridays). It's a bit further for me (in Sandy), but worth the drive. Not as much overlap with my other classes, these were mainly new songs/steps. Heather is fun and bouncy and has a good group going and welcomes women to come join in. **This class in cancelled now.
  • Claudia & Co: Claudia teaches at various gyms but gives of her time and talent on Thursdays at a church in West Jordan (MountainView in the chart below).  She is a joy to watch! She switches off with a few other instructors. I haven't missed a Thursday since I started going there ...
  • Marian's Class: This was the one that started it all for me (Tuesdays at 8:45 in West Jordan. CIA page below has address and details). It was close, convenient and free. So even though I had never been to a Zumba class before, and knew I couldn't dance, and that I wasn't really a social exerciser ... I felt like I should give it a try. I wasn't sold after the first class, but after coming back, and starting to learn the steps, well ... you can see what has happened!
  • Dancing With Debbie in Daybreak:  Debbie is offering three classes at week. Mondays at 9:00 pm, Wednesdays at 8:30 in the evening, and Friday mornings at 9:00. At the LDS church located at 4517 W Mille Lacs Dr (about 10660 south).
  • CIA (Community In Action): This Facebook group keeps track of a lot of the groups and free classes (they provide the chart shown up top). Many instructors post updates there. It's a great resource.


There are additional classes mentioned that I haven't been to (a little too far for me to venture, and I do have so many right close to me). I'm sure there are oodles of others I'm unaware of... the LDS community fosters it here in Utah I think. Providing good gyms (local churches) and encouraging service.  I've joined a couple other local exercise groups on Facebook (see a list here) and have my eye on some additional classes nearby that I might try (although I AM pretty set at this point! Some days I have three different options and I have a hard time choosing which one to attend).  

I realize this is a pretty specific post to MY area ... I am really curious to know if other states and locations have as many (or any) free Zumba classes going on. When I first was looking for more, I checked out the search feature on Zumba.com ... but it just didn't give much information (if there was a charge, how much, other restrictions). I inquired about some classes listed, only to find out the information there was outdated. I know most local gyms offer Zumba, but they often require a  membership (I've got a complete home gym in my basement, so I don't really want to pay to join a gym for classes). Those that do allow you to drop-in can be a little pricey, especially if someone was to go every day, like I have been doing. While I do like getting to know the steps and songs (a benefit of sticking with one class/instructor), it's also fun to have a variety. Each one is a little different and has something to offer. Some offer a Polynesian flair, others have a Latino groove, some move with grace, others with personality ... and I'm a white lady who can't dance but just loves it. 

The majority of these free classes are in the mornings. Get the kids off to school and come out. If you have younger children, most of the classes are fine with them coming along. There often are kids running around during these free classes. I haven't found as many evening/weekend free classes ... keeping my eye out (let me know in the comments if there are some in my area!)

Is the quality any less because they are free? As I mentioned, I have only attended one paid class so far (I do think I'll hit some others, I'll do a future spotlight on those if I go to enough to warrant it). It was really good, but I do think my free classes are just as good. I track my steps and calorie burn with my Fitbit and HRM every class, and post the numbers to a Facebook album (ZumbaStats). A lot of YOUR results are what YOU bring to class.

And to you instructors out there offering free classes ... thank you!  If you have a class, feel free to put any information/links in the comments. If I do try any additional classes I'll update this page and a Facebook page (Free Zumba In Utah) and keep it current for reference *Ü*







13 comments:

  1. I love love love Zumba!! Our instructors do videos on you-tube so you can do them at home or learn the moves before you go! I love it!! You should check them out it's chakaboomfitness.com Or you can search chakaboomfitness on youtube!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been compiling a YouTube playlist (I did on hour on Saturday in my basement) and I do have a number from Chakaboom! Fun to know they are your actual instructors! :)

      Delete
  2. I love Zumba! Thanks for sharing this great resource for free classes on the #wowlinkup !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a die hard EMZ fan! It's at 5:30 AM! Check it out. Mon - Fri#Friday's sometimes special guest Instructors teach with our Amazing EMZ Instructors. I promise Jen it's worth the drive and waking up early! Come check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes ... I see you on the CIA listing and see you have a Facebook group too (very nice for updates!) I'm not sure I'm ever going to get up QUITE that early (and I have some driving anxiety, especially heading more downtown). You must be even more of a die-hard than me. I suppose that time works better for people who have to get to a job (I'm a SAHM with kids in school ... well they were until it just let out!).

      Delete
  4. Hi Jen,
    I just hopped by from #wowlinkup Workout Wednesdays to read your post about Zumba classes in your area. Wow what fun it must be to try a variety of instructors. I have one Zumba class in my neighborhood that meets 3x a week and is lots of fun. Good luck with your journey! All the best, Deborah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm generally one who likes consistency and sameness ... I'm a little surprised that I've been seeking out more classes and wanting to experience more instructors to see the differences in how they teach. That said, I do still love my original class, the songs I am most familiar with (it only meets the one time a week, although sometimes she pops in and helps out and some of the others too). Just tried another new one this past week!

      Delete
  5. I see you are serious about this Zumba thing!!!!! Ilove the music!
    #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sooo...I never tried Zumba. I'm not much of a class person. But I might have to try it after seeing that there might be a free possibility! #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can always find a Groupon for a series of Zumba classes but I think it would difficult to find free ones in Chicago. Visiting from the wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see one Groupon and it was a pretty good deal, but a little further than I like to travel. And since I'm so spoiled with all my free options, I'll probably just stick with these. I have figured this "free" trend was quite related to our area, but I've wondered if there are other free offerings around. I have not heard back much feedback on that. I'm feeling lucky to live here! :)

      Delete
  8. I'm very uncoordinated, but all the girls in my online fit club LOVE Zumba, so I feel like I will break down and try it sometime soon. It's awesome that you have so many free Zumba options!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so NOT a dancer, I've always been aware of it as a limitation (I was involved in musical theater when I was young and the dancing was always such a challenge and I'd be so self-conscious). It took SO much for me to finally take the step and try Zumba. And I wasn't hooked the first time. If it hadn't been free, I know I would have given up on it. Now I am looking to at some classes that I'll have to pay for, but I still want more :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...