Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Walker Tracker

I've been a pedometer person for about eight years. Ever since I first lost weight back in 2006. I kept my daily numbers in a handy-dandy excel file. At the end of 2008 ... I discovered Walker Tracker.

Walker Tracker is basically just a website where people can enter their step numbers. The site has cool graphs and can foster a lot of social interaction.  When I first joined, December of 2008, it was extremely motivating to me. I made many online friends, participated in challenges and my steps reflected that. 

Things change over the years, as they always seem to do. In 2010, I got my Fitbit. On Walker Tracker, I had to enter the numbers from my Omron pedometer manually. With the Fitbit, everything was automatically updated. Fitbit was SO easy. One of the things I loved about Walker Tracker were the many graphs, but Fitbit had some cool (and similar) graphs as well. The Fitbit site also ranked you against your friends for competition and comparison. I found myself drifting a bit from Walker Tracker, even though Fitbit never really had the same level of social interaction that WT did. I have many Fitbit "friends" but I  have never really exchanged any conversation with most of them. I was very social on MFP when I joined that last year (but again, drifting ... although still tracking my food every day). I've been tracking activities on Daily Mile too. How many trackers and social sites does one need/want ... or can one even keep up with?

There were a few times I gave up on Walker Tracker. I still had my excel file. I had my Fitbit graphs. I'd get behind making my entries and then feel overwhelmed when I'd try to catch up. Yet ... I would. I came back to Walker Tracker every time. Why can't I just make a break?

I do LOVE Walker Tracker's graphs ... and I have my information there from December of 2008. I am a numbers gal, and I do love to look at my trends, especially over YEARS. This next graph is looong, but the information in it is so valuable to me ... I KNOW I faltered in my exercise and activity at the end of 2012, and the start of 2013, but these numbers really shine a spotlight on the drop!

I could come up with these numbers on my own (my monthly total steps, and my average) but I just don't know if I would get around to adding it up myself. Here on WT, I enter my stats everyday (or catch up at the end of the week) and then it calculates these numbers for me. It's interesting to compare year to year, watch for trends in certain months, etc.

 I had been VERY behind in my Walker Tracker entries. It's June now, and I had only entered through April ... nothing since then. I decided to get caught up ...
 I'm looking pretty good for June ... Over goal as of now.
(I was sick in December - I'll be happy when that dip is gone from graphs!)



I have used the graphs in my monthly updates here on the blog.




I like this "Day of the Week" focus too. It's interesting to see visually how your days average out as far as your activity. Sunday is my slow day, not surprising ... Thursday surprised me, I thought I was a little MORE active the day before official weigh-in! I have been doing a lot better on Fridays/Saturdays since I started doing Zumba on those days too.

I think there is a beta program in the works, that will automatically sync with Fitbit (as mentioned, I haven't been very active on the WT site to keep up with what new things are happening) ... which would save me the time of the manual entry. As of now, I actually still use my Omron numbers (yes, I still wear my Omron pedometer too. I like that it gives me "aerobic step" numbers, something that Fitbit actually doesn't do, but that is a separate number that Walker Tracker keeps track of. It's interesting to see how many of my steps are from "exercise" and how many come from regular daily activity.

Just thought I'd give a little shout out to Walker Tracker today. The tracking program I can't quite give up on. Maybe some of you out there might like to try it out. Linking up with WOW and the Hump Day Blog Hop.

11 comments:

  1. WOW hats awesome girl!!! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How on earth do you find these gadgets? I have never heard of this. #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember where I originally heard about WT, but that's why I like to shout out and share the programs that have helped me with others, in case anyone else is interested in trying them out. There are SO many sites, gadgets, apps it's really hard to know which ones might work for you ...

      Delete
  3. #WOWLinkup - You have done so great to track your steps for so long. I have a Fitbit and I have been bad about wearing it lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm addicted to my Fitbit, I MUST have it on! Very rare that I forget about it. My 15-year old has done quite well with his, but my 18-year old has struggled. Hubby hasn't quite adapted to it either, but I think we are going to try again :)

      Delete
  4. Great job tracking steps so consistently! I had a Fitbit but it died, but the company just sent a replacement my way so I'm excited to start again. Not sure I can match your step count though! #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess it is not for everyone. A few of clients have lost their Fitbits and need to find them in their homes. Sometimes the simple program is the best on to use especially if one is trying to lose weight. Visiting from #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use Fitbit Flex bracelet and love it and the site doeshelp keep me motivated to get in my steps and miles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen that one but it looks like it works well for you. Great graphs! Confessions of A Mother Runner #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete
  8. Walker Tracker looks really interesting. I probably should do something like this. It would motivate me to outdo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a numbers person so I bet I would like this. I love being able to see how many days in a row I counted calories and things like that with my lose it app. You are so dedicated, and you really encourage me to do more and more.

    Leslie
    www.weight4baby.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...