Wednesday, March 5, 2014

A Farewell To French Tips

After Zumba class, I've been taking off my HRM and Fitbit and snapping a quick photo to keep a picture reference of my stats for each workout. Now looking at the picture collage above ... there is something different in the snapshots on the left vs the ones on the right.  Yes, I appear to be getting a higher calorie burn in the more recent pictures (maybe my skill is improving?), but that's not what I'm pointing out.

It's my nails. Or lack thereof.

I see many people who list a manicure or pedicure as a reward for losing weight.  I'd never had either for the first 30+ years of my life, but after I initially lost the weight almost eight years ago, a pretty pedicure and some cute nails were some of the other "improvements" I added (in addition to a little tanning and highlights in my hair). I enjoyed my french tips for a while, and then I gave them up, as hubby switched jobs and we needed to make some cut backs.

A little over a year ago, as 2012 wound down,  I was at the height of feeling bad about myself. I was at my highest weight in years. I decided to splurge on nails again, whether I "deserved" it or not. I do really like the look of a simple, short french tip. What I don't like however, is the upkeep. I hated the obligation to go in every few weeks. Seriously, I would dread it! I HATE just sitting. Even though I'd take my phone and read my book as I got a fill, I'd get frustrated knowing I had to carve some time out of my day to go in to the salon. And I'm a SAHM with a completely open schedule! Admittedly, I felt a little guilty about the financial aspect too. I decided to go back to natural.

Now I'll admit it ... I'm a nibbler. In fact, it was a problem even with the thick, artificial nails.  I would gnaw on them. I'd often accidentally break off a piece on the edges. I actually do not bite my nails down to the quick, but I have a really hard time keeping them at a decent length. And of course, after having artificial nails for over a year, my poor nails are in horrible shape.  It will take a few months to grow out of the damage ... and while I do really miss my pretty nails (and hubby DOES miss them, he liked them for back scratching) I feel a little more free. Hopefully in the future, you'll be able to see my natural nails in a better, prettier state.

I do think I'll still sneak back to the salon for an occasional pedicure. There's really nothing relaxing about getting your nails done (the initial application or the fills afterward) ... but a pedicure can be nice. I'm more prone to wanting pretty piggies during the summer, when it's sandal season. I do get quite the callouses on my heels ... while I like to have those shaved down, I know there is some controversy surrounding that service. Beyond just the hygienic concerns, the build up is often a protective layer and I have felt some pain in my feet after having my hard heels softened up.

Linking up with Running With Spoons  this Thursday.
What are your thoughts on manis, pedis and artificial nails?

It's been about three weeks since I had my nails removed ... I would have needed to be going in again for a fill, but instead I was able to do an extra hour of exercise (and save $25-30 too). I stopped by a store on the way home from Zumba yesterday and grabbed a couple new (old ... it was a thrift shop *Ü*) pairs of exercise pants. One pair is Lululemon which I picked up for $3. I'm not a "brand" gal but aren't they an expensive one?) They are a little more snug than the ones I had, which were a bit baggy and falling down (that's a good thing, right?) I'll count that as a non-scale victory (as the scale continues to be stuck!) for the NSV LinkUp  this week.


Jen, over at Morning Coffee Confessions is starting a Thankful Thursday linkup too. Yesterday, I read a post at Healthy Diva Eats called "What I Love Wednesday" about being a SAHM. I have been thinking about that a lot lately too. I must admit, at my point in life ... I have it pretty dang easy, and I'm so grateful for it all! For a handsome hubby who is able to support us, so I am able to stay home. For five healthy and wonderful boys. For our home, and my home gym. I'm thankful that even though the scale seems stuck now ... I'm actually at a place where I am feeling good about myself, I feel strong and healthy, not quite to goal, but not overweight either. I really have been thinking about all the things I should be (and AM) thankful for, so this new linkup comes at a good time :)

Have a great Thursday everyone!

12 comments:

  1. I've had acrylic nails for a good 20 years, and can't imagine life without them. HOWEVER, I pay to go to a good manicurist. Not Happy Nails. And you most definitely get what you pay for! I refuse to go to manicurists that use a drill on the TOP of your nail bed. It's dangerous and unhealthy!

    I rarely do pedicures (not even once a year) because my feet are so sensitive. But my manicurists doesn't shave down callouses. They use abrasive scrubs, and a rough brush, but never cutting or shaving. I don't know if that's even legal here in CA.

    Cutting out my every 2 weeks manicure/fills will be the LAST 'splurge' I ever cut. It means that much to me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone deserves a spurge - a non-eating splurge is the way to go. I think I've glimpsed your nails in a picture. I do notice them in others. They are so pretty. It's just so hard for me to stop and SIT ...

      Delete
  2. I did the fake nails, but got rid of them over a 1 1/2 years ago. I still get mani/peds but keep everything natural. I don't like polish on my finger nails but love to see blinding colors on my piggies. *GRIN*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was always boring on my fingernails (just the basic french tip) and I'm pretty boring on my piggies too. Right now I have a gray with a bit of glitter ... but I rarely do bright colors myself, although I like it on other people!

      Delete
  3. I have never had acrylic nails, I am lucky I received great strong nails from my Dad. I use to polish when I was younger, not anymore! As Running Stitches stated, love my toes tho, got to cover those ugly pigs with polish. It is nice to meet and follow you via
    Jen, over at Morning Coffee Confessions. Keep up your great progress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those nails would break immediately with the job I have. They are pretty though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jen thank you so much for the shout out, I really appreciate it :)

    I also used to get my nails done all the time, but since having kids I was never able to find the time to take for myself...but as the kids get older, I know that will change and mani's and pedi's will be mine again! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never had my nails done! Mine just break off and I've never been able to grow them long. Never. So sad. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't like sitting through manicures either. I had the nails put on once years ago and they annoyed me. I just picked at them until they were gone. I like just having a nice natural looking polish. I feel bad spending the money too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man...I used to have such a bad problem with nail biting, I totally get wanting to have pretty nails. I have had acrylics for special occasions, but I'm with you, I can't sit that long. I used to use this stuff called OPI nail envy, it was a clear nail strengthener - it really worked! You might check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check out that OPI stuff. I had a Sally Hansen "Thicken Up" that I liked, but after sitting for over a year (while I had the acrylics on) it HAS thickened up and isn't good anymore. I need something new to put on them to try and help them out a little!

      Delete
  9. Definitely counts as an NSV! Great job getting some extra time in at the gym too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...