Thursday, March 27, 2014

TOM Troubles

When I was a teen, that "time of the month" was a misnomer. I'd go months in-between periods, and that was okay! When I got married, I went on birth control pills and then I did get the monthly visit from Flo. I wasn't sure if my irregular cycles were going to make getting pregnant difficult, but after a year or so of marriage, I stopped the pill and we let nature take her course. I went back to irregularity, which was a little more complicated now that I "could" be pregnant. I never was. We did end up needing a little help and eventually had our first baby.  After our fifth child, I had an IUD inserted. With that, my TOM time has been pretty regular these past several years. Now I know that so many women have killer cramps or major PMS, so I should count myself lucky that I have it pretty mild. Still ... I HATE that time of the month.

I. Hate. It.

Last Friday, I was a little frustrated when I got an early, surprise visit. Seriously. It's only been a little over two weeks since I dealt with this last. And it came on fast ... let's just say I'm happy I was at home jogging on my treadmill, not at the gym. It's almost a week later and it's still going. Usually it's just a 3-4 day thing. I'm done ... but it's not. And cravings? Not normally something I notice, but I'm just wanting to eat all the things today.

Just a very off day today. I didn't get in my morning elliptical. I was just about to start when the power went out. Now, the elliptical doesn't plug in, so I could have gotten it in still (without my show to entertain me) but I spent that time rounding up flashlights and prepping lunches in the dark. I still went to Zumba, but it was really off today too. I could not get my heart rate up at all ... my PolarHRM credited me 211 calories for an hour of Zumba (Fitbit said 369, 6650 steps). I know I wasn't as into it (not my favorite songs/instructors, some kids running around like crazy) but still. Gotta try and shake it off. A lot of it is TOM's fault ...

This period has totally brought me down this week. I think I mentally brace myself for it, and as it was so early, I wasn't in the mindframe to deal with it. Who knows, there was some other stuff going on too, but I like to blame TOM. I'm getting older ... sometime in the near future I may not need to worry about TOM anymore. I won't miss it at all.

TMI today? 
It is Thursday, and Thursday's are for Thinking Out Loud.
Perhaps I shouldn't think TOO loudly though. 
It's TOM's fault.


3 comments:

  1. The joys of being a woman, eh? I can definitely relate to how annoying that time of the month can be, but after losing my period for years thanks to my bout with an ED and having to fight to get it back, it's a gift that I've learned not to take for granted. Just don't ask me to admit that when I'm dealing with PMS lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your issues with the cursed monthly ick! Keep your chin up....and I'm soooo looking forward to being 'old enough' to have that go away once and for all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh! Not fun!
    I had a hysterectomy when I was in my mid 30's after a lifetime of issues and I could not be happier about not having TOM issues. Yuck...I am so sorry! Maybe you should look into some homeopathic stuff to help you out...there is lots of stuff out there.
    Hopefully it will get better for you and no, never TMI - We have all been there in one way or another!
    Have a great day and thanks for linking up for Finish Line Friday!
    Hope to see you again!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...