Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A Zumba Instructor?

"You love Zumba, have you thought about becoming an instructor?"  I have been asked that a few times, and while I'll never say never, I really don't think it's in the cards for me.

It's not that I'm uncomfortable up on a stage. I practically LIVED on stage throughout my teenage years (high school and local theater). I could sing in front of large audiences without batting an eye. But my skills were limited to singing and acting ... dance was always out of my comfort zone.  

Today at Zumba ... I got pulled up on the stage to be one of the "backup dancers".  Now, I've done it before at my Monday class. I'll even lead a song at the Tuesday class. But those were songs/steps I KNEW and had practiced. The Wednesday class is HUGE, and more intimidating, and I didn't know what songs were coming up. It went fine, but I think I'm more comfortable down among the masses just following along. 

I know several Zumba instructors that started in exactly that way. Coming up on the stage to help, leading a number here and there. But I doubt that will ever be me, for many reasons ...
  • MEMORIZATION: I don't know why I have such a hard time remembering steps! I have a few songs that I feel like I know, and most others I can follow along quite well, but I definitely need to be following an instructor's lead! There are generally around 14-16 songs for an hour of Zumba ... I don't know if I'd ever be able to master that many! And most instructors are pulling from a playlist of SO many more songs and are constantly adding new ones into the mix. I don't know how they keep them all straight! I do think the fact that the songs are in Spanish does impact me. I feel like I pick up the steps on pop songs easier.
  • MOVES: I can eventually learn most steps, but there are certain moves (anything with the hips, a body roll, anything too flowery with the arms) that I just can NOT master. Even the choreography I do have down, I don't have the "flow" that some of the instructors do. It's just pleasurable to watch some people dance ... not me! I'm more athletic than graceful.
  • MONEY: It costs a bit of money to be a Zumba instructor! You have to pay to take a class to get certified, and then I believe there is a monthly fee as well to stay "active". You CAN earn money as an instructor, but I don't know that I'd be able to recoup the costs.
  • MOBILITY: Most instructors travel around to teach various places ... I have anxiety issues driving in the unknown, or at night, or on the freeway. I've expanded my Zumba travels to where I'm driving 15-20 minutes for a couple of my classes, and that has been a pretty big deal. I know many instructors teach at various locations, many beyond where I'd dare drive.
  • MOTIVATION: Once you become a Zumba instructor, jobs don't just fall in your lap, you have to go after and earn them.  You would have to advertise yourself . Many of the free classes offered are to build up a reputation. I DO love my Zumba classes, and many people think I'm crazy for doing it five days a week. As an instructor ... they do even more! I very rarely am not in the mood for Zumba, but it's still nice having it be MY choice, not a commitment or a job. 
 ...  So many of the instructors will yell or whoop to encourage their students. I'm very quiet. Most instructors wear the cute, bright (tight) Zumba clothes ... I'm only comfortable in baggy and black. But you know? It's okay! I'm happy being a follower. Just being part of the crowd. I'll be willing to help out on stage here and there, but I don't crave the spotlight (like I used to ... just NOT dancing!) I'm just so happy to have gotten to where I am. I never thought I'd fall in love with Zumba, so I'll never say never. I sure do admire all the instructors out there though. Thanks for all you do!

Linking up with Workout Wednesday and Fitness Blondie.

2 comments:

  1. I totally feel you. I like zumba too but I'm not sure I would ever be a zumba instructor. It's totally ok to just enjoy the classes :) #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog ate my comment!! LOL Enjoy life, YOLO and if you enjoy being in the class vs. instructing the class - COOL. Do what makes you feel comfortable. #wowlinkup

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...