Saturday, April 5, 2014

Coffee Date Link Up


I love link-ups. They are a great way to connect with other bloggers out there. I have been following Jill and Nikki for a while, and they've both done these "coffee date" posts every so often. Just random thoughts, things you'd talk about if you were meeting a girlfriend for coffee.

I never did a "virtual coffee date" before ... and when the linkup was first talked about, I wasn't sure if I would participate. A couple of reasons. First ... I don't drink coffee. That's a silly reason, right?  Admittedly, I have never actually tried it. I'm a really picky eater, even more so when it comes to drinking. But I DO love hot chocolate, so if you don't mind that I'm nursing that while you sip your coffee, then I suppose I could join in.

My other drawback ...meeting a girlfriend for a coffee date is a foreign idea. I was really social through high school and college. I had great girlfriends and I'm still in touch with them; Facebook friends, the occasional email... but we don't actually get together and talk.  In these past many married years, I'm actually quite anti-social.  I've become a bit of a recluse. I'm a homebody. A few years ago I did connect with another mom. We had kids the same ages and we'd get the kids together for a playdate and she and I could talk for hours. It really was a new experience for me. I liked it and looked forward to our conversations. But she has since moved and I've reverted to my reclusive ways. 

But, if we did connect over coffee ... I'd probably be hesitant to talk. I've been so emotional lately and I don't know why. I tear up easily and with little or no provocation. I sobbed over Scandal and The Good Wife a couple episodes ago (they were emotional ones!) A song came on at Zumba last Thursday, it brought back bad, heartbreaking, memories and I had a hard time shaking it. The song "Say Something" doesn't have any personal meaning to me, but it just sounds so melancholy. My life is actually going great, I'm not sure why I've been so emotionally on edge!

If we met for coffee ... I'd mention that the guys (hubby and the two oldest) just left for New York for a week. I was invited of course, but as mentioned above, I'm a homebody. Just the simple thought of NYC is enough to induce extreme anxiety. Ah anxiety issues ...

If we met for coffee ... I bet I'd bring up Zumba. It's been a bit of an obsession of late, which is really funny because I can't dance at all. I just bought some new shoes for Zumba ... I'm not sure if I like them though. My Zumba experience is still so limited, I wonder what other classes are like. If YOU were a Zumba-er, I'd probably ask you a lot of questions.

If we met for coffee ... we'd probably talk about books and TV shows that we are enjoying. It's been great getting back into reading (I go through cycles). I love getting emails from my "book deals" and picking up free digital books or something on sale. I'm currently reading "Cress" on the Nook app (a friend is "sharing" her bookshelf with me, and I bought "Cress" for her for her birthday, as we've both enjoyed the first two books in the series). I do prefer the Kindle app though, much more user friendly! I'm sad "The Walking Dead" wrapped up for the season. Game of Thrones is going to start and after how it ended last season (and how emotional I've been) I'm just not sure I'm up for it! I've been enjoying "The Voice" but I'm not sure I'll keep watching after the battle rounds end. As mentioned above, Scandal and The Good Wife totally grabbed me lately! I'm watching "The Sarah Conner Chronicles" when I don't have new shows to watch ... it's fine, but I'm already thinking about what to watch next. 

If we met for coffee ... I'm sure I'd end up talking about the kids. #1 is graduating and needs to make decisions about college. I feel like a bad mom, I'm just not sure what I'm supposed to be doing to help. I feel quite lost. #2 has basketball stuff coming up ... again, I'm not sure what I need to do to make sure he's getting all the opportunities he can. I worry about #3 and his constant negativity. With spring storms around the corner, is #4 going to have a relapse with his weather phobia? Luckily #5 is easy as pie ... actually they all are. I've got great kids and I'm very lucky!

Hopefully I didn't dominate the conversation. I hope I listened too ... I'll do some "blog listening" and go visit some of the other links in the virtual coffee date link up. The link up is open all month long, so if you want to join in, you have plenty of time. What would you talk about if we met for coffee?

See you again next month?





11 comments:

  1. See you next month. According to Myers-Briggs I am a ESTJ (extrovert, sensing, thinking and judging) individual. That makes me LOUD and constantly out and about. LOL! Couldn't you tell from my blog? So if you were laid back, cool and chilling just listening - I'd give you something to listen to. I tend to be able to draw out the recluse. Don't know - been good at that. #1 is going to college? I would probably inquire about how much college is going for these days since I have 2 up and coming in about 6 and 11 years. BOY how times fly. See you next month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's actually looking at the same school I went to, one of the cheaper ones. Still $$$. Even though I am a lot quieter now, I can be chatty in the right setting, that's when I need to make sure I don't talk too much!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for linking up today! And no, you definitely don't have to drink coffee on a coffee date! Tea, water, hot chocolate...just some kind of beverage. :) I love Zumba, but haven't done it for a long time. I was really into it for a while and knew all the routines. I'll have to try it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to meet you on our first coffee date! I go through spurts with reading too. I'll plow through 3 or 4 books in a month and then not read another for 6 months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great coffee date! If the Good Wife episode is the one I'm thinking of, then crying is totally understandable! I can tend to be very ant-social too if I let myself and really have to make an effort. It's scary but I think it's worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a complete shocker on The Good Wife ... it's Monday morning now and I was looking forward to my episode, but it doesn't look like it was on last night :( (I'm still sad about Will by the way!)

      Delete
  5. I'm so happy you decided to meet me for coffee!

    I will talk enough for the both of us. So much so you will start talking just to shut me up :) I would ask you 100 questions about Zumba. It's been on my to-try list forever! I watch very little TV but I'm happy to talk about books.

    I look forward to getting together again :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a really great idea and might even manage to get me blogging again! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a cute idea isn't it ... I really wasn't even planning on participating, but the I started writing and the words were just flowing. The link up is open for a month, so give it a try! I'll look and see if you did! :)

      Delete
  7. I really do love this idea! You're not the first in this link up that I've happened to stumble upon this weekend, either! I may have to join in on this one! How FUN!

    On that note, Jen, I must say, it seems we may have quite a bit in common. . . The mere thought of the city IS anxiety-inducing! I, too, am a homebody who used to be a social butterfly, of sorts, & I have been unusually emotional & weepy lately. . . Crying at the drop of a hat for silly reasons, sometimes! And, frankly, the last few episodes of "Scandal" HAVE been pretty intense!

    Anyway, thank you for meeting up (&, no, I don't mind that you're sipping hot chocolate instead -- that leaves more coffee for ME!) :D I look forward to "connecting" with you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've managed to visit quite a few in the link-up. It's a fun one. I for one hope to get over this emotional ride, but I'm pretty happy being a homebody. :) The "virtual" coffee dates are good for homebodies!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...