Friday, April 11, 2014

WWI#39 & Five Favorite Musicals

Time for my weekly recap and weigh-in.
Followed by the Friday Five.
Favorite musicals is the topic today ...
Keeping with the New York City/Broadway theme of this week.

Well, at least today's weigh-in is under 150. First time all week. I think the word of the week is consistent. Not a lot of ups and downs, just very slight variations. Intake was up a little, averaging 2357. I didn't have any huge big days, but also didn't have any low days either. Average burn was up a bit at 2915.  According to my numbers I had a deficit for the week of 3245. I am down .7 from last Friday, but the average for the week is up slightly. High was Monday morning at 152.8. Low is today's weigh-in at 149.8.

Things have been pretty much normal here, even with Hubs and the two older boys gone (see yesterday's post for pictures of their NYC trip). Here at home, I still had to get up and make lunches, get the little ones off to school. Carpools, scouts, basketball. The weather has been so nice ... the sun has called me outside for a bit each day. That impacted workouts a little. My morning wake-ups were the usual, although I  did stay up later most nights, without hubby home to coax me to come to bed. I didn't get in any of my uber-late workouts like I sometimes do when he is gone.As always, if you want more details, check out my Day to Day Doings.

I felt like it was a good week. Consistency is good. Next week is our Spring Break (kids out of school Thurs/Fri/Mon) and the Easter holiday coming up. Also some school stuff on the schedule. That might throw the routine off just a bit. Come back and see how I do ...

Linking up with Fitness FridayFollow Through Friday & Finish Line Friday.



As I mentioned in yesterday's post ... Hubby and company (my two oldest, my MIL, my BIL and his family) went to a Broadway performance of Les Miserables yesterday. I LOVE LesMiz. I discovered it when I was a teen. I had all the music memorized. My brother surprised me with tickets as the Broadway tour came locally. Since then, I've seen it a few more times. Another Broadway tour ... an outdoor performance at Tuachan, an intimate performance at Hale Theater (in the round) and of course the recent movie. Les Miserables is probably my all time favorite musical.


I have been IN many musicals: Annie, The Wizard of Oz, Oklahoma, 42nd Street, The Sound of Music. Performing in a show will always make it near and dear. I like the classics: Fiddler on the Roof,  Man of LaMancha, Bye Bye Birdie, South Pacific, Music Man. Then there are others, with music that just captures me; Phantom of the Opera, Big River ... I have some favorite songs from shows I haven't yet seen (i.e., "Only He" from Starlight Express). Hubby and I saw Wicked a couple years ago. That is a "popular" one right now ... *Ü*

But if I were to choose FIVE favorites, 
in addition to Les Miserables they would be ...

  • Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat: I have seen over a dozen different productions of this musical. It's amazing how I see something new in each one.  I've seen high school productions, community productions, Broadway tours ... and as mentioned above with LesMiz, both Hale Theater and Tuachan have put it on as well.
  • Pirates of Penzance: Although I have seen several live productions of this musical, I LOVE the movie version. Kevin Kline, Angela Lansbury, Linda Ronstadt all do such a great job. Another benefit of the DVD version is subtitles! It's so hard to catch everything in a live performance.
  • Seven Brides for Seven Brothers: I really like the story and music here ... it's a show I would have loved to be IN, but figured I never would make it because all the girls in it dance. I'm not a dancer. I remember seeing this up at Sundance ... the "Lonesome Polecat" song was done off the stage, in the woods ... I've always remembered that. I love men singing harmonies...
  • The Slipper and the Rose: I haven't seen this musical on stage ... I don't even know if it has been performed on stage or if it is simply a movie. A family I used to babysit had this video. I loved it SO much. When it was released on DVD some years ago I was thrilled to be able to finally get my own copy. I love the music and the retelling of the Cinderella story.

Do you like musicals? 
What are a few of your favorites?

Linking up with FIVE Friday Five/Favorites linkups *Ü* ... Five on Friday at Hello Happiness, Friday Five at Eat Pray Run, Friday Favorites at Running4Cupcakes,  Friday Favorites at Housewife Glamour,  High Five Friday at LaurenElizabeth  ... check them out and add YOUR own Friday Five!

18 comments:

  1. Seven brides is one of my favorites!!!

    Good luck with next week when the schedule is off kilter!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have to get after hubby a bit for pulling the two boys out of school right before Spring Break! They come home from vacation and THEN have no school. They are going to have a lot of makeup stuff, so hopefully they can get some done over break :)

      Delete
  2. Yes, yes, and more yes. I am a musical girl and have seen all of those lol. My friends and I used to act out Seven Brides when we were little. My all time favorite is Bye Bye Birdie though. Seen it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen Bye Bye Birdie a few times. I remember a community theater production of it, and the "Telephone Hour" song was SO well done. Make a definite impact in my memory. I ended up performing in just that song in a song/dance group in college. "One Boy" is a favorite song from that musical too. I wasn't quite sure how I felt about the movie version ... Jason Alexander will always be George Costanza to me!

      Delete
  3. I enjoy a good musical!! my fav is typical Sound of Music, also Cinderella (animated), and Hairspray both versions...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was Sister Margaretta in Sound of Music in college. That was the last show I ever did. I was Cinderella once too, it was a different version (not even the usual stage version). I've only seen the movie of Hairspray ... that's another I never would have made, LOTS of dancing! Thanks for responding, I really am interested in hearing which shows make the list for others out there :)

      Delete
  4. I am going to see West Side Story in a few months - really looking forward to that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting ... see, that's one I left off my list but have seen several times. Another one I couldn't really be in, the dancing, and the blondness would be a problem. But stand in front of the mirror and sing "I feel pretty!". At Zumba the other day, there was a "dance off" type song that totally reminded me of the rival gangs dancing in West Side Story :)

      Delete
  5. I checked out the pictures on yesterday's post and it looks like your boys are having a good time! I love Broadway musicals too! Rent, 42nd St, showboat, and Jesus Christ Super star are among my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rent ... I forgot to mention that. I've only seen the movie version, but several of the songs REALLY impacted me. I haven't seen Jesus Christ Superstar, but I love the song "I don't know how to love him ..."

      Delete
  6. Les mis is the nole one from your list I've seen. I clearly have a lot more I need to see! I have tickets for the Lion King later this year so that's a start :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well at least you've seen the most important one! :)

      Delete
  7. Hi Jen, it's fun to see your favorites. I personally have watched Grease and Hairspray countless times. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Grease ... that is a classic. I LOVE the movie, Olivia-Newton John is just so cute. It's generally frowned upon for a high school production (parents may object to content ... which is SO ironic considering my sophomore year we put on Gypsy! Let me entertain you stripper style!) but my senior year some friends and I put on a music showcase and performed the song "Summer Nights" ... I wasn't Sandy though, just one of the other gals.

      Delete
  8. I've never heard of Pirates of Penzance or The Slipper and the Rose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not at all surprised about Slipper and the Rose, that one isn't well known. Pirates has a bit wider reach, but isn't as well known as many of the others.

      Delete
  9. I'm a total musical lover and grew up going to shows all the time! I saw Joseph on broadway when i was a kid and never forgot it - I think I still have it all memorized!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have LesMis and Joseph memorized ... ok, maybe not enough to actually sing the entire thing word for word, but I can definitely sing along without missing much. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...