Monday, February 17, 2014

My Cardio Collection

I'm a lucky gal. I actually enjoy exercising indoors and I have a home gym with which to do so. I have NO excuses! We started with just a treadmill, then got a bike, then an elliptical. We switched out the upright bike for the recumbent one we now how (pictured above). We do have a full weight set in J&G's gym as well, but the topic of today's Motivation Monday is "Favorite Cardio" ... so I'll stick with that today.

My go to cardio is the elliptical ... it's just the "easiest". Now when I say that, I don't mean it is easy, as in it's not a workout. It is. I sweat. But it doesn't require much (if any) prep. I hop on the elliptical for a quick 20 minute session several times each day. I don't bother putting on my HRM (I have a few times, enough to know that my machine is overestimating, and the Fitbit is a bit too) or even stop to put on shoes ... I wear slippers on my elliptical. I am usually in my workout wear (sports bra, comfy pants/shirt, etc.) but even if I'm wearing normal clothes, I could get in a quick workout without having to change.

I also wear slippers on my stationary bike ... but it does take a bit of prep to get ready for a ride on it. I move my Fitbit from my bra to my sock. This means I had to stop and put on socks, as I normally do NOT have socks on. I move my Omron pedometer to my sock as well, and I do usually set the timer on my Fitbit. I'll often put on a HRM for my bike rides, and I need to make sure my Ipod is ready to go (for reading or watching a show). I wear slippers on my bike too. I usually go for 30 minutes (8miles) although I have been known to go further at times. The HRM gives me what I believe to be the most accurate reading for my calorie count (about 160 for said 30min/8mile ride). The bike usually says about 200, and the Fitbit overcalculates (often  300+) so in addition to prep before the ride, I always need to go in and correct the burn on Fitbit.

The treadmill gives me the most bang for my buck IF I'm jogging or upping the incline. Some days I just don't feel up to that, and I use it for just walking as well (while watching a show on the TV in my gym). I know many dislike the "dreadmill" but I really like knowing my exact speed (makes intervals easier) and distance, and being in control of the incline.

Those are my three go-to cardio exercises. For quite a while, I've been hitting all three many days each week. I keep track of each with a "streaks" calendar and report in at the end of the month. 

I do enjoy other cardio activities. Several years ago, I joined a meet-up group for some pick-up soccer games. That was SO much fun! Hubby and I used to play racquetball quite often. I really miss racquetball and would like to get back to doing that! In a Throwback Thursday post, I mentioned going ice skating at the Olympic Oval. That was a fun workout! I have started going to a Zumba class on Tuesdays, and while I originally wasn't a huge fan, I've continued to go back and look forward to it each week. I bought the Wii Zumba and have tried that a few times at home. I have a few cardio DVDs & Youtube videos as well.


Last Thursday was a "completely cardio" day for me. I hit four different 30 minute sessions of my various cardio exercises. 2.5 miles on the treadmill, 8 miles on the bike, 6 miles on the elliptical and some Zumba with the wii. It was interesting to do four different cardio workouts, all of the same length and then compare how I felt upon finishing the workout and contrast the calorie estimates (Fitbit estimates shown above, I did wear my HRM for everything as well, it was actually quite close on most of these. As the Fitbit calculates "steps" you can see the distance for bike and elliptical are off what the machine readout said).

A quick linkup with Marvelous In My Monday recapping Valentine Weekend ... it was a HORRIBLE weekend. Not anything to do with Valentines, but I did overeat Saturday, hitting my highest calorie intake since I started tracking (you can sneak a peek on my Day to Day Doings or I'll recap the week on Friday). As today is President's Day, it's still "the weekend" and not a normal routine day. I'm SO looking forward to tomorrow and getting back to my routine, getting my Motivated "Monday" (on a Tuesday) back and hitting my favorite cardio (got zumba, elliptical, treadmill and bike on the schedule)!  Linking up with Motivational Monday blog hops  Nikki, Kristy & Barb ...

And of COURSE ... the Motivation Monday team
Tiffany/Morgan/Wendy/Alisha/Betty
JenB/Brandi/Jen/Gwen /Theresa
What is YOUR favorite cardio?






11 comments:

  1. I love spin/RPM that's my favorite cardio and I love sprinting too but I can't do that very often maybe once a week..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you posting about sprinting on your blog ... I can't say I "like" it at ALL, but I do think sprinting is a good cardio challenge! I've never tried spin.

      Delete
  2. That's alot of working out! Good for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It added up to over two hours of cardio ... and I can't even imagine doing that much straight. But when I break it up into smaller 20-30minute workouts, it's just really easy. I just so some stuff around the house, pop down for a workout, do some more stuff, pop down for another workout ... benefit of being a SAHM with a home gym!

      Delete
  3. The elliptical is my favorite cardio workout, especially on days I don't feel like working out, because it's just step on and go. And there's just not much thought process involved, ha ha. Like you said, it is a good workout, but it's not an intimidating workout and can easily be as intense or low-key as you feel like that day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree on the elliptical. Sometimes I look at a JillianDVD or a jog on the treadmill and I just do NOT have it in me, but it takes a lot to say I don't have an elliptical session in me ... I always just make myself do it and I feel fine. Like you said, I can choose to take it easy, or amp it up depending on my mood.

      Delete
  4. I really like working out outside! But I am envious of your gym. What brand of elliptical do you have?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a Nautilus. We've had it for about five years now I think, and I'm generally on it at least an hour a day. It did break once, and we had to invest in a part and repair. It's rather squeaky and clunky at the moment too, I'm hoping it continues to hold. I don't have a lot of experience with what other ellipticals have to offer, I remember there was one (more expensive) that you could change the stride. I've also heard of ones where you can alter the incline. Mine, you can change the resistance, and of course the speed, and that is actually enough to keep it interesting.

      Delete
  5. I really like working out outside! But I am envious of your gym. What brand of elliptical do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! You know, I never thought about moving the fitbit to a different location to work out. I just always keep it on the bra, but I love the idea of putting it on my shoe or sock, when I am on a stationary bike. I honestly am not sure I would have thought of that:) Love it, thanks for the tip!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you shared your favorite and tips. I don't do treadmill for running, because I hated running. I choose fast walking instead. Between treadmill and elliptical, I prefer the elliptical.

    Thanks for hosting another party!
    herweightlossdiary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...