Monday, February 3, 2014

Motivation Monday - It's the Eating

The theme for today's Motivation Monday is "Healthy Treats" ... now admittedly, the "food" portion of this whole "weight loss/be healthy" lifestyle is my challenge. Prior to 2006, both the eating right and the exercise were pretty much non-existent in my life.  Then, it happened. I never actually "dieted" but did have some stress-induced non-eating for a couple weeks. I started walking, then added weights and got down to my goal weight quick and easy. And while exercise became an integral part of my life from then on ... the eating? I've never mastered the eating. So even though I stayed active, the weight crept back on over the years. 

Ah ... the eating. Part of the problem for me is that I'm just SO picky (Eating Issues). Always have been. So as I look through the magazines and blogs and people tout their "healthy" meals, recipes and snacks ...  nothin.  So I'll check out all the offerings and bookmark some to try for the hubs and kids, but 99% of them aren't going to work for me. 

I just have to try to control the calories at least. MFP has been a big help with keeping track of it all. I'm trying to make "healthier" choices and I am doing better than I was before (at least the 30 pound loss since I started my food diary would seem to reflect that).

It was NOT a good weekend though. TOM was visiting with a vengeance and some cravings kicked in. Superbowl Sunday we had our smorgasbord ...steak, chicken, mashed potatoes and Superbowl sugar cookies for dessert.  

NOT a healthy treat! *Ü*
But yummy ... I only make these once a year.
Yes ... weight is UP this morning.
Getting back on track... we'll see how quickly I can reverse the effects.

As far as actual healthy snacks ...
I'm pretty basic. No recipes or anything. I'll usually grab a banana or some grapes. Or these (pictured above) prepared apple slices. Why not just a whole apple? Well, I do keep some of those on hand too, but these "crunch pack" apple slices are just easier to eat, so they get eaten more often. They are a staple in our home. They are great for lunches (they don't brown) and there is less waste (you can just grab a couple slices if that's all you want). Mozzarella cheese is a quick, individually proportioned, easy to grab snack too. I prefer the Babybel, but the kids like the "string" cheese. Many magazines and websites tout the health benefits of chocolate milk after a workout ... I don't indulge in it often, but sometimes it does just hit the spot. My kids are picky, they ONLY like the TruMoo brand (which has less sugar than the other brands, so I guess that's a good thing).  


Link up with the Motivation Monday team
Tiffany/Morgan/Wendy/Alisha/Betty
JenB/Brandi/Jen/Gwen /Theresa
What are YOUR food challenges?
Do you have any healthy treats to share?
Visit the other blogs, and join in yourself! 

... also linking up with some of the many other Monday blog hops out there. 

You don't have to stick with the theme "Healthy Snacks" theme to join in here, but if you wanted a "writer's prompt" so to speak, check out the upcoming topics (here).  Be thinking of your favorite cardio, favorite resistance training, top tips for weight loss, progress pictures, inspirations ... blog hops are a great way to interact with other bloggers on this same journey! The link-up doesn't close for a few more days, so you still have time to join in the fun! *Ü*





11 comments:

  1. I think when it comes to diet, we have to make a choice. If you can eat cookies, waffles, or other treats and maintain a healthy weight (i.e. BMI below 25, low blood pressure, low cholesterol, etc.) then maybe you choose to eat what you like but be at a little higher weight. We both have very similar numbers as you pointed out on Tiffany's FB group: around 150 seems to be our "happy" weight, but our goal weight is 135. This is the decision I'm toying with now. Just my thoughts, and congrats on your weight loss success so far! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Babybel cheese is SO good. I've found cheese fills me up pretty well as a healthy snacking option.

    Personally, I like carbs (probably a little too much) but just eat them in moderation. I'm going through the book and DVD series "Made to Crave" and it's been helping me to make healthy food choices when I eat and avoid getting to the point of "desperation" where I just grab the closest food to me and eat it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the fun football cookies! Last week I snacked a bit too much with not so good snacks. But this week I am back on track. I love fresh fruit as a snack, or a few pretzels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you are able to find things that you like. It must be difficult when you are so "picky" as you say. I like almost everything so I have found that I am enjoying all the healthy veggies and things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can certainly relate to your struggle with food. I've learned a lot over the past year about what works for me and what doesn't and I think that's key - is to cater it to yourself. We snacked a good bit in my home for the game too 80% on is OK :). www.thefitknitter.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. good to hear you are back on track! At least it was an occasional indulgence and you didnt let it derail your efforts. I love cheese as a snack too. a little goes a long way with me since its so flavorful.
    http://whatadventuresawait.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good work finding your motivation! True moo chocolate milk is like crack to me. I see it in the grocery store and I just start salivating. It's one of those foods I need to delegate to the "in moderation" category.... but yes, sometimes it REALLY hits the spot!

    Thanks for visiting my blog, too - I'll bookmark yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. occasional indulgence is a part of life, as long as you are back on track it's alright. I have apples, carrots and nuts for snacks. Though I try to reduce nuts because I can never be happy with a small portion :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those pre-sliced apple packs but haven't bought them for a while! I think I may just pick some up this week! Thanks for linking up with us for Tips and Tricks Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an awesome link up!! I'll have to join in tomorrow. :) You'd love the Fit Tip Tuesday linkup! details here! http://wp.me/p2Txti-hN

    Hopefully see you Mon/Tues!
    xo
    Lisa @ The Skinny on Health

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ugh! My food has been a struggle lately! I packed all sorts of healthy snacks on my trip, but the huge gift basket got the best of me and I hat a lot more caramel corn with chocolate drizzle thank my string cheese and apples! It's been difficult lately, but I make healthy meals and track my calories, so it will come together. Thanks so much for linking up with us - I'm just getting around to catching up on the last two weeks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...