Tuesday, February 25, 2014

TV Time = Exercise Time

As I've read my magazines, internet articles and blogs, I've come across some conflicting advice regarding TV time & exercise. Some recommend turning on a show or movie to keep you entertained during exercise (and gyms have tvs and even theaters for this purpose). Other schools of thought say that distraction will make your workout less effective.

What do YOU think?

I can see the point of both ... but which one gets ME exercising? The former, most definitely. 

Watching television programs is a HUGE part of my exercise routine. It wasn't always the case. I recall sitting down and watching a show, or having something on while I puttered around the kitchen. But then it all changed.

I had the series "24" on DVD, borrowed from the local library. It was due back, so I figured I'd get double duty done ... watching my show and getting my workout in (previously, I had been working out to music only). As Jack Bauer rushed around saving the world, I couldn't believe the adrenaline rush that passed from the TV to me. I mean, here Jack was, running and fighting, and all I needed to do was put one foot in front of the other on the treadmill.

From that point on, I stopped watching TV anywhere but in my gym. Well ... the hubs and I do have some snuggle time before bed, and I make an exception to watch something with him as we wind down. But during the day? If I'm watching, I'm working out. Not just during commercial breaks, but for the entire program. I do NOT work out for hours at one time, I'll do 20 or 30 minute workouts, simply pausing my programs and coming back to them. This is incentive in and of itself. I need to finish my show each day! It's a common statement from me to hubs ... "I've got 10 more minutes on my show, I'll be back."

I know I'm spoiled, with my home gym, and a television setup in my complete control ... I never take it for granted. It is a HUGE motivator to me! I like action shows the best ... the ones that can't help but pump me up. I love serial shows, where the story carries from episode to episode, making me want to hit the gym just one more time to find out what happens. I watch all sorts of things ... in my Streaming vs DVDs post, I went into some of the technology that makes watching in my gym possible (Roku, PlayOn, Netflix).  I've discovered quite a few great songs, background music on programs that suddenly make me lighter on my feet (I try to keep my iphone handy to Shazzam songs as they come up).

When I first started blogging, one of the first link-ups I participated in was Let's Talk TV.  As I am a little OCD, I do like to keep track of everything, you can check out What I'm Watching. I actually have it all in an excel file, so I can sort it alphabetically, by when I watched it, by type of show, or my rating (just a little OCD).  I do keep up with some current shows (I watched The Biggest Loser for the first time this past season), but I'm finding I prefer to wait, and watch entire seasons back to back, rather than waiting weeks/months in between episodes.

So while I don't watch ANY television live, when it airs ... I watch a LOT of TV. But I'm walking, jogging, ellipticalling (I know that's not really a word), riding the stationary bike or doing my own cardio or weights the entire time. And I love it!

That's MY tip this Tuesday.
Linking up with Lisa and Kristin.
Check them out for more tips, and link up your own!


7 comments:

  1. I definitely think people should do whatever gets and keeps them motivated! I also vastly prefer watching tv ondemand or the whole series (when available) at one time! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use television to pre-occupy myself while I dance. MUCH easier to put in 45 minutes of non-stop dancing while I'm watching an hour-long TV program.

    That said, I also know that people can get addicted to exercise. I wonder if the ones complaining about using a tv to our exercise advantage...fall in that group. Just a thought. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I am so torn. Ideally, I would like to not watch anything while I workout, but that's just not realistic! I find a nice medium: I go to a workout class every day (no tv) and when I am relaxing and watching tv at the end of the day, I do some weights and pushups/situps/etc while watching. But when I'm running on the treadmill or doing another pretty mundane (at least for me) workout, I need that tv!

    Thanks so much for linking up! Loving your tips!

    xo
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. COULDN'T AGREE MORE! When you watch TV, you should be moving!!!!! You can relax when you go to sleep. But TV shows are supposed to be when you are walking, hit two birds with one stone, RIGHT?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I'm on the treadmill, the TV is on - either with something on the DVR a movie or just regular programming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My gym has individual TVs on the bikes, ellipticals, and the treadmills. It's great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. completely agree with this! If I'm not in an exercise class (which I don't like to pay for) my motivation is low and it's so hard to focus! If I put on an hour TV show I feel bad stopping before it's over!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...